Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV battery died during my road trip (2018 Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m about 4 weeks into a FL to New England road trip in my 2018 Model S100D, with less than 26k miles on it, and today I got numerous alerts (see photo) and the car couldn’t be put in gear. Called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they sent a tow truck to bring my car to the SC in Warwick RI (near my hotel). I’ve seen other threads where the same alerts popped up, and in some cases it was caused by a short in the HV battery. In my case, the HV battery failed and needs to be replaced.

The good news is the battery replacement is covered under warranty. The bad news is it will take several weeks to get a new one. I asked if they would put in a used pack just to get me home, but they won’t. They’ll pay up to $100/day for a rental car. I’d rather not drive back to FL in an ICE car, but if I do, then I’d have to ship my car home after the battery replacement. Trying to find out if Tesla would reimburse me for additional expenses (flights, shipping my stuff home, etc.).

We were supposed to leave RI tomorrow. Fortunately the SC was open today (Saturday) and the hotel could accommodate us for a couple of extra days while we figure out what to do next.

Stuff happens. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Wouldn’t have been a big deal if it had happened at home, just unfortunate timing. FWIW, I’ve had no other problem with this car since I took delivery almost 4 years ago.

AC6EC3CA-480A-4AF6-B908-AE476521C538.jpeg

Keep the rental car and return it back to the same location rented from when your Tesla is ready. Or, if cheaper, rent a different car one way from Florida to pick up your car. Seems like the first option would be less expensive, and no shipping of your car. It is a hassle, but things happen. If the provide alternate transportation to get your family home, and return transportation to get your car -- that should be doable.

Don’t want to drive back and forth to FL more than once. The best option would be if Tesla would ship the car to my local SC and have the battery replaced there, and we’d fly home. That way I could ship all our stuff home in the car and have access to it sooner. I’ve asked them about that, will see what they say. Paying for that would cost Tesla less than a rental at $100/day for several weeks.

Update: Tesla will transport my car to my local SC in FL and replace the battery there (subject to final approval from the regional manager). Although they won’t pay for our flights home, they will apply the cost of the flights as a credit against future service charges. We still get the $100/day Uber credit while the car is in service (note that the Uber credit is applied to the fare, but not to the tip). Our local SC does provide loaners in some cases, so that might be an option once we get home.

Assuming everything happens as promised, I’m pretty pleased with Tesla’s handling of this issue, so far.

Update: Tesla will transport my car to my local SC in FL and replace the battery there (subject to final approval from the regional manager). Although they won’t pay for our flights home, they will apply the cost of the flights as a credit against future service charges. We still get the $100/day Uber credit while the car is in service (note that the Uber credit is applied to the fare, but not to the tip). Our local SC does provide loaners in some cases, so that might be an option once we get home.

Assuming everything happens as promised, I’m pretty pleased with Tesla’s handling of this issue, so far.
Make sure you get all agreements in writing

An HV battery replacement is one of those things tesla is supposed to give you a loaner car for. Not an ICE. Not Uber credits but a loaner. It can and likely will take upwards of 6-8 weeks before your car is returned. I’m a little shocked the service center you’re at isn’t willing to give you a loaner to continue on the road trip.

As a final tip. Take pictures. Take videos. Of both inside and outside of your car. Getting a tesla with a. Dead hv battery onto a tow truck much less a transport vehicle is going to be tricky.

My car was damaged by the tow company in two places. (Rear diffuser and drivers side front fender) I had pics of the diffuser as it happened but not the fender. They will literally be dragging the car on and off transport.

An HV battery replacement is one of those things tesla is supposed to give you a loaner car for. Not an ICE. Not Uber credits but a loaner. It can and likely will take upwards of 6-8 weeks before your car is returned. I’m a little shocked the service center you’re at isn’t willing to give you a loaner to continue on the road trip.

As a final tip. Take pictures. Take videos. Of both inside and outside of your car. Getting a tesla with a. Dead hv battery onto a tow truck much less a transport vehicle is going to be tricky.

My car was damaged by the tow company in two places. (Rear diffuser and drivers side front fender) I had pics of the diffuser as it happened but not the fender. They will literally be dragging the car on and off transport.
They don't have enough loaners, shareholders are the priority, not customers.

I’m about 4 weeks into a FL to New England road trip in my 2018 Model S100D, with less than 26k miles on it, and today I got numerous alerts (see photo) and the car couldn’t be put in gear. Called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they sent a tow truck to bring my car to the SC in Warwick RI (near my hotel). I’ve seen other threads where the same alerts popped up, and in some cases it was caused by a short in the HV battery. In my case, the HV battery failed and needs to be replaced.

The good news is the battery replacement is covered under warranty. The bad news is it will take several weeks to get a new one. I asked if they would put in a used pack just to get me home, but they won’t. They’ll pay up to $100/day for a rental car. I’d rather not drive back to FL in an ICE car, but if I do, then I’d have to ship my car home after the battery replacement. Trying to find out if Tesla would reimburse me for additional expenses (flights, shipping my stuff home, etc.).

We were supposed to leave RI tomorrow. Fortunately the SC was open today (Saturday) and the hotel could accommodate us for a couple of extra days while we figure out what to do next.

Stuff happens. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Wouldn’t have been a big deal if it had happened at home, just unfortunate timing. FWIW, I’ve had no other problem with this car since I took delivery almost 4 years ago.

View attachment 864260

My battery pack died an hour and a half from home. The car was towed to a Tesla service center and I was given a new model 3 loaner. I have less than 25,000 miles on my 2020 model S. I was told it could take months to get a replacement pack.
Let's hope for both our sakes it won't take months. I was told weeks. Which service center has your car?

My car is still stuck in RI. They're having trouble finding someone to transport it here to FL. Apparently the transportation companies don't want to move cars south unless they have cars to move north, partly because diesel fuel is so expensive.

View attachment 868832My battery pack died an hour and a half from home. The car was towed to a Tesla service center and I was given a new model 3 loaner. I have less than 25,000 miles on my 2020 model S. I was told it could take months to get a replacement pack.
Sorry this happened. Typical turn around is anywhere from 5 weeks to 8 weeks. It was 6 weeks from the day the tow truck dropped off my car until I picked it back up.