Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery failure! 2014 S85 with 43,000 miles, single owner car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mother-in-law (aged 84) purchased a 2014 S85 new - she paid for an additional 4 years of warranty (total of 8).

The HC battery failed (a message was displayed that maximum battery charge level reduced. It won't charge to more than 100 miles. It won't charge on a supercharger at all and it only charges at 3 Amps on an standard AC charger. The car is effectively bricked at 43,000 miles, 1 year (to the day) after extended warranty ended in March 2022 and it is now suddenly worthless. Most of the car's life it was charged on a standard AC charger with occasional Supercharger use. Rarely over 80% charge and rarely, if ever run below 25% charge.

This battery in this car lasted all of 43K miles! Ridiculous! Battery degradation problem is totally hidden from view.

Tesla is demanding $20,000 to replace the failed battery - no core exchange value for the old pack - they just keep it and give nothing for it!!

Tesla service manager claimed that he would escalate for consideration and then told me to expect to wait 4-6 WEEKS for the issue to be reviewed!! RIDICULOUSLY insensitive!! Unable to use the car for over a month or more!! I also expect that the answer will be NO and that the 4-6 weeks is both a delaying tactic and punishment for even asking for any consideration.

Tesla customer service is non-existent!! You purchase one of their cars and you are on your own. They have their money and aren't at all interested in anything more - unless it is to sell you something. It is IMPOSSIBLE to speak with anyone at Tesla beyond the low level support people that you might be able to speak to on the phone. They cannot escalate. I went as high as I could within the Vehicle Support group and was summarily shut down saying that they were unable to escalate the issue to any higher up management.

Replacing entire battery pack is equivalent to replacing the entire engine and transmission in and ICE vehicle because the alternator failed! There is only one place owner can get service and Tesla knows it! Tesla not willing to service battery pack is profit motivated choice and environmental nightmare!

It has become clear to me that Tesla could care less about their customers and as a company has gone out of its way to make it impossible to get any consideration for serious failures like this. The company is just openly abusive to its customers - t6ake it or leave it - no exceptions! Too bad if your car dies before it even has 50K miles on it. They don't care!!

I personally will NEVER purchase a Tesla and I very much regret having encouraged my mother-in-law to buy one 9 years ago as an early adopter.

It is clear that vehicle mileage is not even remotely a reliable indicator of the potential life left in a car making it a total crap shoot to buy a used Tesla regardless of mileage. The new owner could be be faced with a battery pack failure without any warning that would cost $20K to repair?

I would be grateful to anyone that can offer any suggestions on how to get a hold of anyone at Tesla corporate to review this matter.

---
Bob Atkins

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-10 140442.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-10 140442.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 709
  • 20230401_172751(1).jpg
    20230401_172751(1).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 287
(1) $20K is the discounted price if they keep the old HV Pack. If you want to hold on to the old pack, the price is higher. Most don't hold on to their old HV Pack.
(2) There is a 3rd party option for HV Pack Replacement (especially since it's out of warranty). Check out Services | 057 Technology
(3) Unlike traditional ICE dealerships, Tesla has been transparent with owners that all service is now through the app, and there is no method of contacting them via phone. Just sharing the reality of their support structure in this new day and age.
(4) There is a 3rd party warranty which many do purchase once out of the factory warranty period, however it doesn't yet cover the HV Pack warranty, however they are working on a plan specifically for the drive unit and HV Pack. EV Extended Warranty - xcelerateauto.com

I'm not here to say that anything they are saying is right or wrong, just provide a little more context should it help.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. However, there are legitimate battery replacement options other than Tesla that you can explore.
The two that have been pretty well vetted on this forum are 057 Technologies in NC and Recell in TX.

Good luck with deciding how to proceed. If you look around this forum, you'll find plenty of early adopters who have had to deal with battery failures out of warranty; also plenty of luckier people who got replacements within the warranty period; and also plenty of people who have gotten well over 100K miles out of their original batteries. Owning/keeping an early Tesla beyond the drivetrain warranty is certainly a gamble that not everyone is willing to or can afford to take.

Yup, it happens.

There's no fighting Tesla on this. Your battery made it 9 years, was warranted for 8. The terms were crystal clear 9 years ago and are still crystal clear today.

your choices are sell the car as-is, let Telsa fix it, or pursue a third party repair/replacement. There is no "scream at Tesla until they relent and give me a free battery" option.

I feel terrible for your mom.

"Replacing entire battery pack is equivalent to replacing the entire engine and transmission in and ICE vehicle because the alternator failed!"

You hit the nail on the head here, not just for Tesla's, but all EV's. It's a ridiculous model to push on the average consumer. And no, the "whataboutism" of EV fans that the same can happen to an ICE car is not accurate. ICE cars are highly serviceable, and no, the battery packs in these cars will never be highly serviceable, despite any 3rd party attempts.

With all the EV's being sold today, you can expect in 10 years that a lot of your hard earned tax dollars will be used to buy new battery packs for the underprivileged. The EV manufacturers and hazardous waste disposal companies are going to have a profit-filled field day.

I have to agree with some vendors listed. They can halved the cost of the battery replacement that TESLA charges for.

Try ReCell or 057 tech. Also, shipping cars are relatively inexpensive. At most, will cost 2000 to ship via a transport company, I think. I would do the transport provider, and then once it's fixed or repaired at the EV garage, just fly to get it, unless it's cheaper to just ship it back to you.

The bottom line is, it will cost a pretty penny. Probably 10k or more. Or, maybe if you're lucky, will be less than 10k.

Since you're located in California, you can also try https://grubermotors.com/

I too have been following the Facebook group, I have a 2015 85d with 43,302 original miles, battery failure, clean title , battery removed by PO so tesla refused to install a battery or work on my car, recently bought a pack from a 3rd party Tesla shop local to me in upstate Ny, 10k for good used battery plus 2k to program/root the car to accept the battery , I’d like to know if the class action goes anywhere, doubt I’ll ever see a penny reimbursement

Reactions: NV Ray
Thank you all for your replies.

I have contacted several 3rd parties that offer HV Battery replacement.

Gruber Motors said that they have an 8 month wait list!!

Others have several weeks of wait list. All have prices in the $11-15K range that require out of area shipping (the car is in Los Angeles). Frankly I'm amazed that there aren't any alternative Tesla service companies in Los Angeles or reasonably nearby.

Re-Cell has the more attractive offering - their 240+ pack however, it is inly a 74kWh pack at $10,895 + shipping which would add another $2000 or more for a lesser pack.

No matter how I figure it - the better bet for her car is to bend over and pay Tesla for their replacement pack. :mad:

This will ensure that she will face no future service hurdles should they arise. The replacement pack is supposed to be warrantied (many have reported 4 years/50K miles) although it isn't stated on the quote and I have yet to get an answer or documentation from Tesla Service that shows the specific warranty in writing.

Overall after reading other threads on this site, there is little doubt that Tesla has covertly decided to remove all older packs (2012-2014Q1 Model S vehicles) from service by setting up the BMS software to flag the battery pack as bad. I'm certain that they are using a 'legit' measuring parameter so that if it were every challenged in court they could support their decision. No doubt the 'legit' parameter is some value based on the design of the battery pack that they can exploit. I'm an engineer and I certainly know how easy it is to conceal and manipulate technical data - especially from mere mortals that would be on any jury.

Turns out many Model S cars around the world have more recently reported the dreaded BMS_u029 - Maximum battery charge level reduced. 9 years of age seems to be the magic number regardless of mileage. Tesla controls ~65% of the EV market and this is life with a technologically astute monopoly when there are no other service alternatives. Tesla has a stranglehold on the service of their cars that 3rd parties can barely make a dent into. Tesla can and will do whatever it wants. They can and will get away with almost every underhanded thing that they do because the cost and complexity to investigate them is very steep. Class action lawsuits will yield lots of $$$$ for lawyers and a pittance for owners as has already been proven time and time again which has only emboldened them to be even more aggressive at soaking the current owners. You can bet that they will do this with all of their vehicles down the road. I suspect that 10 years will be the typical limit before a new battery pack will be required - for any of their cars - a guaranteed revenue stream with minimal effort and maximum profit. The euphemism I would use is - a 'subscription fee' for the continued operation of the vehicle. The result for Tesla is (a) they make about the same margin on an older car by replacing a battery or, (b) that older vehicle is taken off the road and the resale market - opening the door for the sale of a new replacement. Either way the company wins and they actually maintain similar margins whether selling a new car or replacing the battery in the older one.

There are simply no ethics in any major business anywhere, anymore. Tesla is not an exception in that regard, it is the rule. It is no doubt following the exact same business model as Apple and others. Customers should feel privileged to get to use their product. The customer will never really 'own' the product in spite of the appearance of ownership. The company will then decide how long the product will last and use it to continue to milk a revenue stream from. When the company decides that the product life has ended - it will simply shut down the products in the wild - no doubt making some claim that it is in the interest of public 'safety' - that wonderful Orwellian watchword and those affected will simply have to deal with it. Sure there will be a lot of screaming but in the end nothing of substance will be done. Those affected will be forced to purchase replacements which will result in a turnover of vehicles - even if they purchase from competitors and this will open the market to the sale of new vehicles. Even if the government decides to fine or prosecute - it would take years and the cost will have been factored into the sales margins that we all pay. The corporation and its shareholders will lose nothing!! The customers will subsidize any fine or punishment that may come down the line and by that time 100's of thousands of new vehicles and/or batteries will be sold making any fine or punishment nothing more than a cruel joke.

Tesla has completely walled itself from the outside world. They don't need to talk or communicate with anyone. The basic middle finger to all is much the same as all of the other major corporations that control our lives. There is nothing that anyone can do to compel better corporate ethics or customer service and we are collectively stuck with having to rely on all of this 'tech' in our lives whether we like it or not since you cannot realistically live as a Luddite in today's world.

This is the price we pay and nothing and nobody will effect any substantial change. Humans are by nature selfish and greedy creatures who will take everything they can when given the opportunity. Elon is no different in spite of his apparent altruism.

Cost the quoted is:

Screenshot 2023-04-11 103135.jpg

---
Bob Atkins

Agree with everything you said, except the part where you are suggesting your mom repair the car.

Why not take that $20,375.83 + whatever $ you can get for your now totaled parts car and buy a nice ICE vehicle for her? The used car market is back in the dumps, so she can pick up a very nice used and reliable ICE car for that money and still have enough pocket money left over to cover gas and some very nice meals at a fancy restaurant. I mean at that age, how many gallons of gasoline is she going to use? In reality, it's not good sense for any people that drive so little to own an EV at all, me included.

Thank you all for your replies.

I have contacted several 3rd parties that offer HV Battery replacement.

Gruber Motors said that they have an 8 month wait list!!

Others have several weeks of wait list. All have prices in the $11-15K range that require out of area shipping (the car is in Los Angeles). Frankly I'm amazed that there aren't any alternative Tesla service companies in Los Angeles or reasonably nearby.

Re-Cell has the more attractive offering - their 240+ pack however, it is inly a 74kWh pack at $10,895 + shipping which would add another $2000 or more for a lesser pack.

No matter how I figure it - the better bet for her car is to bend over and pay Tesla for their replacement pack. :mad:

This will ensure that she will face no future service hurdles should they arise. The replacement pack is supposed to be warrantied (many have reported 4 years/50K miles) although it isn't stated on the quote and I have yet to get an answer or documentation from Tesla Service that shows the specific warranty in writing.

Overall after reading other threads on this site, there is little doubt that Tesla has covertly decided to remove all older packs (2012-2014Q1 Model S vehicles) from service by setting up the BMS software to flag the battery pack as bad. I'm certain that they are using a 'legit' measuring parameter so that if it were every challenged in court they could support their decision. No doubt the 'legit' parameter is some value based on the design of the battery pack that they can exploit. I'm an engineer and I certainly know how easy it is to conceal and manipulate technical data - especially from mere mortals that would be on any jury.

Turns out many Model S cars around the world have more recently reported the dreaded BMS_u029 - Maximum battery charge level reduced. 9 years of age seems to be the magic number regardless of mileage. Tesla controls ~65% of the EV market and this is life with a technologically astute monopoly when there are no other service alternatives. Tesla has a stranglehold on the service of their cars that 3rd parties can barely make a dent into. Tesla can and will do whatever it wants. They can and will get away with almost every underhanded thing that they do because the cost and complexity to investigate them is very steep. Class action lawsuits will yield lots of $$$$ for lawyers and a pittance for owners as has already been proven time and time again which has only emboldened them to be even more aggressive at soaking the current owners. You can bet that they will do this with all of their vehicles down the road. I suspect that 10 years will be the typical limit before a new battery pack will be required - for any of their cars - a guaranteed revenue stream with minimal effort and maximum profit. The euphemism I would use is - a 'subscription fee' for the continued operation of the vehicle. The result for Tesla is (a) they make about the same margin on an older car by replacing a battery or, (b) that older vehicle is taken off the road and the resale market - opening the door for the sale of a new replacement. Either way the company wins and they actually maintain similar margins whether selling a new car or replacing the battery in the older one.

There are simply no ethics in any major business anywhere, anymore. Tesla is not an exception in that regard, it is the rule. It is no doubt following the exact same business model as Apple and others. Customers should feel privileged to get to use their product. The customer will never really 'own' the product in spite of the appearance of ownership. The company will then decide how long the product will last and use it to continue to milk a revenue stream from. When the company decides that the product life has ended - it will simply shut down the products in the wild - no doubt making some claim that it is in the interest of public 'safety' - that wonderful Orwellian watchword and those affected will simply have to deal with it. Sure there will be a lot of screaming but in the end nothing of substance will be done. Those affected will be forced to purchase replacements which will result in a turnover of vehicles - even if they purchase from competitors and this will open the market to the sale of new vehicles. Even if the government decides to fine or prosecute - it would take years and the cost will have been factored into the sales margins that we all pay. The corporation and its shareholders will lose nothing!! The customers will subsidize any fine or punishment that may come down the line and by that time 100's of thousands of new vehicles and/or batteries will be sold making any fine or punishment nothing more than a cruel joke.

Tesla has completely walled itself from the outside world. They don't need to talk or communicate with anyone. The basic middle finger to all is much the same as all of the other major corporations that control our lives. There is nothing that anyone can do to compel better corporate ethics or customer service and we are collectively stuck with having to rely on all of this 'tech' in our lives whether we like it or not since you cannot realistically live as a Luddite in today's world.

This is the price we pay and nothing and nobody will effect any substantial change. Humans are by nature selfish and greedy creatures who will take everything they can when given the opportunity. Elon is no different in spite of his apparent altruism.

Cost the quoted is:

View attachment 927187

---
Bob Atkins
Having been there, I am 100% emphatic to your pain. The high cost of battery replacement combined with the horrible Tesla customer service made me very angry towards Tesla, swearing I would never buy one again. After finally getting the car repaired by Tesla, $16,500 later combined with other expensive repairs (Air suspension $3500/MCU2 $2000)the car feels brand new again with a 4 year warranty on the repaired parts.

Moreover, after further research it looks like we have fell victim to Early Adopter issues. While the Gen 1 Model S is a great car, it had several engineering issues that were fixed on 2018 and later versions, including the battery. These Teslas are much more reliable with a battery pack that's highly likely to last over 300k miles. It's also the little things on these newer Model Ss that I'm attracted to. My 2013 Model S has uncomfortable aged old design seats, side mirrors that don't fold electronically, no adaptive cruise control, no lane assist, no parking sensors and no tire pressure display. Furthermore, while Supercharging is free, it's significantly slower with no ability to take advantage of V3 or V4 superchargers.

My anger towards Tesla has faded as I come to the realization that no other car manufacturer is even close to Tesla's Charging Network or battery technology. Moreover, the Tesla price cuts have made the Model S L(and even Plaid) a reasonable value and the used market of 2018 and later even better. I now plan to sell my 2013 Model S and replace with a 2020 or later Model S.

And the most important lesson learned? Do not keep any Manufacturer's 1st Gen EV past warranty expiration.

Also, if you ever feel bad about the cost of the battery just think of all the folks paid $15,000 for FSD. Or the folks who rushed to buy Teslas in the pre price cut, post COVID inflated market.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411_133833_Twitter.png
    Screenshot_20230411_133833_Twitter.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 237
Wow. If Gruber Motors has an 8 months waitlist, it's probably about 240 cars they have lined up I'm guessing that needs service.
Personally I'd take anything they say with a pretty big block of salt. It seems the only thing they produce these days is YouTube videos. If they had 200+ cars in line we'd certainly know about it here. As it is, I can't recall a single instance of someone reporting Model S/X battery work done by them in ages.

Having been there, I am 100% emphatic to your pain. The high cost of battery replacement combined with the horrible Tesla customer service made me very angry towards Tesla, swearing I would never buy one again. After finally getting the car repaired by Tesla, $16,500 later combined with other expensive repairs (Air suspension $3500/MCU2 $2000)the car feels brand new again with a 4 year warranty on the repaired parts.

Moreover, after further research it looks like we have fell victim to Early Adopter issues. While the Gen 1 Model S is a great car, it had several engineering issues that were fixed on 2018 and later versions, including the battery. These Teslas are much more reliable with a battery pack that's highly likely to last over 300k miles. It's also the little things on these newer Model Ss that I'm attracted to. My 2013 Model S has uncomfortable aged old design seats, side mirrors that don't fold electronically, no adaptive cruise control, no lane assist, no parking sensors and no tire pressure display. Furthermore, while Supercharging is free, it's significantly slower with no ability to take advantage of V3 or V4 superchargers.

My anger towards Tesla has faded as I come to the realization that no other car manufacturer is even close to Tesla's Charging Network or battery technology. Moreover, the Tesla price cuts have made the Model S L(and even Plaid) a reasonable value and the used market of 2018 and later even better. I now plan to sell my 2013 Model S and replace with a 2020 or later Model S.

And the most important lesson learned? Do not keep any Manufacturer's 1st Gen EV past warranty expiration.

Also, if you ever feel bad about the cost of the battery just think of all the folks paid $15,000 for FSD. Or the folks who rushed to buy Teslas in the pre price cut, post COVID inflated market.

I don’t buy that the newer packs would last “indefinitely” and with your awareness of FSD, I can’t understand why you would believe that BS either. The chemistry of these batteries dies with both cycles and time.

Remember when FSD did the big rewrite and that would fix everything? Or getting rid of radar would fix phantom braking (or breaking for all the people that don’t know the difference🤣)?

Now it’s, “oh, our new batteries will solve everything magically. Of course we glue it all together with goop that needs to be dry ice blasted to get to the batteries for any repairs, but trust us, these batteries are made of pixie dust and unicorn piss.”