Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane vs EV... I can't power my home with the Tesla because it is in the body shop... Bolt to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, I was not in the direct path of Hurricane Ian, but if you can find a charity (give send go, go fund me, etc.) for people in the devastation zones please drop them a few bucks... but verify it isn't a scammer first.

On to my story. My wife reports that there were high winds and heavy rain throughout the night Wednesday night here in my area of Florida... but I snored my way through them and never noticed :)

Yesterday as Hurricane Ian was approaching I texted my wife from work to plug in our spare refrigerator that lives in the garage, I figured it would be much easier to transfer food after cooling it down all day and power that fridge if needed rather than running an extension cord into the house and moving the fridge out from the wall so I could move the plug to the extension cord. When I got home I took the Bolt off of Hill Top Reserve mode (HTR reserves battery capacity for regen if you live at the top of a hill, charges to 88% SOC) and charged it up to 100% for only the second time since getting the new battery pack.

As evening approached and more and more reports of power outages even in areas not in the direct path of the storm came in I decided to set up my inverter on the Bolt. Half way through getting it set up the lights went out!

I have a 1000W pure sign wave inverter that I can run off of the Bolt, or off of a battery bank I have set up that has four 75 amp hour deep cycle 12V batteries (3.6 kWh) for if / when I have to drive the car. The battery bank is probably only actually good for 2 kWh since it is made up of the old batteries I removed from my Ryobi riding lawn mower when I upgraded it to 100 amp hour batteries... but if needed I can pull those new batteries out and make an new 4.8 kWh 12V bank... it would just be a massive pain in the butt :)

After power went out at 9:45ish PM, I had the inverter powered up and supplying the fridge only for over night. In 12 hours it consumed 3.9 kWh out of the (thanks to the recall) brand new 66 kWh traction battery. That would give me the ability to power just the fridge for 8 days. When running, the fridge is only consuming 144 watts of power according to my clamp on meter, and much less when the compressor is off. Figure a 50% duty cycle for the compressor and you chop that down to 75 watts, that clamp on meter reading includes the losses in the inverter so you can figure a bit more than half of that power was consumed by the car computer systems remaining active. Looks like around 175 watts to power the car systems with climate control off and the entertainment system set to low power mode. That is much less than I expected.

People in the direct path will be out of power for that long (8 days) or worse, but I expect my area to regain power sooner than that, also I will have the ability to charge the Bolt at work while the 3.6 kWh battery pack keeps the fridge cold, so I decided to hook up a few "luxury" items... I plugged in my router and modem and to my surprise I have internet! I was getting nothing on my 4G phone internet connection, so having the home internet available is wonderful.

First thing I did was check weather updates and hurricane news, second stop was the Bolt forum and then hear to tell about my inverter use :)

Using an inverter off of the 12V battery in the Bolt is common knowledge for the tinkering type of Bolt owners, I assume there is something similar that can be done with the Y if mine had not been in the body shop for rear hatch repair / replacement? If so, how much power can you draw without killing the 12V battery? On the Bolt, you can do around 1.5 KW continuous load max.

Later,

Keith

First of all hope you and your family are safe and sound.

Second.. this really underlines the NEED for EVs to support bi-directional charging straight from the factory production floor going forward. Look I get it, no auto manufacturer wants to be responsible for the additional warranty concerns on an EV battery that could possibly endure extra stress when used to power appliances or a home. But think about what is going to be needed to support the oncoming addition of millions of EV's on the road every year from now basically into the future. Our power grids are fragile as is. And if all of these millions of EVs are going to be taking energy from that grid/home.. we need to think about smarter ways to store that energy. And also smarter ways to feed it back to the grid/home in times like this when it's direly needed. The vast majority of Americans simply cannot afford a $60K EV + $50K in solar panels + $30K in dedicated home Powerball batteries. That said most Americans will be able to afford a new EV.. even if that point is later ($26,000 Bolts are for sale right now).

Ford hit a home run with the incredible bi-direction charging versatility of the EV-F150 Lightning's HUGE 142kWh battery pack + extra 120/240V V2L charging capabilities. If I lived in an area where storms & power loss were common.. that truck would be at the top of my EV want list for that reason alone. It would be really nice to see these added types of versatile V2L, V2H, or VSG features offered in ALL new EVs because it makes so much sense.

Even if it's just a minimum of the 3.6kW V2L functionality that is available on the new Hyundai Ioniq5, KIA EV6, and Genesis GV60 via either the 16A 120VAC outlet underneath the rear seat.. or the optional 15A 120VAC V2L adapter. When fully charged, these EVs can power something like a refrigerator for almost 2 weeks!

I think I would rather have a backup Generator for emergencies than to drain the Battery from my car. My parents and Niece live in the Clearwater Largo area. They have no power. Everyone is at my parents house and luckily they have a generator. They can power the Fridge a Microwave some lights and a Window A/C unit. Unfortunately my Mom had to take my Dad to the Hospital this morning due to a medical emergency. They won't let my Mom stay at the Hospital because they are on emergency power according to my Mom

I think I would rather have a backup Generator for emergencies than to drain the Battery from my car. My parents and Niece live in the Clearwater Largo area. They have no power. Everyone is at my parents house and luckily they have a generator. They can power the Fridge a Microwave some lights and a Window A/C unit. Unfortunately my Mom had to take my Dad to the Hospital this morning due to a medical emergency. They won't let my Mom stay at the Hospital because they are on emergency power according to my Mom
Yes, that’s what I did in NJ after hurricane Sandy, installed a whole home 20kw natural gas automatic generator. As soon as the power goes out, 3 seconds later the generator kicks in and no longer in the dark. The east $10k investment made.

Yes, that’s what I did in NJ after hurricane Sandy, installed a whole home 20kw natural gas automatic generator. As soon as the power goes out, 3 seconds later the generator kicks in and no longer in the dark. The east $10k investment made.
Similar here. 20KW propane generator. Tested it charging the car last week before Ian and no problem. Fully 11KW charging. Even had home AC running. Although we wait 10 seconds here, power fluctuates all the time during our rainy season with all the thunderstorms.

The east $10k investment made.

Did you consider solar and batteries? I looked into generators but for them to truly be relied on when needed they needed to be run at least bi-annually and preferably every month. Seemed like a PITA.

I've heard a lot of stories from people that had a generator but failed to properly maintain it so it wasn't there when they needed it. Nice thing about the solar I have now is that I use it literally everyday and it's something that saves me money 365 days of the year not just the rare occasion the grid is down.

Here is a picture of my inverter setup on the Bolt.

inverter.jpg

And here is my "power wall" :D I decided to use 3 of the deep cycle 75 amp hour batteries because two cells are perfect, one is slightly weak, and the 4th was really weak.

pack.jpg

Later,

Keith

Power just came back on, I will run my "emergency setup" for another 15 min to get a 24 hour kWh used number, with the last 12 hours including the "luxury" items of a fan, modem, wireless router, and running the battery charger to top off my "power wall" :)

Back in 15 with update...

Keith

Did you consider solar and batteries? I looked into generators but for them to truly be relied on when needed they needed to be run at least bi-annually and preferably every month. Seemed like a PITA.

I've heard a lot of stories from people that had a generator but failed to properly maintain it so it wasn't there when they needed it. Nice thing about the solar I have now is that I use it literally everyday and it's something that saves me money 365 days of the year not just the rare occasion the grid is down.
If he has a permanent y generator like my neighbor, it will run once a week to exercise it. In my case, the neighbors runs at 1pm every Saturday, ask me how I know…..

First thing I did was check weather updates and hurricane news, second stop was the Bolt forum and then hear to tell about my inverter use :)

Using an inverter off of the 12V battery in the Bolt is common knowledge for the tinkering type of Bolt owners, I assume there is something similar that can be done with the Y if mine had not been in the body shop for rear hatch repair / replacement? If so, how much power can you draw without killing the 12V battery? On the Bolt, you can do around 1.5 KW continuous load max.

Later,

Keith
We have a 22 page thread in the model 3 subforum about this general topic.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
All right, for a full 24 hours of use, my total was 8.2 kWh, so my "luxury" items added a whopping 0.4 kWh more than just the Fridge. Based on 8.6 kWh every 24 hours (running the fan, modem, wireless router etc) I could still run for over 7 and a half days if I started on a full battery and went to empty in the Bolt.

Later,

Keith
First glad you and your family survived Ian without much trauma. I feel sorry for all the folks without power as I'm sure it's going to get warm and humid and without power, even healthy and hardy folks can wilt in that soup. We donated some cash to the American Red Cross. Stay safe.

I agree most folks need at least 24 to 36 hours of backup "emergency power" an EV would be the perfect source. One assumes the EV owner would have heeded all the weather warnings and charge up their EV as full as they are comfortable with. I'd hate to be stranded in my home with a fully charged EV sitting in my garage and no way to access the power.

FWIW.. I see the whole home backup generator as a very different solution than using your EV to "Power house or other things". The backup generator is a significantly more expensive standalone device that does an awesome job at one thing = providing backup energy to your entire house.

Whereas being able to use the main battery pack in the EV you already drive is a much more versatile and mobile solution. There doesn't need to be an emergency for the mobile solution to be useful. Hell, I would love to be able to power a 42" flatscreen and a few other items while tailgating with my Model Y for example. Meanwhile, I would probably never purchase a whole home generator.. for the same reason Im probably never buying solar = There is no guarantee we will stay in this home. We could literally move to another state next year. Since I already drive an EV.. and probably will for the next 30-40 years.. all I want to do is access the power stored in the vehicle I have already purchased and use on a daily basis. Even if using my EV.. to charge my wife's EV.. because she ran out of battery and is stuck on the side of the highway lol.

TL: DR.. the generator is great for power emergencies that happen at your home. V2L and other EV tech are great for power needs.. or emergencies.. that can happen anywhere (including your home).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourdoor

Only maintenance is a $80 maintenance kit from Amazon, which is oil, spark plug, air filter yearly change. I use 5w30 Castro GTX synthetic oil to change my oil vs regular oil Kohler recommended. No issues at all 6 years. Also keep, don’t see anything else to maintain. Unless you have a major castrophie like generator under water and you blew the computer switchboard, then you may have to call for service. Solar is gimmick I feel and not a feasible option as northeast winters, we lose power for days due to tree falls on above ground utilities. Solar power & power wall batteries, read the horror stories online.. my electric bill in not high enough for me to spend or invest solar powered items. I’ve called many companies and 13kw system is about $25k to $35k upfront in NJ. I doubt if I ever use this much power in my lifetime.

I’ve called many companies and 13kw system is about $25k to $35k upfront in NJ. I doubt if I ever use this much power in my lifetime.

It's pretty common to get a 20 year loan these days for solar. After the tax credit you'd be looking at ~$125/mo in loan payments but you'll save ~$300/mo on your electric bill. Seems like a pretty good deal to me....

Reactions: Johnny Vector
My backup generator is a bank of 66 solar panels that keep my three Power Walls full. PG&E is constantly losing power where we live, for no apparent reason. We often don't know we are in a power outage until days later.

It is expensive to buy thee power walls, and expensive to have 66 solar panels. Not sure of how the cost-benefit curve looks. But it's what I did, and we don't have power outages at my place. Nor do we have the drone of a gas-powered generator going all night during an electrical outage.

We have a small college here that runs a huge generator to power its campus, and people drive up there and charge their cell phones as they lay around on the carpet and visit. Probably cheaper, but, again, I don't have power outages. There are probably some who think I'm showing off my money, but in reality, I'm showing how to get money. Buy wisely.

Keep in mind, as lithium mining (supply) matches EV/Battery demand, the prices of batteries will come down. Once they are no longer $16~30k to replace and "certified factory refurbished" battery packs become a thing, warranties will also cost OEM manufacturers less. Meaning they'll be more inclined to add the functionality.

Once the price is right, auto conpanies will be providing more and more V2H/V2G options. If governments/utility companies got wise, they'd be subsidizing warranties now for access to your batteries when they need it most.

Reactions: Daekwan
you will really enjoy listening to it at 3:00AM when the power is out for a week

I got to listen to my neighbors generator for the full 24 hours that our power was out.

I am currently running an experiment to see how long my little battery pack with run the garage fridge / freezer (side by side). I plugged it in two nights ago to chill down and freeze 16 half liter bottles of water to act as a heat sink as if the fridge was full of cold food at the start of the test. After 1.5 hours I opened both doors for 10 seconds to simulate normal usage. I am at the 2 hour point and still going strong.

Keith

We went 4 days back in 2008 without power due an ice storm that took down power lines. We stayed in the house as we had hot water (gas) and cooked on a grill. But one of our neighbors with a GENERAC whole hose generator thought it was nice to turn on all his outdoor holiday lights at night while we were all in the cold with candles and maybe a fireplace.