Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hundreds stranded on Coquihalla Highway overnight, forced to sleep in their cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a Tesla, just turn on the heat all night in "camper mode"...easy. Doesn't even use that many miles of range.

For camping in Arizona I'm sure it doesn't. It's a whole other ball game if you get caught in -20 weather on a mountain highway with high blowing winds. Range can be eaten up quite fast trying to stay warm in those conditions, especially once the battery becomes cold soaked.

Lol. Arizona is not all sun and fun. Coldest recorded temp is -40. People like Bjorn sleep in their Tesla's in Norway etc so very doable. Under semi normal conditions, you use 10-25 miles of range. Severe conditions, I'm guessing maybe 50? Would like to hear any real world examples. I used camper mode about 20 times on my 48 state and Canada road trip, so I've done it a fair amount of times, but not in anything considered severe conditions.

In a Tesla, just turn on the heat all night in "camper mode"...easy. Doesn't even use that many miles of range.

Next to moving the car, heating draws the most power. I've had to make a few winter drives without heat to get an extra 40km of range. So, I don't think your statement is good advice.

Even by your guesstimate, a 50 mile bite is what... 20% of your battery?
Still... it beats freezing and you can always call roadside assistance for a tow when it thaws.

I've never thought to leave it in my car, but myJet Boil in the car would be such a practical, easy, and reliable way to stay warm in a case like this. Boil water to have hot drinks and fill a Nalgene with boiling water and put in between layers of clothing to stay warm for a very long time.

Throw in some freeze dried meals and you're living well.

Reactions: Jaff and doubeld
Closed again last night with drivers stranded:

Coquihalla Highway closed again with drivers stranded overnight

I remember before they privately contracted the highways and you'd see a lot more of the plows and salt trucks. Then they put it up for bid. Now, during a seasonably warm winter, the contractors rake it in. During one like this, they struggle to keep it open trying to do just as much as necessary rather than too much, and it's not enough. I drive the number 3 a lot and I can go from Hope to Princeton without seeing a plow or salt truck during snowy weather.

Reactions: Jaff