Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If one has a whole house generator you could even charge the car during a power failure. Pretty cool.

If one has gasoline to power their whole house generator they could just pour a bit into an ICE car in a pinch as well...

With the explosion of Model 3s there may be lines at superchargers on the way out of Florida as well. Last time Irma came through in the Fall of 2017 (pre model 3) there was only a fraction of Tesla’s there are now. There certainly are some benefits, but EVs aren't foolproof.

If one has gasoline to power their whole house generator they could just pour a bit into an ICE car in a pinch as well...

With the explosion of Model 3s there may be lines at superchargers on the way out of Florida as well. Last time Irma came through in the Fall of 2017 (pre model 3) there was only a fraction of Tesla’s there are now. There certainly are some benefits, but EVs aren't foolproof.
Most whole house generators are run on NG or Propane.

Was thinking about long gas lines in Florida ahead of the hurricane. How nice is it not to have to wait in line for gas. If one has a whole house generator you could even charge the car during a power failure. Pretty cool.
I posted the photo here with the caption "How are those water and gas lines? Asking for a friend." in my community FB group of about 40k blue collar/hard right leaning coal rolling neighbors and I about caused a riot. The goal was to entice the few who are open minded, but unaware of the benefits which I did by refuting anti comments with facts. Doing my part to make sure Tesla sticks around for the long run by spreading the knowledge.
IMG_20190829_191113.jpg

I know ev, while I love them, are gonna be less flexible in an emergency situation. Gas cars yah there’s line but gas is everywhere. Supercharger and ev chargers are rare plus you got to wait around

I have thought about this a lot. Here in Oregon we have two major disaster scenarios. The common one is winter storms. They are forcastable and so I can fully charge before they hit before the chance of losing power. While my power may be out, the transmission grid is extremely unlikely to be totally down and I can plug in at my datacenter which has two dedicated underground feeds from a substation that is fed from five different transmission lines.

The other scenario is a Subduction Zone Earthquake. I charge to 80% every night, so odds are I will have 80%. Worst case is right after work and I have 65%. Everything will be down (power and gas stations) so perhaps I can drive far enough on that battery to get somewhere with a working grid (how long the delay to charge is does not matter since I am not fleeing anything time sensitive). Though it will probably be a week before roads are clear enough to make that trip.

The point being that I am better off than the average ICE car driver as my average state of charge is likely better than theirs at any given time (but it is harder for me to store energy - though I can change slowly from my generator).

So the Florida question: The good news is that you can charge to 100% before leaving (no fighting for gas). But you probably need to flee father than one charge let’s you.

I have a kit that lets me hard wire into any electrical panel and so I would try to make a friend half way. :) Charge overnight. I can literally figure out how to charge off just about any electrical panel. Actually, RV parks are great options (though too many Tesla’s would cause major issues).

Except when power goes down in a storm.
By law, all FL gas stations must have backup generators to operate the stations during outages. Also, it isn't like the whole state loses power for prolonged periods. There are always scattered areas without loss of power or are back up fast. With Dorian approaching we saw a crew of 10 line trucks staged in our local Publix plaza waiting to react post storm. FL is familiar with these storms and their aftermath and is appropriately prepared in the best ways possible.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3