Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Husband vs wife on app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to associate the (phone) key with the profile. While the key is active to to the driver profiles screen. There is place to tap there. I doing this from memory so I can't quite describe it in more detail. If you can't find it then someone will eventually post a screenshot.

Once you have this done the car will switch the seat positions, mirrors, driving settings to the key that it thinks belongs the driver. It is supposed to try to pick the first/strongest key to the drivers side.

Reactions: Thp3 and Mjriva
Upvote 0
Once you have this done the car will switch the seat positions, mirrors, driving settings to the key that it thinks belongs the driver. It is supposed to try to pick the first/strongest key to the drivers side.
That’s how it’s supposed to work, but my wife’s Model 3 often fails to switch to my profile even when my wife‘s phone isn’t anywhere near the car. When that happens, the car still connects with my phone, so it’s not a problem detecting my phone. It’s worked that way ever since the ability to link profiles to phones was introduced.

Reactions: lensovet and Mjriva
Upvote 0
Thank you. Yes I have to tap my name every time. I was hoping when I open the app on my phone, it would automatically “know” it is me and do the adjustments like most other cars do. Sounds like I need to keep tapping my name every time I get in.
No, if you have to change the profile every time, then it’s not set up correctly. See the Driver Profiles section of the manual for instructions. You don’t have to open the app either, just have your phones set up as phone key. The mechanism works by detecting the Bluetooth ID of your phone, so it works even if two people share the same Tesla account.

If it’s configured correctly, it will work correctly most of the time.

Upvote 0
That’s how it’s supposed to work, but my wife’s Model 3 often fails to switch to my profile even when my wife‘s phone isn’t anywhere near the car. When that happens, the car still connects with my phone, so it’s not a problem detecting my phone. It’s worked that way ever since the ability to link profiles to phones was introduced.
It depends upon how far away your wifes phone is. BT range is technically 30 ft, so her phone could still be connected. I have this issue too since both of our offices are within 20 ft of the garage. Often when I walk up to the Y it's still set to her profile. However if I pull the car outside the garage, her phone loses conection and it will set my seat profile.

Upvote 0
It depends upon how far away your wifes phone is. BT range is technically 30 ft, so her phone could still be connected. I have this issue too since both of our offices are within 20 ft of the garage. Often when I walk up to the Y it's still set to her profile. However if I pull the car outside the garage, her phone loses conection and it will set my seat profile.
My wife’s phone might be within Bluetooth range, but the car still pairs with my phone even though it doesn’t switch to my profile, so it’s not really working as designed.

Upvote 0
The UI is unclear and bluetooth is complicated. I think the "associations" work like this:

• Each phone key --> unlocks the car and can select an associated driver profile.
  • Each driver profile --> has seat settings and can select a "preferred bluetooth device" for the purpose of audio streaming, phone calls, text messages, and contacts. That connection requires "bluetooth pairing" to the car.
Supposedly the first phone key to connect determines which driver profile the car will use (not the phone nearest to the driver's door/seat), but this doesn't always work out.

Sometimes these associations get broken, not to mention when you get a new phone. So if it's not working right, do check that both of these associations are set up for your phone, and consider removing that phone as a key and re-adding it.

Tip: If one of you is shorter than the other, you can set that profile to use Easy Entry so the taller spouse doesn't revisit the Star Wars trash compactor every time the car picks the wrong profile.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Many people get confused about this. They think if the phone is paired with the car, that's all that matters. Or they think the app itself is all they need.

But once the phone is paired, it allows you to choose it as a key in the "locks" section. Once that's done, you can associate a profile with the key, and the profile name will show up next to the key name. If you don't see your profile next to the key, it's not associated.

Then, it should set itself to whatever phone unlocks the car, or is closest to the driver's side mirror. Sometimes, my wife's phone is paired to the car, but I still need my phone to unlock the car. When I get in, I sometimes hear her talking on her phone which causes problems with her conversation cutting out. But the key is still associated with my phone and my profile (hope this makes sense). So, the bluetooth audio is separate from the bluetooth locking. I think the priority setting is only for bluetooth audio, not the key/profile setting.

Reactions: Mjriva
Upvote 0