Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Florence Evacuation in an EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This shouldn't be a problem for any Tesla. The 170 miles that even a shorter range car kept at 80% has every morning will be more than ample to get out of the storm's path without recharging and charging infrastructure that far isn't likely to be affected by the weather or all that crowded.

The only place I'd worry about is Florida - anyone living down at the southern end might have to evacuate the length of the state with a hurricane following them the whole way and more evacuees added every step of the way (Florence obviously won't do this.)

In that case, finding charging in northern Florida to continue the evacuation might be problematic, but if past history is a guide, for the moment finding gas would be at least as problematic.

I would think evacuating in a Leaf might be a bit scary, but any Tesla should be OK. If traffic is crawling along around 25 mph you might be able to hypermile a bit, though not if stop and go.

Back when hurricane Rita hit Houston there was a lot of fear and loathing because of what happened in New Orleans a few weeks earlier. I have a friend who was in Sugar Land and dutifully evacuated with everyone else. The traffic was so bogged down he figured they might get some flooding at their house, but they were inland far enough they should ride out the storm OK. He and his wife had a bad argument all the way home, but he pointed out their chances of dying in the traffic jam were much higher than at home.

Their neighborhood had a bunch of trees knocked down and a lot of fence damage, but they rode it out fine. Some people did die in the traffic jam, but I believe it was from a bus that caught on fire. Something for the ICE vehicles are dangerous thread...

NC-OCT2016.png

After a storm in October, 2016 parts of I-95 in North Carolina were closed because of flooding and a long detour was established around Lumberton. Both Lumberton and Warsaw Superchargers were closed for a period. I think the main issue was that they were not accessible due to localized flooding.

Tesla is reportedly sending the following notification to some vehicles:

We are temporarily enabling your car to access additional battery capacity, as well as free Supercharging, in preparation for Hurricane Florence. We hope that this gives you the peace of mind to get to a safe location, and will notify you before returning your car to its original configuration in mid-October. Badging on your display may adjust during this period. Safe travels!

We are in the Raleigh, NC area and not planning to evacuate at this time, but I did receive the evacuation temporary promotion for our MS 60 today. Tesla has given us a temporary upgrade for our Software Limited MS 60 to access the full 75Kw battery. They also gave us free supercharging but we already have that. VERY IMPRESSED that Tesla does this!!!

Reactions: aesculus
I was out running errands yesterday and got a free charge at the Fredericksburg, VA Supercharger. I-95 north was very busy and I took Route 1 most of the way to avoid the traffic. I was surprised that there was only one other Tesla charging.