Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Potential Collision Center Lawsuit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Model S, 73k Miles. I was involved in a side impact collision and the car was towed to a collision center for repair. It was there for roughly 4 months waiting on parts, and there was "extensive frame damage" to the vehicle. However, they did specifically state that there was no damage to the HV battery itself. A day after getting the vehicle back from them I get 10 different codes saying the battery is toast, and the car died on me. I had it towed back to Tesla who then said it needed a new battery due to a brick imbalance, and needs a new HV battery.

Charging logs show that the car wasn't charged for about 3 months, and for about 2 of those months the battery was not in the vehicle. Obviously they are denying culpability, but any chance any of this could have caused the brick imbalance?

2013 Model S, 73k Miles. I was involved in a side impact collision and the car was towed to a collision center for repair. It was there for roughly 4 months waiting on parts, and there was "extensive frame damage" to the vehicle. However, they did specifically state that there was no damage to the HV battery itself. A day after getting the vehicle back from them I get 10 different codes saying the battery is toast, and the car died on me. I had it towed back to Tesla who then said it needed a new battery due to a brick imbalance, and needs a new HV battery.

Charging logs show that the car wasn't charged for about 3 months, and for about 2 of those months the battery was not in the vehicle. Obviously they are denying culpability, but any chance any of this could have caused the brick imbalance?
Contact the responsible insurance company because this should be added to the loss. I run body shops and often we need to replace 12v batteries on ICE cars that sat waiting for parts and the insurance companies cover it. Your car was drivable at the date of loss and now it is not, so it should be covered.

Upvote 0
Yes to the above: contact your insurance company (or the person that hit you insurance company, more accurately) ASAP.

The sooner you do so the better the odds of connecting the battery failure to the accident, which is a MUST.

Do NOT get into the details about battery not being charged, out of the car, etc. Just advise them that the car was not repaired completely and is not drivable.

Upvote 0