Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hundreds of Dismissals this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Solar City layoffs in Roseville....

Thanks for the reports.

Note that those reports were past layoffs that were required to be reported to Employment Development Department.

This round is not classified as layoffs but more like cleaning house of underperformed workers as identified by annual employee self-assessment.

Thus, this round is not reportable and the number does not have to be publicly disclosed.

Reactions: RobertF
I was wondering how many were solar related departures.

Since the number is not publicly disclosed, it's just a rumor.

But the rumor is not denied by Tesla but it just wants us to use the wording correctly: it's not a layoff!

The article said: "Model X, Model S and former SolarCity operations seemed to be targeted."

It estimates the total number to about 400-700 but there's no break down for the details.

There are always ‘consolidations’ when you combine operations, and I’d read that some of the Solar City personnel were pretty low level salespeople. So, we don’t really have details on the details, as it were. Did this just happen this week? I would have thought EOQ would have been more logical timing or perhaps that was when the decision was made...

Per the Mercury news, hundreds laid off.

Explanations vary, but the most interesting tidbit I take away from the article is the following quote:

"Workers spoke on the condition of anonymity because they feared reprisals from the company. Employees said the firings have lowered morale through many departments. Several said Model X, Model S and former SolarCity operations seemed to be targeted."

I'm inferring that Osborne effect is likely behind this (Osborne effect by definition doesn't quite fit because it suggests the cannibalization is unintended and unforeseen). Musk has known this was going to happen the whole time. Stands to reason that some measurable portion of the 500K M3 reservations are cannibalizing S and X sales. Solar City as we all know is a different animal.

I find the article interesting though it doesn't support any single conclusion, but if indeed the quoted departments were hit, it might suggest efficiencies in the established part of the business are being established for the M3 ramp.

Any conspiracy theorists want to take an alternate view?

Thoughts?

This is about the fourth thread that has been started on this topic. Have asked the moderator to merge with existing thread at Hundreds of Dismissals this week

Seriously. If a person doesn’t post a link to a new Tesla article less than 15 minutes from release of said article, chances are 110% that it’s already been posted at least 6 times already. Fact.