Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV battery failed, was replaced and new battery failed - what should we do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2019 Long Range Model X - approx 58,000 miles. On December 16 while plugged into a Super Charger we started to get all the crazy warnings that go along with an HV battery failure. Long story short about a month later we got the car back, approx January 3, 2023 with a replaced HV battery.

Today 1/20/23 we go to drive from home and we're getting the exact same set of warnings that would indicate ANOTHER failed HV battery. "Acceleration/top speed reduced", "Performance Reduced", "Service Require", and "Vehicle system shutting down".

Not only are we beyond frustrated but VERY concerned about the long term prognosis of our vehicle.
1. Has anyone heard of this happening before?
2. Thoughts on how to proceed with Tesla?

Thank you!

We have a 2019 Long Range Model X - approx 58,000 miles. On December 16 while plugged into a Super Charger we started to get all the crazy warnings that go along with an HV battery failure. Long story short about a month later we got the car back, approx January 3, 2023 with a replaced HV battery.

Today 1/20/23 we go to drive from home and we're getting the exact same set of warnings that would indicate ANOTHER failed HV battery. "Acceleration/top speed reduced", "Performance Reduced", "Service Require", and "Vehicle system shutting down".

Not only are we beyond frustrated but VERY concerned about the long term prognosis of our vehicle.

Thank you!
The service center trusted Tesla QA department for sending them a good part replacement.

Thank you!

This does seem quite surprising. Please do keep us updated about how this comes out. I'm going to guess that the next replacement battery would be okay though.

Reactions: Firefighter22
My 2019 long range model x also had a HV battery failure recently at 45k miles. It also happened while plugged into supercharger. Battery was replacen about 1 month ago and no issues so far.

Would you let us know what battery you have? And had. Both capacity and model. If you can get a picture of the label, which is behind the right front wheel (you'll have to turn it out). Thank you!

If that was true wouldn't the label say something like remanufactured? Easy enough to get a look at the label from the right front wheel well.

The OP's battery had 58,000 miles on it. Tesla is not giving them a new battery. All they get is one at least the same capacity as the 58,000 mile battery that died. So in this case apparently it wasn't much better.

1678257014974.png

1678257060314.png

Sorry that happened. The cars should have standard surge and power protection built-in by now I hope, and request it be added if you have an older model Tesla. Please report the location and connector you were connected to when you notice any issues at Superchargers (there's usually an ID at the bottom of the Supercharger connector near the ground, like 1A or 1B). You can call their number and do this or go through the app.

Thank you!
I also have a 2019 long range Tesla X, 56,000 miles. Died with no warning far from home at a supercharger. Had to pay for tow. Flat bed tower says he gets these calls often. So scary to think I could be unexpectedly stranded anytime.

Two nights ago, my teenage daughter and I went to a Taylor Smith concert in Inglewood. Not a safe area, nothing open at 1am (when we got out of parking lot). Bars on every window in buildings. Tower said had that happened then (just 12 hours earlier), I would have had to wait 4-6 hours for a tow. Upsetting…

Attachments

• E7D2D854-A102-40A2-9153-02F99264D824.jpeg
    E7D2D854-A102-40A2-9153-02F99264D824.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 0B3F3FB5-5925-452F-BF8E-DCEBD1DB0543.jpeg
    0B3F3FB5-5925-452F-BF8E-DCEBD1DB0543.jpeg
    835.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna