Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Irma, no power, how can we keep the Tesla on to assist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AC adapter to power our router and am charing some devices via USB, but the car keeps turning off after some time, how can we keep it on?
Leave a door ajar?

I believe there is also a relay that can be shunted. Or you can get the 12v directly from the battery posts (be sure to use a fuse).

Edit - I think there is some other trick. Perhaps in neutral with the ebrake on? Look for “how to keep AC on. I think it would also keep the 12v alive.

Hope everyone who is riding out the storm in Florida remains safe.

It will be interesting to hear how well a Tesla works as an emergency power source for you and others. If your area isn't flooded but you lose power for an extended period of time, the car's 12V power port will obviously allow you to charge phones and small devices. But can you power cooking appliances or even a portable cooler, I wonder?

Hope everyone who is riding out the storm in Florida remains safe.

It will be interesting to hear how well a Tesla works as an emergency power source for you and others. If your area isn't flooded but you lose power for an extended period of time, the car's 12V power port will obviously allow you to charge phones and small devices. But can you power cooking appliances or even a portable cooler, I wonder?

You have to be careful, the 12v power port has a fuse protecting it. It is rated at 150W, so don't try to draw more than that.

IMG_4759.JPG
Had my car in neutral with ebrake on, AC off, display on night mode. Hooked up a 12v to 110 converter. I was able to power an evaporative cooler for some AC relief along with my fridge periodically.

This was setup for 2 days and worked amazingly!

This car continues to amaze me!