Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humor: My Excitement = Stalker Alert for Some Random Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I saw a guy pull up into a parking lot of a foodcourt in a strip mall in his new-ish MS60 (I was on foot heading to the same foodcourt for lunch). So I followed him into the foodcourt, allowed him to order his food and approached him. Asked how he was liking his car so far. He gave me a cautious look and said "great". Told him I too was an owner (which did nothing to his calm his uneasiness). My next question was "did you read all you could on the TMC forums before you got the car" to which he replied, "I don't know what you are talking about. What forums?" :confused: So, I pointed him to this great knowledge base. He cautiously said "thanks" and went back to his business waiting for his food. Not sure if he'll check this out or not.

I forget not everyone knows about or reads these forums (dunno why they wouldn't), and maybe not as outgoing/enthusiastic. I also need to change my tactics when approaching random MS owners. :biggrin:

I'm always surprised when other owners aren't as enthusiastic as I am about my car. I think it's important to remember that a relatively low percentage of owners are actually on TMC. I think as it becomes more mainstream, there will be more and more people who just want to buy the best car available, but may have better things to do than spend hours each day on TMC.

I've noticed that I've received a little apprehensiveness as well from those areas that have more than an average number of Tesla's, LA, SF, etc. Obviously there's lots of people in those areas that are enthusiastic about the car, but a few sour grapes as well.

I've found so far here in New England that other Tesla owners do not appear to be as excited to meet each other as I am... Here's my confessions of stalking fellow owners (if any of you recognize me from these descriptions, I apologize): I am a Gray/Tan S85 owner #18055

1. Most recent - I recently relocated my office to a large complex of buildings from a different location. While making visits to check out the space and build-out, move-in, and now commuting there, I've noticed a black S85 that parks on the other end of my building. The first time I saw the car, I checked the VIN in the windshield, don't remember the exact numbers, but remember it was really early, maybe a SIG. So I was pretty excited by the coincidence that there are two Teslas (mine and mystery-person) parked at the same building of an office complex. I usually get in pretty early, like 7AM and leave around 5PM. I believe "Black" arrives sometime after I do and leaves sometime after I do. After a week or two, I left a yellow sticky note on his driver's window just saying "Nice car!" and provided my contact information and indicated I was S85 gray/tan #18055 and "notice on TMC". I assume he got the note. But zero response/interaction. Fine. Then one Friday I was leaving the office and I spotted him getting into his car as I was approaching mine - so I went over to his car and tried to get his attention with my "Tesla" coffee thermos - he probably didn't see the "Tesla" logo (maybe I should have shown him my fob or something) - he pulled out, I waved with a slightly rejected and disappointed expression on my face, no doubt, he drove away. No idea if he got that I was the other Tesla owner or not, or if he even noticed there's been a second Tesla parked at the same building every day, or if he cared. But figure okay, I tried, he's obviously not that into me! Moving on... (My wife and I joked how "like dating" this is, I just wanted him to be my friend!).

2. Supercharger - my very first supercharger experience - stopped at Darien southbound I-95 on the way to New Jersey from Boston and arrived while another S85 or P85 was parked with two occupants. I waved, got a little "nod" back, but that was all - it was super cold out, maybe they didn't want to roll down their windows and say hi...

3. Driving through my small town "downtown" area - I was going one way, slowly (lots of pedestrians about on a nice day), and another Tesla was coming the other way. I flashed my lights, waved, didn't get his attention. Started frantically flashing my lights and waving, probably looked like a crazed lunatic. He passed by, eyes forward, not acknowledging my existence at all. I was crushed :(.

People are different I guess, if a Tesla pulled next to me, I imagine I would have tried to strike up a conversation with the fellow owner, waved, smiled, acknowledged their presence. But, maybe some owners just want to be left alone. "It's just a car"... Of course we New Englanders are known to be a little "cold" to strangers. Maybe Tesla ownership doesn't transcend that... We're still strangers.

All of these stories made me laugh! So far I have only run into enthusiastic owners, thankfully. The last random encounter was two older gentleman in a white MS. When we finally got to stop next to each other at a light, they were super excited to have a quick chat with me, and they had only had their car for 3 weeks.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I experience the rejection described in this thread!

Thanks for starting this thread. I had my first unenthusiastic Model S owner encounter the other night at a dinner party and was really shocked they had no interest in talking about our cars! Glad to know it wasn't just me (or them).

Good reminder that not everyone is as much an enthusiast about cars, or the Model S in particular, as we are here on TMC. Self selection bias and all...

My wife is totally jealous that I get the Tesla wave, lights flash, etc. when we're out and about. Apparently when she was driving my car, she saw another Tesla, started honking the horn, flashing the lights, rolled her window down and started yelling at the guy only to get a confused shrug of shoulders from the other driver. I'm sure she looked nuts.

Since we're all confessing, I have a Model S stalking problem too. There's a grey/tan/pano that parks off Rt 70 in Cherry Hill - whenever I'm in the area during business hours, I'll take a 2 minute detour and drive by the parking lot to take a look - always in the same reserved spot

Today I saw a white MS in Ocean City, NJ - honked, waved, thumbs up from my Honda - I think he raised an eyebrow in response

I'm from British Columbia, and recently went on a road trip through Washington and Oregon, specifically to check out the Superchargers. The first Tesla I came across was at Centralia - same model, same colour. It was driving rain, but the owner of the other Tesla came out and we talked about a whole range of topics related to Tesla and EVs and energy and so on. I also came across a silver Model S (it looks good in silver!) in Oregon, and the owner of that car was incredibly excited to meet another owner. It was the first "other Model S" he had seen. (He's a rancher, so he is relatively isolated). Again, we talked for long enough that the cars were charged before we were finished talking. I think I freaked him out with the distance display set to kilometres. :)

So, small sample size, but I have only met incredibly enthusiastic Model S owners!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I should mention that I've come across three other Model S' locally, and in all 3 instances there was a wave at the very least.

I cannot imagine what my reaction will be the first time I see another Tesla on the Denali or the Richardson Highways. But I rather suspect it will induce a WTF-I-gotta-get-outa-here-NOW! response from the poor stranger.

I got all of you beat
I am not proud to say the funny trick I came up with
Was in a parking lot looking for a curb spot and low and be hold a beautiful blue s
right there !
it said parking for rib city only!
so I figured the driver must be in that restaurant
so I grabbed the original white and red Tesla folder and pulled a Ferris Bueler
Walked in and started saying anyone, anyone . no response
Gave up went to Verizon to get my Iphone because the car needs a smart phone
to tell me how many miles it has on it remotely.
walked out , and to my huge surprise a silver S is driving through the same parking lot
I started waiving my Tesla folder frantically and got the drivers attention
First thing I said was did you see the blue S over there
And he said, of course I did just had lunch with him
Friendly guy, Goes by name doc something here on the forums .

Last edited: