Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV battery died during my road trip (2018 Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's hope for both our sakes it won't take months. I was told weeks. Which service center has your car?

My car is still stuck in RI. They're having trouble finding someone to transport it here to FL. Apparently the transportation companies don't want to move cars south unless they have cars to move north, partly because diesel fuel is so expensive.
It is at the Merritt Island Causway service center. They offered to ship it to Delray but I would still have to drive there to return the loaner, so I told them to do the repair.

Tesla in Warwick RI decided to fix my car there and then ship it here to FL. They were having trouble finding a transporter who would take it to FL without having cars to transport back north, and it requires a special transport since the car can't be driven. No ETA on the battery yet.

Update: I was informed today that my car has a new battery, and Tesla will work on getting a company to ship the car to me here in FL. The battery died 6 weeks ago tomorrow.

I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear this, because 2 days ago they didn't have the battery or know when it was coming in (or so I was told). I was told initially it would take 4-5 weeks, so they weren't far off.

I just noticed on the service invoice that Tesla used a remanufactured battery as the replacement. Is that typical? Should I be concerned?

Here's the part description from the invoice: ASY, HV BATT, 100KWH, SX, REMANUFACTURED, RAVEN (1107679-01-E)

Note that my car isn't a Raven, it's a late 2018 S100D, but I'll take the Raven's range if the battery provides it. :)

Warranty states they will replace the battery if below 70%. I suspect they limit the charging capacity of remanufactured batteries.
Yes, the newer version of the warranty warrants against range figures below 70% of new/EPA. What I'm saying is that the other section that talks about the actual replacement states that the battery they replace it with will provide at least the same range as the previous battery before it failed. If you're saying they replaced it with a battery and you now have 35 less miles of range than you did before it failed, they didn't meet their own standard of the replacement by the terms of their warranty.

Reactions: maximizese
Interesting discussion about the capacity of the replacement batteries. I still don't have my car back, but Tesla in Warwick RI is charging it now, and it's set for 100% so it will be interesting to see how many miles I get if they let it go all the way. I know it's not good to charge to 100%, but in this case I want to know what I'm getting. My original battery had a range of about 330-335 miles when new. They're using a Level 2 charger at 32A so it will take a while.

An aside: the car has software update 2022.40.4.2 waiting to install, but I don't to want to install that because it would preclude me from getting the current FSD Beta (2022.36.20). The app says the update is scheduled to install at 2:20am tonight, but I hope that doesn't happen, since I can't cancel a scheduled update from the app. That car isn't in the FSD Beta queue yet, so I asked the service center to request FSD Beta on the Controls > Autopilot screen, but they said they can't do that because they don't own the car. If the 40.4.2 update gets installed, based on other reports here I might be able to use service mode to undo it. I won't have access to the car for another couple of weeks, so maybe by then FSD Beta v11 will be available.

Interesting discussion about the capacity of the replacement batteries. I still don't have my car back, but Tesla in Warwick RI is charging it now, and it's set for 100% so it will be interesting to see how many miles I get if they let it go all the way. I know it's not good to charge to 100%, but in this case I want to know what I'm getting. My original battery had a range of about 330-335 miles when new. They're using a Level 2 charger at 32A so it will take a while.
Range was 312 after a full charge, so about the same as the original battery after 4 years. I know 312 is just an estimate, but close enough.