Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane & Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most cell towers don't have anything more than battery backup which may last only a few days if you're lucky. Some do have generator connections, but does the cell company have enough generators and can they get them deployed where needed?

Also, regarding the SpC release if the power fails, yes, simply press the button on the handle as always. Even w/o power the proximity release still works.

A lot of the cell towers in the Portland, OR area have permanently installed generators... (I have no idea how long their fuel supply would last for.)

... Curious on how long cell towers operate during an outage. And if you have your network equipment on a UPS does that mean you can have wifi during an outage?
My local tower has 10-12 hours of backup batteries inside. For an outage longer than that they have to bring in a diesel generator on a trailer. (How do I know? I got a tour!) :eek: :D :cool:

I'd love a solar tile roof. However, I live on a golf course. It would depend on impact resistance. :D
Regular solar modules are tested for susceptability to hail damage using golf and/or ice balls shot at them.
Are solar panels tested for hail? | Solar Drop
The video at the bottom of the page illustrates this process wonderfully:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
I'd love a solar tile roof. However, I live on a golf course. It would depend on impact resistance. :D
After going through the 3 hurricanes of 2004 & 4 days w/o power in each of the 3 events I bought this Honda Generator (earlier model). When the power goes out the Honda comes on. Stock up on some gas & Sta-Bil.

STA-BIL 360 Performance Marine | Gold Eagle

Honda EU3000iS Portable Inverter Generator — 3000 Surge Watts, 2800 Rated Watts, CARB Compliant, Model# EU3000IS1A | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

Worlds fastest supercharger unit !
0-100% in 2.54 miliseconds! (available for french drivers, only:D);

6a0105371bb32c970b019aff902d26970b-pi

Now serious stuff, I wonder whether its safe to let car keep charging at the open, when we start seeing lightnings around. Are there any charging stations with lightning rods in vicinity? Anyone cares this?