Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Husband And Wife iPhone Tesla App/Accounts For One Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're preparing for delivery day but aren't sure how Tesla Accounts work on the iPhone app. We'd like to be as prepared as possible beforehand.

We used my iPhone app to order our Model Y but intend to use the Tesla App on two iPhones. (One for me, the other for my wife). How would this work?
  1. Would my wife and I use a single Tesla account, each of us logging into this one Tesla account on my/her iPhone? Or, she have her own Tesla account and use it on her iPhone?
  2. Is there anything specific to delivery day we should be aware of concerning our Tesla app set-up?
  3. If we were to have two Tesla accounts on our Tesla apps, how would we set her up so she could manage our Model Y on her iPhone?
  4. Once iPhone connectivity is established for both phones, could this lead to data overwrite problems? For example, if each of us were to have different iPhone calendars, would this raise the risk of our calendars overwriting each other when we sync to our car?
  5. Is there anything else we should watch out for or be aware of with other iPhone apps?
Thanks!

You can use two different accounts, you just set each other as authorized drivers on your accounts (I think from the Tesla web page). It does get a little annoying as the car sometimes gets the wrong idea of who is opening it. I ended up not using auto-selecting driver profiles.

Upvote 0
We're preparing for delivery day but aren't sure how Tesla Accounts work on the iPhone app. We'd like to be as prepared as possible beforehand.

We used my iPhone app to order our Model Y but intend to use the Tesla App on two iPhones. (One for me, the other for my wife). How would this work?
  1. Would my wife and I use a single Tesla account, each of us logging into this one Tesla account on my/her iPhone? Or, she have her own Tesla account and use it on her iPhone?
  2. Is there anything specific to delivery day we should be aware of concerning our Tesla app set-up?
  3. If we were to have two Tesla accounts on our Tesla apps, how would we set her up so she could manage our Model Y on her iPhone?
  4. Once iPhone connectivity is established for both phones, could this lead to data overwrite problems? For example, if each of us were to have different iPhone calendars, would this raise the risk of our calendars overwriting each other when we sync to our car?
  5. Is there anything else we should watch out for or be aware of with other iPhone apps?
Thanks!

The short version is, since you ordered the car, you setup the tesla app on your phone and are the one the car will be delivered to. If you want to be prepared, have your wife create a tesla account (a separate one) and just have it sitting there.

Once you get the car delivered, you will add her as an authorized driver, that way you both can see everything about the car, both set it up as a key on each phone, and both have your own profile in the car (with seat settings, etc).

I wrote a (outdated now) guide on how to setup additional users on the tesla account, as well as why you would want to either share an account or have separate ones. The basic thought process is fine in that post, but all the work flows have been changed by tesla so its not relevant to the "how" anymore (so I am not linking it here).

Reactions: X-pilot
Upvote 0
There’s no ”right“ way to do this, so do whatever works for you. We have two Teslas, a Model S (mine) and Model 3 (my wife’s). I drive both cars, my wife only drives hers. Both cars were ordered with my account, and my wife has her own account which was added as an additional driver for her car. Her account doesn’t have access to my car. We also have Powerwalls, and both accounts were given access to those. We share the same calendar, so calendar conflicts haven’t been an issue.

Upvote 0
My wife and I share a Model 3, which I ordered and set up. I never figured out how to create another account for her; I created an account, but it doesn't seem to be connected to the car, and we never used it. My son also sometimes drives the car. Both my wife and son have been added as authorized drivers. They both have the app on their phones, and there's a magic procedure to get the phones connected to the car. It's not really that hard, but slightly complicated. The app seems to guide you through it when you first install it, so that's the time to do it.

The thing to keep in mind is that there are two connections that need to be made. First, the phone needs to be paired via Bluetooth, much the same as any car (or headphone, etc). This allows you to use the car like a headset, using the phone and playing sounds, etc. But to use the phone as a key (lock) is more complicated, and requires using the physical key card to set it up. The app will prompt you to do this.

The car allows you to set up a number of profiles for many settings, like most high-end cars. You can manually select any profile from the screen, but it's also possible to link a profile to a lock device (phone, key card, or fob). This is convenient, and I never remember exactly how to do it, but figure it out each time.

Upvote 0
We have 2 cars on my tesla account and my wife and has her own account and is a driver on both cars.

My phone is set to be priority on 1 vehicle, hers is the priority on the other. Both are associated to our own driver profiles. Usually if we are together it figures out which driver profile to use based on the priority. Works good.

I don't really understand why some people prefer to use 1 account instead of each having their own. Maybe back in the day it made sense but I don't see any advantage in doing that these days.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0

Thanks!
Once you have access to the car in your app, scroll down look for "manage driver" and share the link with your wife. She can then create her own tesla account and have her own access to the car. You can add upto 5 drivers.

Hope it helps :)

Upvote 0
I would suggest two accounts - as you can save car profile data to your account now. This is how you like your seat, mirrors, steering wheel/yoke, etc. And then the same reasons others suggested.

The primary account will be able to see additional things in the Tesla app, like Charge Stats and Safety Score (if you request the fsd beta). I just checked and these were the only differences I saw between a primary and an added Driver.

Upvote 0
The app/driver logistics can indeed get confusing. We're preparing for our delivery and not much we can do to setup users until the car is here and delivery is accepted so the best thing up until that point is to have 2 separate accounts, at least based on what I've read.

Upvote 0
We have two drivers for one Tesla Y. We each have our own phone and our own Tesla account. As the original order was done from my account, I have just a few more capabilities than she does, but for nearly everything we are equivalent.

My wife had already create a Tesla account on the day we took delivery, and the Tesla employee who helped us was willing to carry out the couple of minutes of button pushing and such required to get her set up. It was simpler than a version I had found online, but involved enough that I fully intend to ask for the same assistance tomorrow when we take delivery on a 3 so our fleet size will be two.

The car guesses which of us has just sat in the driver's seat, and is usually correct. But it is wrong often enough to make it a good idea to check the profile ID at boarding time.

Upvote 0

Thanks!
I had leased Tesla, 2021 model three performance really nice. I loved it. It still has another year left on the lease. I bought a model S3 months ago and now the wife drives the model three back-and-forth to work and then everything else. Both own a company together, but I work from home. And somehow it won’t allow me to name her car and name my car with different nicknames. Somehow the model three cannot see on her app the model S. But I can see both cars. And if she’s driving somewhere, I can see her little wheels turning but it’s just comforting to know how everything’s going. But I wish we could separate owning two cars or leasing one in owning one on the same app. I wish there was a way to get separate nicknames. Don’t know if that helps .

Upvote 0
We just got a 3. In showroom they set up under husband’s acct. These first days I’ve been logged in under his account, and can see everything on the app, etc. but today he said, “You should have your own acct., and you can put your own profile pic, etc.” So I set up my own Tesla acct and logged in and it doesn’t show me as the owner of anything, and I have no access to the car or the charging, etc. So my husband said, “I will send you the link again to add you as a driver”, and it says, “Error. You already have access to this car.” So in order to actually have access to the car, I had to log out of my account and back in under my husband’s. How do I fix this so we can both see all the car controls, charging history, etc on our separate app accounts? Thank you.

Upvote 0