Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery failure! 2014 S85 with 43,000 miles, single owner car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with everything you said, except the part where you are suggesting your mom repair the car.

Why not take that $20,375.83 + whatever $ you can get for your now totaled parts car and buy a nice ICE vehicle for her? The used car market is back in the dumps, so she can pick up a very nice used and reliable ICE car for that money and still have enough pocket money left over to cover gas and some very nice meals at a fancy restaurant. I mean at that age, how many gallons of gasoline is she going to use? In reality, it's not good sense for any people that drive so little to own an EV at all, me included.
You may also be able to locate a hybrid or plug-in hybrid or a used EV. I've seen some certified ID.4 for $35K. An under $25K PHEV or EV can net up to $4K back in federal tax credits.

C'mon man, you can tell me an early S is up to the standards of new cars? It's honestly like a kit car, and with 9 years of aging, it's definitely not up to the standards of a newer car.

Now the later S is a lot better, which is why I own one, but no one in the whole world is going to pretend that the interior of a new Model S is up to the standards of it's late model luxury competition. You're just coming off as a fanboy to deny that fact.

And just because someone calls out shenanigans of others doesn't automatically mean they are innocent of shenanigans. That reminds of grade school when whichever kid got to the teacher first to complain about another kid automatically meant they weren't guilty even though they probably did the same thing. Time to grow up, Victor. We're not in grade school anymore.
Oh I agree on interior. The Model S has an interior on par with a 50 or 60k car at best. Thats why I'm glad they've been cutting the prices down to reasonable valuations. 120k+ for that interior was highway robbery. And don't get me started on 15k price to but you and your family's life in danger with "FSD"

Late 2017 saw the last known changes to the 100-type cells, and these are currently still in production.
Are the "100-type cells" in production for the current LR and Plaid S/X?

While on the topic of production; do you know if Tesla still produces spare battery packs for pre 2021 S/X, or did they only during production of concerned models? If only made during the main production run, will be interesting to find out in the future if they set aside too few or too many for spares...

Are the "100-type cells" in production for the current LR and Plaid S/X?

While on the topic of production; do you know if Tesla still produces spare battery packs for pre 2021 S/X, or did they only during production of concerned models? If only made during the main production run, will be interesting to find out in the future if they set aside too few or too many for spares...
Look on this forum for many postings about the 1014116 series of (new) replacement batteries for older Model S cars - these are being made out of current 100-type cells, but using 14 cells instead of 16. It would not make sense for Tesla to let batteries sit around as spares, because they degrade with calendar age.

Reactions: GSP and Olle
Look on this forum for many postings about the 1014116 series of (new) replacement batteries for older Model S cars - these are being made out of current 100-type cells, but using 14 cells instead of 16. It would not make sense for Tesla to let batteries sit around as spares, because they degrade with calendar age.
Interesting thanks! Hopefully that means there will be enough packs even if more early packs than expected were to fail. Straubel said they were designed for approximately 10 year lifespan so the first Ss are probably brushing up against the design limit by now.

interesting choice with 14 modules. I can see why, the simplicity of a single module type for all pack sizes keeps costs in check. 14 modules instead of 16 -> from original 400V to 350V. Makes you wonder if the electronics would overheat even quicker than before, as you would use more current at 350V. That was my only complaint on my 2012 P85, after 10 min of spirited driving it got hot and reduced power. But perhaps most of them have gotten a less heat prone DU under warranty by now. Mine got replaced several times in the beginning.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Cell degradation was a huge problem for Gen 1 Priuses. People would get an expensive replacement battery that had been warehoused for years. Only had 1 -year warranty and it would die quickly.

A company made an aftermarket battery using new Gen 2 cells which was cheaper and better.

Better to be able to use adapted current cells.

Reactions: Olle
Interesting thanks! Hopefully that means there will be enough packs for older cars. 14 modules instead of 16 -> from original 400V to 350V. Makes you wonder if the electronics would overheat even faster. Since you would use more current at 350V. That was my only complaint on my 2012 P85, after 10 min of spirited driving it got hot and reduced power.
It’s probably the coolant pump that is causing power. I had at one point of my 2017 Model S 75rwd, at 50k miles, after driving 45 minutes, it reduced my power. Brought it to the service center, they replaced the all the coolant pump and valves.

• Informative
It’s probably the coolant pump that is causing power. I had at one point of my 2017 Model S 75rwd, at 50k miles, after driving 45 minutes, it reduced my power. Brought it to the service center, they replaced the all the coolant pump and valves.
Nope, my P85 was like that from day one, brand new.

Your 2017 probably has a better, newer style DU than my 2012 that doesn’t overheat as easily, (if everything including coolant pumps are in order. )

My mother-in-law (aged 84) purchased a 2014 S85 new - she paid for an additional 4 years of warranty (total of 8).

The HC battery failed (a message was displayed that maximum battery charge level reduced. It won't charge to more than 100 miles. It won't charge on a supercharger at all and it only charges at 3 Amps on an standard AC charger. The car is effectively bricked at 43,000 miles, 1 year (to the day) after extended warranty ended in March 2022 and it is now suddenly worthless. Most of the car's life it was charged on a standard AC charger with occasional Supercharger use. Rarely over 80% charge and rarely, if ever run below 25% charge.

This battery in this car lasted all of 43K miles! Ridiculous! Battery degradation problem is totally hidden from view.

Tesla is demanding $20,000 to replace the failed battery - no core exchange value for the old pack - they just keep it and give nothing for it!!

Tesla service manager claimed that he would escalate for consideration and then told me to expect to wait 4-6 WEEKS for the issue to be reviewed!! RIDICULOUSLY insensitive!! Unable to use the car for over a month or more!! I also expect that the answer will be NO and that the 4-6 weeks is both a delaying tactic and punishment for even asking for any consideration.

Tesla customer service is non-existent!! You purchase one of their cars and you are on your own. They have their money and aren't at all interested in anything more - unless it is to sell you something. It is IMPOSSIBLE to speak with anyone at Tesla beyond the low level support people that you might be able to speak to on the phone. They cannot escalate. I went as high as I could within the Vehicle Support group and was summarily shut down saying that they were unable to escalate the issue to any higher up management.

Replacing entire battery pack is equivalent to replacing the entire engine and transmission in and ICE vehicle because the alternator failed! There is only one place owner can get service and Tesla knows it! Tesla not willing to service battery pack is profit motivated choice and environmental nightmare!

It has become clear to me that Tesla could care less about their customers and as a company has gone out of its way to make it impossible to get any consideration for serious failures like this. The company is just openly abusive to its customers - t6ake it or leave it - no exceptions! Too bad if your car dies before it even has 50K miles on it. They don't care!!

I personally will NEVER purchase a Tesla and I very much regret having encouraged my mother-in-law to buy one 9 years ago as an early adopter.

It is clear that vehicle mileage is not even remotely a reliable indicator of the potential life left in a car making it a total crap shoot to buy a used Tesla regardless of mileage. The new owner could be be faced with a battery pack failure without any warning that would cost $20K to repair?

I would be grateful to anyone that can offer any suggestions on how to get a hold of anyone at Tesla corporate to review this matter.

---
Bob Atkins
I'll start by saying I usually don't defend Tesla. However, other than manufacturer 'good will,' really Tesla (or any other car manufacturer) has any obligation in a situation like this. A warranty is a contract. Whether you drive the car a lot or a little, it's for a a defined time period. As an owner of any vehicle this has to be recognized. (Which is why I sold my VW Hybrid when it started having issues while still under warranty). While it is disappointing to have a low mile vehicle have issues, it happens in any type of vehicle. I had an Audi A4, 10 years old with only 77k miles. Had horrific oil consumption and should've been serviced under an extended service program, but it hadn't and the program expired. I tried to get Audi to do it. Was I disappointed when they didn't. Absolutely. Did I feel they had any obligation, no -- the warranty and subsequent service program had long expired.

Odds are this isn't 'degradation' that is hidden. More likely, considering it is an early vehicle, there has been a failure internal to the pack with a BMS board or water infiltration. In your case, with the low miles, it is an ideal candidate for service through 057 Tech, as they have the capability to diagnosis the pack and perform repairs if it is a BMS board.

To expect a car company to warranty an issue 9 years after the vehicle was new, that's kind of stretching it.

Agree with everything you said, except the part where you are suggesting your mom repair the car.

Why not take that $20,375.83 + whatever $ you can get for your now totaled parts car and buy a nice ICE vehicle for her? The used car market is back in the dumps, so she can pick up a very nice used and reliable ICE car for that money and still have enough pocket money left over to cover gas and some very nice meals at a fancy restaurant. I mean at that age, how many gallons of gasoline is she going to use? In reality, it's not good sense for any people that drive so little to own an EV at all, me included.
I would disagree. There is plenty of usability left in that vehicle. My only concern (as an early RWD) is that what is the condition of the drive motor. That should be inspected for coolant leakage before popping for a battery. You don't want to have a drive unit failure right after installing the battery

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I'm at 168k miles on the original 85 battery of my 2014 car. and according to recurrent its in better condition than other cars of the same model. But I'm getting the 100 upgrade done at 057 tech for $23k anyway just for the more range and charging speed that a 100 provides.
I'm fairly confident that people that don't use the car often have the most issues
Would be interesting to have 057wk chime in on this. I have wondered too if it's just anecdotal that low mile Teslas seem to have more battery issues or not. Suspect 057 has some statistics gathered on this.

In my case I have a 2015 with 132k miles. I drive it hard an often. Peform about 40% supercharging. Looking at the Teslafi data, no significant degradation from 70k miles (when I purchased) onward

In my case I have a 2015 with 132k miles. I drive it hard an often. Peform about 40% supercharging. Looking at the Teslafi data, no significant degradation from 70k miles (when I purchased) onward

Did you you ever considered running the Scan My Tesla app, to get information regarding the whole battery capacity degradation
and cell information such as voltage balancing, cell temperature, and other information that Teslafi could not access?

Also would it be worthwhile doing a Tesla Battery Health Test which could allow I believe to rebalace the cells and could improve
this way the whole battery capacity, and determine battery health and a degradation information.

• Helpful
I would disagree. There is plenty of usability left in that vehicle. My only concern (as an early RWD) is that what is the condition of the drive motor. That should be inspected for coolant leakage before popping for a battery. You don't want to have a drive unit failure right after installing the battery

You literally disagreed with me and then disagreed with yourself in the same post.

It's 9 years old, so in addition to an expensive pending DU failure, it's probably ready to have suspension issues soon too, and who knows about the MCU and displays that go bad with time as well. Why would you want an 85 year old dumping good money after bad?

Reactions: buckets0fun
You're right. That's why I'm a fan of folks like Jay Leno, the Petersen Museum, Bill Harrah, etc.

My fun car is a 1965 Jaguar E-Type Roaster that was previously owned by the CEO of the company that invented the catalytic converter. Which is ironic since it doesn’t have a catalytic converter. In fact, while my Model S is an “emissions-free” car and my Jag is an “emissions-equipment-free” car. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and NV Ray