Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Matthew

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Tampa, but heading to Orlando tomorrow for meetings through the weekend. Decided to take my wife's ICE vehicle for 2 reasons. First, it is an SUV with high clearance for the flooded streets. Second, have no issues with sufficient charge to get there in my car, but concerned about charger availability for the return trip.

Just playing it safe.

All "hurricane territory" Tesla owners need to add a new "to do" on their hurricane prep list:

"Fully charge Tesla"

Best of luck to our East Coast friends. Lets hope this one stays off shore (even though the East Coast will still take a hit because of the size of this one!)

I'm in Tampa, but heading to Orlando tomorrow for meetings through the weekend. Decided to take my wife's ICE vehicle for 2 reasons. First, it is an SUV with high clearance for the flooded streets. Second, have no issues with sufficient charge to get there in my car, but concerned about charger availability for the return trip.
1. I'd consider postponing your trip
2. I'd be more concerned about the availability of fuel for your ICE than I'd be about finding a charge.

Reactions: Cyclone and nwdiver
I remember the traffic when evacuating for Floyd 17 years ago- it took over 12 hours to go 80 miles! The beach is no place to be in a storm! I'm heading north in a few minutes to stay at my sisters near Atlanta.

PS: I was told that motels/hotels, even above Macon, GA, are already completely booked.

1. I'd consider postponing your trip
2. I'd be more concerned about the availability of fuel for your ICE than I'd be about finding a charge.

So far, meetings have not cancelled (actually at Disney - not Orlando).

Agreed re fuel for ICE, but the range on our ICE is much better than my Tesla. I can have a fully charged Tesla waiting for me at home, and have plenty of fuel in the tank of my wife's car after we return. Barring crazy developments, we do not expect too much crazy weather on the west coast.

I'm actually more concerned about flooded streets at Disney. Almost got trapped in a flooded street last week after a major downpour in Tampa. Fortunately was able to put the car in extra high mode and slowly get out of the flooded area.

Looks bad:
hwrf_mslp_wind_14L_8.png

Matthew_Surge.jpg

VAB after 'only' 60kt winds:
KSC-04PD-1958_zpsbcc49487.jpg

FL east coast refugee here. Where should we post about open/closed Superchargers in the areas affected by Hurricane Mathew?
Hurricane Mathew has left us stranded on the west coast of FL till power is restored at home. I would like to start or join a thread on which SuperChargers are open or closed. Where should this thread go in the forum?
84,000 power outages as of 11:24PM 10/6/2016.
Thank you

FL east coast refugee here. Where should we post about open/closed Superchargers in the areas affected by Hurricane Mathew?
Hurricane Mathew has left us stranded on the west coast of FL till power is restored at home. I would like to start or join a thread on which SuperChargers are open or closed. Where should this thread go in the forum?
84,000 power outages as of 11:24PM 10/6/2016.
Thank you

Why not the Florida sub-forum? I see already at least one thread about Hurricane Matthew.

Florida

Take care and stay safe,

Bruce.

Reactions: msnow
We need a thread to communicate which Super Chargers are open or closed in the Hurricanes path.

I am an East Coast Refugee taking refuge at the Holiday Inn in Bradenton on the West Coast of FL with my Tesla. I will not return home until power has been restored. More for Air conditioning., but also for Tesla charging.

Weather Channel reports 84,000 power outages now.

We need a thread to communicate which Super Chargers are open or closed in the Hurricanes path.

I am an East Coast Refugee taking refuge at the Holiday Inn in Bradenton on the West Coast of FL with my Tesla. I will not return home until power has been restored. More for Air conditioning., but also for Tesla charging.

Hopefully power gets restored quickly and you can return home this weekend. Glad you didn't try to stay.

So far, meetings have not cancelled (actually at Disney - not Orlando).

Agreed re fuel for ICE, but the range on our ICE is much better than my Tesla. I can have a fully charged Tesla waiting for me at home, and have plenty of fuel in the tank of my wife's car after we return. Barring crazy developments, we do not expect too much crazy weather on the west coast.

I'm actually more concerned about flooded streets at Disney. Almost got trapped in a flooded street last week after a major downpour in Tampa. Fortunately was able to put the car in extra high mode and slowly get out of the flooded area.
Not sure if you've seen but Disney has shut down most of their Operations and their hotels are basically in lockdown through Friday. Check out Important Information on Hurricane Matthew for details.

Hi Fred,

Where do you plan to charge? At Culver's Ice cream?

Larry

Larry
Charged at Tampa yesterday morning. Have 235 miles remaining for a normal 161 mile trip. Would like to confirm Fort Drum, Ft Pierce and West Palm Beach are operational before heading home on SR70.
Any information would be helpful in case roads are full of storm debris.

I must say that I am amused by all the lines at gas stations (having sat through many after Hurricane Andrew). So long as the power holds up, I'm worry free!

My most vivid "storm memories" are Hurricanes Andrew and Wilma and Tropical Storm Gordon. There were many others, but those are the ones that disrupted my South Florida life the most. I actually thought about that when I got my S, thinking I won't have to suffer through an emergency supply line just to get gas!