Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV battery died during my road trip (2018 Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed on the service invoice that Tesla used a remanufactured battery as the replacement. Is that typical? Should I be concerned?

Here's the part description from the invoice: ASY, HV BATT, 100KWH, SX, REMANUFACTURED, RAVEN (1107679-01-E)

Note that my car isn't a Raven, it's a late 2018 S100D, but I'll take the Raven's range if the battery provides it. :)
Yea, that is normal. Ever do an RMA before?

Another update: my S was picked up at the Warwick RI service center yesterday and is on its way to the West Palm Beach FL service center, ETA tomorrow or Sunday. Tomorrow is 8 weeks since the battery died.

I have to say that I’m impressed by Tesla’s handling of this whole experience. They paid for transporting the car to FL and compensated us for our flights home after the battery died. I requested an annual service which they didn’t charge me for, and I just learned they repainted the front fascia because of some cosmetic damage, at no charge, even though I never asked them to do that. In fact, I had already gotten an estimate from a body shop to repair that damage after the trip, so if they did a good enough job it will save me $1800. The only hiccup was that my $100/day Uber credit was accidentally cancelled multiple times, but they were quick to reinstate it.

Last edited:
I was told it would take 4-6 weeks for the battery to calibrate and I was told if Milage does not increase I should contact Tesla.

Did you end up following through on this? Curious about their response to you getting a battery with less range/capacity. I too received a horrible pack as a replacement and have to now try and get it replaced, but they don't even let me contact through the app (black holes any request after running diagnostics), have to go in person.

Did you end up following through on this? Curious about their response to you getting a battery with less range/capacity. I too received a horrible pack as a replacement and have to now try and get it replaced, but they don't even let me contact through the app (black holes any request after running diagnostics), have to go in person.
Had pack replaced after 1 month with about a 10% reduction of range. Having a frustrating time contacting Tesla about this.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam