Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Sandy: delivery impacts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, enough of all this focus on property damage and flooding, let's focus on the really important issue: how will Hurricane Sandy effect Model S deliveries, especially those of us on the East Coast. I, for one, have been told my Model S is on a truck, headed to NYC to arrive on Wednesday (then prep'd and delivered to Boston). It's worth pointing out that this is just my luck... as soon as I'm close to getting my car, a freaking hurricane is timed to meet it on its way to me. I mean, really?!? But I also noticed that the Telsa NYC location is under a MANDATORY evacuation order (link: http://www.google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy-nyc). So now it seems that even if my car were delivered to NYC, it might be under water. Or, at minimum, delayed in it's prep. Again, my luck.

Makes me wish my delivery was going to TX.

Floridians sympathize with you; but also advise to worry about your house more than your car. Tesla will probably make sure your car is held somewhere safe until the storm is all over, so that's one less thing for you to worry about. Remember, even if you got your car it's unlikely you'd be doing much driving in the coming days.

On the other hand, it may delay it just long enough for Tesla to get their Sales license here so your delivery / paperwork / etc. will be much easier and save you from 2 hours at the RMV :smile:

OK, enough of all this focus on property damage and flooding, let's focus on the really important issue: how will Hurricane Sandy effect Model S deliveries, especially those of us on the East Coast. I, for one, have been told my Model S is on a truck, headed to NYC to arrive on Wednesday (then prep'd and delivered to Boston). It's worth pointing out that this is just my luck... as soon as I'm close to getting my car, a freaking hurricane is timed to meet it on its way to me. I mean, really?!? But I also noticed that the Telsa NYC location is under a MANDATORY evacuation order (link: http://www.google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy-nyc). So now it seems that even if my car were delivered to NYC, it might be under water. Or, at minimum, delayed in it's prep. Again, my luck.

Makes me wish my delivery was going to TX.

In an unsolicited e-mail last night, we were informed that shipment to the East Coast has been suspended this week due to the hurricane.

That's interesting... I did not get such an email. My car was supposed to be delivered to NYC today, then on to Boston (by Friday?). I have no expectation of getting my car much before next week some time...

Maybe yours was already in transit by the time the suspension took effect and will be unaffected or less affected than those that haven't left Fremont yet?

I know the NYC store in the gallery district is in the no-power zone, but the service center is in Queens (Long Island City) and I haven't left the island yet to see how the outer burroughs are faring.

No news since being told a couple of weeks ago my delivery window has been moved to Oct 27 - Nov 6. Signed a few more papers then, but not yet as the stage of title, etc as described by Cinergi on other thread. Sent an email yesterday asking if some visibility on the delivery date, as I need to plan some non-Tesla business; no answer yet. Wish they are OK in NY.
On the bright side, I just saw on the shipper's tracking site that my (separately ordered) winter wheels/tires were delivered today in Watertown! Btw, communications on that order by Marcelo Valdez from Fremont have been outstanding.

No news since being told a couple of weeks ago my delivery window has been moved to Oct 27 - Nov 6. Signed a few more papers then, but not yet as the stage of title, etc as described by Cinergi on other thread. Sent an email yesterday asking if some visibility on the delivery date, as I need to plan some non-Tesla business; no answer yet. Wish they are OK in NY.
On the bright side, I just saw on the shipper's tracking site that my (separately ordered) winter wheels/tires were delivered today in Watertown! Btw, communications on that order by Marcelo Valdez from Fremont have been outstanding.
Hey -- what's your reservation #? And, does your comment imply that the Watertown service center is open?

I was just watching the news on television with stories about gas lines being arround the block. I was wondering about the fate of power for Electric vehicles in the affected areas of "Sandy". would it be possible to do a survey about that? better, worse, same as ICE vehicles.

As a west coaster, I was sitting here thanking our lucky stars that Tesla wasn't building cars in New Jersey. Then it occurred to me that the most feared of earthquake faults in California is the Hayward fault which runs a few hundred yards from Tesla's Fremont factory. Perfect, now I've got something else to fret about!

hayward20fault20map.jpg