Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricanes Iselle and Julio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stayed awake most of Thursday night and into Friday morning to watch the interaction of Iselle and Hawaii's tall volcanic mountains. Iselle slowed to a crawl as it approached the Big Island and then it eventually cozied up close to the side of Mauna Loa, where it remained for more than five hours. The closer it got to the side of Mauna Loa, the more of the western end of the hurricane was chopped off by the mountain. By mid morning, Iselle had beat itself silly on the side of Mauna Loa and had little wind left. Interestingly, I kept checking wind speeds through the night at Kona Airport, and they were typically less than 10 miles per hour (8 knots). We have the Big Island's mountains to thank for slaying Iselle.

Well put. Nicely explained.

And let me take this opportunity to mention again. Please send a brief email to [email protected] requesting a SC be installed on Oahu. If enough owners request, it can happen. Check the Hawaii Tesla Owners under the Groups section for more info.

Well put. Nicely explained.

And let me take this opportunity to mention again. Please send a brief email to [email protected] requesting a SC be installed on Oahu. If enough owners request, it can happen. Check the Hawaii Tesla Owners under the Groups section for more info.

Akikiki, I sent my supercharger email this morning. Thanks for the reminder.

I stayed awake most of Thursday night and into Friday morning to watch the interaction of Iselle and Hawaii's tall volcanic mountains. Iselle slowed to a crawl as it approached the Big Island and then it eventually cozied up close to the side of Mauna Loa, where it remained for more than five hours. The closer it got to the side of Mauna Loa, the more of the western end of the hurricane was chopped off by the mountain. By mid morning, Iselle had beat itself silly on the side of Mauna Loa and had little wind left. Interestingly, I kept checking wind speeds through the night at Kona Airport, and they were typically less than 10 miles per hour (8 knots). We have the Big Island's mountains to thank for slaying Iselle.

Yeah! Watching the time-lapse images of the hurricane dissipating were impressive! A big Mahalo! to the Big Island for shielding us from Iselle!! :)
Pretty much protected the entire rest of the island chain.

Mahalo Akikiki! All is well in Kona, Hilo and Kawaihae. Puna, Ka'u and Hamakua took all the hits. Our thoughts and prayers are with those folks. Mahalo nui loa to Mauna Loa and Madame Pele!

Jeffdhood,

I speak for all of us.
You are going to get the wind first. We will be thinking about you.
Please post something on TMC after so we know you and the wife and your Tesla are okay.