Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV battery bad shortly after warranty runs out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am starting to lean towards #1. Tesla customer service is not what it used to be. Don’t know how do I start doing that. Who will take it?
I'm with you. Service is terrible and needed far too frequently lately. I'm on my seventh service visit for my Plaid to try and correct issues noted at delivery almost a year ago. Service is so backed up that every time I drop off the car it sits for almost a week before they even start working on it. It's maddening.

I'll sell before the warranty runs out.

If you don't have the cash saved up for this (most people don't) just take out a loan and put the car up as collateral. I'm assuming you've paid off the car it took me 3 years to pay off mine. A $15k loan with the pink slip of your car covering it any bank should not have a problem doing that. Some banks don't do car loans anymore but they do line of credit and they take collateral for those as well. Also if you have a credit union most all of them will help you out getting a loan especially if you want to take it against the pink slip.

Crap like this happening is why I've got a savings account with the money ready to withdraw if my battery ever takes a crap on me, plan ahead.

If you don't have the cash saved up for this (most people don't) just take out a loan and put the car up as collateral. I'm assuming you've paid off the car it took me 3 years to pay off mine. A $15k loan with the pink slip of your car covering it any bank should not have a problem doing that. Some banks don't do car loans anymore but they do line of credit and they take collateral for those as well. Also if you have a credit union most all of them will help you out getting a loan especially if you want to take it against the pink slip.

Crap like this happening is why I've got a savings account with the money ready to withdraw if my battery ever takes a crap on me, plan ahead.

The problem is sinking $15k into the car probably isn't worth it. What is it worth even with a good battery?

I guess look up what it is worth with a bad battery and what it is worth with a good battery. If the difference isn't $15k or more, dump the car as is.

The problem is sinking $15k into the car probably isn't worth it. What is it worth even with a good battery?

I guess look up what it is worth with a bad battery and what it is worth with a good battery. If the difference isn't $15k or more, dump the car as is.
mine is valued at $35-45k so dropping $15k is acceptable for a new pack. Also since the OP is out of warranty the car has free supercharging and that is worth a crapload of money
This and have an extended warranty from 057
extended warranties are a great way to part a fool from his money

Just for the other side, I've owned four Teslas, two of which I sold with over 100,000 miles on them. I have never even heard of any Tesla traction battery dying, but if it happened to me, I'd just replace the battery with a used one or have Bill Kortoff send me an exchange, assuming Tesla wouldn't replace it. The battery is supposedly warranted for eight years. No one is expecting you to pay for a new battery when it's your OLD used battery that failed.

If your car is anything like mine, it's worth $30,000 (three) to $60,000 (S), so replacing a battery is like replacing the drive train in a gas car. I wonder if one had a gas car they might also have insurance on the drive train, or is it more likely they'd just drive the car over a cliff? Anyone buying a new car should realize that the car might develop troubles, and insurance should cover a new engine, or tranny, etc. If not, it might be a good idea to talk to your insurance dealer.

But for the average driver, the battery does not fail. You don't tell us anything, but I'm guessing your car is OLD, your battery pack is OLD, and you were hoping to get another 100,000 miles out of it. Sounds like you'll be paying to keep your car on the road, or you won't be driving it. Not all the equity is in the car itself. A goodly portion is in the drive train, most of which is the battery. You ought to buy a refurb battery and keep it running.

Well, don’t I feel trapped.
All these years driving past high gasoline prices feeling good about saving pennies, now I am hit with 15K bill for HV battery needing replacement. I cannot afford it. Anyone, I need options.
Many owners of 2012-2014 vehicles, which were working just fine, had their vehicles crippled shortly after the warranty period expired. Did yours happen after an OTA software update?

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
What year is your? miles? free supercharge?

paying 15k is totally worth it for a clean old car with supercharge.

Free advice: when you finish your car payment and want to keep a car (nothing wrong with that), treat that car like you still have payment on it (take half of what you pay monthly and put in a saving account for the car)