TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Hurricane Irma, no power, how can we keep the Tesla on to assist?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fiksegts, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

I have an AC adapter to power our router and am charing some devices via USB, but the car keeps turning off after some time, how can we keep it on?

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Leave a door ajar?

I believe there is also a relay that can be shunted. Or you can get the 12v directly from the battery posts (be sure to use a fuse).

Edit - I think there is some other trick. Perhaps in neutral with the ebrake on? Look for “how to keep AC on. I think it would also keep the 12v alive.

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yes, I think neutral with the e-brake on (via the control screen) works. Make sure to turn off the climate control if you don't need it.

How are the conditions there in Miami?

• Like x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Search for camping mode. Don't recall the particulars myself but that's the trick you want. I do believe the Remote S app (works for both cars) can do this also?

Best of luck to all dealing with Irma!

5. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

There's camper mode, put the car in neutral and enable the parking brake through the touchscreen. Turn off any associated lights and hvac to conserve power.

• Informative x 1
  6. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Hope everyone who is riding out the storm in Florida remains safe.

It will be interesting to hear how well a Tesla works as an emergency power source for you and others. If your area isn't flooded but you lose power for an extended period of time, the car's 12V power port will obviously allow you to charge phones and small devices. But can you power cooking appliances or even a portable cooler, I wonder?

7. Tazman

Tazman Member

Put a generator in the trunk

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

You have to be careful, the 12v power port has a fuse protecting it. It is rated at 150W, so don't try to draw more than that.

• Informative x 2
  9. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

putting the car in neutral and setting the emergency brake worked, however you can't turn off the headlights, I was able to power two 115v devices to a power inverter that plugs into the cigarette plug and charge 3-4 USB devices.

• Informative x 2
  10. TIppy

TIppy Active Member

#10 TIppy, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Range mode will turn off the headlights. I think it's just the daytime running lights.

• Informative x 1
  11. wbeck

wbeck Member

IMG_4759.JPG Had my car in neutral with ebrake on, AC off, display on night mode. Hooked up a 12v to 110 converter. I was able to power an evaporative cooler for some AC relief along with my fridge periodically.

This was setup for 2 days and worked amazingly!

This car continues to amaze me!

• Like x 3