Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Failed After 2 Years.. Months at Service Station?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was completed 2/15/22. I am assuming I need to recalibrate the BMS, as it says I only have 278 miles of rates range at 90% charge, which extrapolates out to 308 miles as 100%. If this is true, it is worse than my previous battery before failure. Remanufactured Battery part number is 1107679-01-E

My car was completed 2/15/22. I am assuming I need to recalibrate the BMS, as it says I only have 278 miles of rates range at 90% charge, which extrapolates out to 308 miles as 100%. If this is true, it is worse than my previous battery before failure. Remanufactured Battery part number is 1107679-01-E
What was the estimate at 100% for your failed battery? It is unlikely that a recalibration will change the estimate much on a freshly refurbished pack.

Reactions: ucmndd
I'd go exchange that loaner, I'd probably take the Polestar2 rental that I had over dealing with all of that. I am now in a 2018 S 100D loaner with FSD, everything works properly, with the exception of the speed limiter, lol.
So just got my car back today. 5 days short of 2 months. Last night I checked the app and driver's door and frunk were open. I think they were checking for the Frunk recall issue at the same time since I asked them to do it. Then it was plugged in and was being charged from 7 PM till about 8 AM today. At about 4:30 I got 3 rapid messages on the app that the car was ready to be picked up and I headed right over to get it.

They didn't even bother washing it. It had 2 months of dust and dirt and bird deposits on the car. Drove it to the carwash and will be watching the battery closely. It's great to have the car back after 2 months, but I'm really doubting this whole process. The repair manager said that they're getting lots of HV Battery replacement repairs and they're telling everyone 2 months is normal.

This is not a phone so if the battery dies or gets to this condition, at the worst case scenario, you just cough up another $1000 and get a new phone and sell the old one when repaired. We're talking about $110,000 car with hardly any parts available for repair.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
They "detailed" mine, which was just a quick exterior wash and some tire shine. I'm running my battery down and going to charge it back up to calibrate the BMS and see what it shows for range. I log all data via TeslaFi and have for years, so hopefully I at least get the same range as before it failed, hopefully more.

I just had a battery failure at 65xxx miles. On a ‘20 LRX. Battery is being replaced on warranty. They’re saying they already received the battery-

(BATT,100KWH,SX,REMANUFACTURED,RAVEN(1107679-
01-E)

And if they’re right and I get the car next Tuesday; that’s an 8 day turnaround. Pretty impressive.

And they gave me a loaner ‘23 model S. What a car…now considering trading in wife’s 3P for a new LRS; 3 years free supercharging is pretty sweet.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and MP3Mike
My 2019 LR battery failed in Feb. car was out of service 10 days. New.battery a little better range than old. Battery failed during charging about 10:30 Friday night tow truck arrived at 11:30. I picked up a loaner at 9:00 Sat morning.

That’s great to hear. I’m so happy that Service’s experiences are sometimes not so bad after all. I also hope that my new range is at least as good… I hardly had any range loss from new. So I’m really hoping for greater than 300 miles of total range. Either way, I’m hoping I never have this issue again and grateful to have it happen while still covered under warranty, and not while away from home on our road trip.

I shared my full experience in the investor forum here.

TLDR; also quick tow (free with tesla insurance roadside). And this all happened after a 4400 mile 6 day cannonball road trip to starbase!

Weird update on this road trip…sorry, OT weekend ramblings.

1 day after completion of a 6 day 4400 mile cannonball run from NorCal to starbase (and back thankfully) I was SC’ing near home while grabbing lunch; and returned to some all of the warning lights on. Mostly high voltage battery messages.

Tried all possible resets to no avail. Setup a tow through my Tesla insurance app and had the vehicle at my local service center within an hour on a flatbed.
View attachment 932988
They didn’t have a loaner so they sent me to sales to ask for an overnight demo vehicle (pro move imo) to get me home and they had a loaner returning soon, for me to pick up the next day. I had expressed interest in replacing my wife’s M3P with a model S; so they set me up for a (late ‘22) model S loaner and sent us home in a ‘23 Model X.

Before I’d even arrived the next day to swap the demo for our loaner I received a message from tesla service that they’d diagnosed the vehicle and would need to order a new HV pack. Service rep suggested ~4 weeks as likely turnaround. The battery failure was at 65xxx miles so is thankfully covered under warranty.

Both visits to the service center, it was bustling with new deliveries, people waiting for or setting up demo drives, and (presumably people waiting for service) walking around googling all the new models.

3 days later and they’re saying they already received the battery- so vehicle should be completed by Tuesday.
(BATT,100KWH,SX,REMANUFACTURED,RAVEN(1107679-
01-E)
And if they’re right and I get the car next Tuesday; that’s an 8 day turnaround. Pretty impressive.

So I should be thrilled, right? Well, no. This loaner (‘23 model S) is the most amazing car we’ve ever driven. What a car…now considering trading in wife’s 3P for a new LRS; 3 years free supercharging is pretty sweet.

Anyhow, a few take aways here

1) some people have exceptional service experiences and don’t share them. Before tesla we had all BMW, so that’s all I know…and they were always pretty terrible. Breakdowns are inconvenient challenges, but I can’t imagine expecting better service than I received.

2) new model SX are amazing and I recommend all investors go setup a demo drive; because these cars are truly next level. Ventilated seats FTW.

3) the new SX have track mode and we did a few launches…I swear, I was convinced, that these were plaid. I later confirmed they are not. The new LR S&X are going to dominate the luxury/performance EV segment. They are just too good! IMO plaid is unnecessary for anyone not planning to put a parachute on it.

Tesla service sucks
Tesla should cancel SX

Last edited:
Reactions: buckets0fun
My battery failed again last month, one year and 22k miles later. "New" one has ~20 miles less EPA rated range, and it is obvious they have software locked it. Trying to get it resolved is an exercise that is trying my patience. Someone from Tesla called and tried to tell me how it needs to learn my driving habits, which is total BS as the EPA rated range number is not affected by that. I'll entertain their ideas about charging and such for the next few weeks, and then I will escalate this under the terms of the warranty given to me. The only good part is that they did have another battery in the car in a few days. Currently at just over 85k miles and on battery #3 with a max EPA range of ~297 miles at 100% SOC. 2018 S 100D.

On a side note, they refused to tow the car in without me paying for the tow, even though they knew it was a battery failure from the logs and that it was going to be covered under warranty. I ended up paying for a AAA membership and towing it in a few days later once the AAA system allowed me to. (48 hour wait)

My battery failed again last month, one year and 22k miles later. "New" one has ~20 miles less EPA rated range, and it is obvious they have software locked it. Trying to get it resolved is an exercise that is trying my patience. Someone from Tesla called and tried to tell me how it needs to learn my driving habits, which is total BS as the EPA rated range number is not affected by that. I'll entertain their ideas about charging and such for the next few weeks, and then I will escalate this under the terms of the warranty given to me. The only good part is that they did have another battery in the car in a few days. Currently at just over 85k miles and on battery #3 with a max EPA range of ~297 miles at 100% SOC. 2018 S 100D.

On a side note, they refused to tow the car in without me paying for the tow, even though they knew it was a battery failure from the logs and that it was going to be covered under warranty. I ended up paying for a AAA membership and towing it in a few days later once the AAA system allowed me to. (48 hour wait)
If you get a referbished battery which should be usual its normal that it have lost range during the previous life.

Software lock does not sound very probable ?

Reactions: cwerdna
do we have actual evidence of that or are you working under the assumption that your refurbished battery was supposed to match the epa range of your original battery?
I am not entitled to full new capacity as new, but at least the same capacity as my previous battery before it failed would be fair.

Per Tesla's warranty in the owners manual:

1683000959744.png

Why would they do this? Out of spite? Do they just want to make sure it's a poor experience?
I am under the impression that they do this to give the battery a larger buffer zone, but in my view it is just to upset customers. Why they would purposely lock the customer out of some of the capacity of the replaced battery is a mystery to me. It not like I purposely break the batteries and want to have a broken down car.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
I am not entitled to full new capacity as new, but at least the same capacity as my previous battery before it failed would be fair.

Per Tesla's warranty in the owners manual:

View attachment 933724
And we know your Wh/mile was the same before and after the repair? Doesn’t the car do this ‘guess-o-meter’ math in real time, along the same lines as the “zomg I recovered range” threads in the model 3 subforum?