Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery died and got a replacement with a bigger battery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, wanted to get some feedbacks.
I just got my battery replaced for my 2016 Model X 75D.
While checking the invoice, it showed a 90kwh pack.
Asked the center and was told it was locked to 75 but if I paid CAD3,000 more I can use it fully.

I am inclined on not doing it since I do not need the range,
but seems I am carrying around more weight which I do not need.

Did anyone ever do this before?

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Shaz
Asked the center and was told it was locked to 75 but if I paid CAD3,000 more I can use it fully.

This is interesting. I have a 2017 MX 75D and I'm curious could you share what happened when your HV battery failed? Also how were you charging the car? Mainly superchargers or just slow chargers? Thanks!

The 90kWh pack was not a success for Tesla as, if I recall correctly, it had greater than normal capacity loss over time. Interesting that Tesla still has them available and is using them for battery replacements in lower capacity models.

It would be interesting to see what your new rated range is when you charge to 100% compared to your 100% rated range when your 75D was new.

It will also be interesting to see what happens if you set your charge level to 100% and repeatedly charge; will you still get the warning not to do that repeatedly even though in reality you aren’t actually charging to 100% of the true battery capacity?

Reactions: TrevTremaine

Just curious, did the invoice show an actual price for the replacement battery? The $3000 figure suggests a price of $200/kwh if there is any logic in that assumption. Labour costs for unlocking would be minimal versus for actually replacing a battery. Is the warranty for the replacement battery limited to the standard 8 years from delivery date of vehicle (or some other date)?

Just curious, did the invoice show an actual price for the replacement battery? The $3000 figure suggests a price of $200/kwh if there is any logic in that assumption. Labour costs for unlocking would be minimal versus for actually replacing a battery. Is the warranty for the replacement battery limited to the standard 8 years from delivery date of vehicle (or some other date)?
under warranty so there is no price on the invoice. the CAD 3000 was from a word of mouth from one of their service center staff after doing some research on his computer, I am not 100% sure of this. I think I will pull the trigger for the upgrade. Once it is done, I will post a comment on how it went.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Shaz
The 90kWh pack was not a success for Tesla as, if I recall correctly, it had greater than normal capacity loss over time. Interesting that Tesla still has them available and is using them for battery replacements in lower capacity models.

It would be interesting to see what your new rated range is when you charge to 100% compared to your 100% rated range when your 75D was new.

It will also be interesting to see what happens if you set your charge level to 100% and repeatedly charge; will you still get the warning not to do that repeatedly even though in reality you aren’t actually charging to 100% of the true battery capacity?
I am curious as well, but I was told by the staff at the service center to charge to 80% and treat it as a 75 battery.

the new batteries installed designated as 90kwh are the replacements for cars that had 70/75/85/90 batteries from the ol' days. The chemistry is based on the current 100 batteries - so no relationship to the much (appropriately) maligned 90 batteries from around 2015
Thank you for that information, I was not aware of that. Good to hear! How did you find that out?

In that case, I would think that the OP could consistently charge his 75D to 100% without a problem. Though I expect the car and the app will display the message warning not to do so.

Last edited: