Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Replacement — What an I getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey!

My 2015 Model S P85DL high voltage battery just died, and thankfully I still have 8MO of warranty!

Is anyone familiar with the refurb battery pack they’re ordering?

ASY,HV BATT,85KWH, 1.00 S3,BB,DUMO,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1088934-
01-E)

Is there an opportunity to upgrade the battery pack (at my expense for the incremental amount?

Also, is there a reason for replacing control arms when replacing the battery? I just replaced those controls arms in December 😬

Thanks!

Attachments

• BC6A5BB0-C334-46F7-B89A-6266A44E593F.jpeg
    BC6A5BB0-C334-46F7-B89A-6266A44E593F.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
I’m wondering if the warranty on the replacement battery will be 8 months (the remainder of your current warranty) or longer. When my HV battery was replaced recently after 4 years, the replacement (remanufactured) battery‘s warranty ends when my original battery’s warranty would have ended, but that’s 4 more years.

Hey!

My 2015 Model S P85DL high voltage battery just died, and thankfully I still have 8MO of warranty!

Is anyone familiar with the refurb battery pack they’re ordering?

ASY,HV BATT,85KWH, 1.00 S3,BB,DUMO,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1088934-
01-E)

Is there an opportunity to upgrade the battery pack (at my expense for the incremental amount?

Also, is there a reason for replacing control arms when replacing the battery? I just replaced those controls arms in December 😬

Thanks!
Only thing I can think of - Several folks (including myself) opted to get the 85 Reman but a new 90 came instead, at no extra cost to the 85 Reman quote. The 90 requires those suspension parts due to extra weight. Your service center may just being proactive.

I’m wondering if the warranty on the replacement battery will be 8 months (the remainder of your current warranty) or longer. When my HV battery was replaced recently after 4 years, the replacement (remanufactured) battery‘s warranty ends when my original battery’s warranty would have ended, but that’s 4 more years.
Batteries replaced under warranty get what's left of the failed battery's warranty (for OP, only 8 months).
Batteries replaced via payment get what's stated as part of the purchase (which I believe has usually been 4 yr/50k).

Reactions: NV Ray
Thanks everyone!

If they replace those arms, you maybe get the newer 350 volt 90 pack, which is a real upgrade. Fingers crossed.

That would be amazing! The estiamte was pretty clear about the part number though --> ASY,HV BATT,85KWH, 1.00 S3,BB,DUMO,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1088934-01-E).

As luck would have it, I actually already replaced those links with an independent mechanic just a month ago -- if only I had waited, I might have got new ones from Tesla anyways haha!

With that said, for whatever reason, at one point late last night I noticed that I actually had two Service Appointments in my Tesla app. There was the original Service Appointment (and associated chat and estimate) and a new appointment that was blank, but for an earlier date. The original appointment disappeared from my Tesla app this morning, which is a little usual, so I only have the blank appointment now. Maybe if I'm lucky, they sourced a new 90 kWh battery instead haha!

Only thing I can think of - Several folks (including myself) opted to get the 85 Reman but a new 90 came instead, at no extra cost to the 85 Reman quote. The 90 requires those suspension parts due to extra weight. Your service center may just being proactive.

I'm really hoping that they give me a new 90 kWh battery. I've already done the work for them and replaced some of those control arms any, which would reduce their cost a bit! :p

Batteries replaced under warranty get what's left of the failed battery's warranty (for OP, only 8 months).
Batteries replaced via payment get what's stated as part of the purchase (which I believe has usually been 4 yr/50k).

That would be logical. But if the new battery fails shortly after the 8 years are up, you can bet that I wouldn't be pleased about, and I'd go from being a "brand ambassador" to a "brand detractor". I think Tesla needs to be careful with how they deal with these expensive battery replacements, since that's the primary fear of people going from ICE to EV. I have one friend who purchased a new Tesla because of me, and another who is just about to buy a new one. They asked about my experience before buying into Tesla (and I share my detailed service history/costs). If Tesla develops a reputation of treating people poorly on battery replacement, that could really hurt their sales.

I subscribed to TeslaFi since I purchased the car, and it's "Battery Degradation Report" and it shows that my range exceeds the Fleet. At least I have this data in case the replacement battery, whatever it happens to be, doesn't perform as well as my prior battery for capacity or charge speed. I've also included the stats from my last supercharging session, but I'm not sure what's important to look at in that data :p

TeslaFi -- Battery Degradation Report
2023-01-20 -- TeslaFi -- Battery Degradation Report v1.png

TeslaFi -- Last Supercharge stats:
2022-12-12 -- Last Supercharge Stats v1.png

Hi again,

My new service appointment was updated with a new estimate nearly identical to the first, except that they removed one suspension link (that was probably added to the original estimate by accident)

REAR UPPER LINKSUSPENSIONASSEMBLY - DUALMOTOR(1027426-00-A)

Everything else in the estimate is identical. When picking up my loaner today, I asked about what battery pack I'd be getting and expressed my concern about a remanufactured pack possibly not being as good for range as my original pack. I also asked if it would be possivble for me to "upgrade" to a better pack, even if it's at my expense. After some discussion, the service rep talked with the tech.

They said they don't have any control over what battery pack is shipped from Tesla, but for whatever reason, he said the tech was 99% certain that it would be a 90 kWh battery that's locked by software to 85 kWh, and that I could perhaps unlock it to a 90 kWh capacity for a fee TBD. The suspension links are apparently ordered at the same time since the newer design is needed to support the weight of a heavier battery (but then he also said that they order them as a precaution in case the existing links are damaged during the install). It would be great news if I get a 90 kWh pack, even if it's software limited to 85 kWh, since I'm reading some pretty bad stories about the 85 kWh remanufactured batteries online. I just want something that'll last and have good range like my old battery. The Tesla Service Rep is going to message me in a few days once he knows for certain what battery is being shipped, but I'm still skeptical. He might have just said what I wanted to hear to get me to leave the Service Centre, since the battery part number on the estimate still reflected a remanufacturered 85 kWh battery:

ASY,HV BATT,85KWH,S3,BB,DUMO,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1088934-01-E)

My fingers are cross that they simply haven't checked their inventory yet, and that the battery will be updated to the following once the pack ships:

ASY-HV BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C)

Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but I know that my car was originally sold as a 2015 P85D and was later modified by Tesla in some way to add Ludicrous to become a P85DL as soon as Ludicrous became available. Would this conversion to Ludicrous have any impact on my battery requirements?

Thanks!

That would be logical. But if the new battery fails shortly after the 8 years are up, you can bet that I wouldn't be pleased about, and I'd go from being a "brand ambassador" to a "brand detractor". I think Tesla needs to be careful with how they deal with these expensive battery replacements, since that's the primary fear of people going from ICE to EV. I have one friend who purchased a new Tesla because of me, and another who is just about to buy a new one. They asked about my experience before buying into Tesla (and I share my detailed service history/costs). If Tesla develops a reputation of treating people poorly on battery replacement, that could really hurt their sales.
But the battery they are giving you under warranty is likely just as old, and of similar range, as your existing battery being replaced. Since your current battery failed prematurely, hopefully this replacement will last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: VifferFun
Not to hijack the topic, but just to clarify to reply.
If I bought a brand new battery, as opposed to a warranty replacement, they can still put a 4 yr 50k battery in there ?

Reactions: DerbyDave
But the battery they are giving you under warranty is likely just as old, and of similar range, as your existing battery being replaced. Since your current battery failed prematurely, hopefully this replacement will last longer.

My battery had excellent range, but I guess I'm learning that range doesn't necessarily translate to health . I'm really hoping that my replacement is healthier :)

If OP is under warranty (they are), OP, you won the battery lottery. You’ll understand when you get the car back. Congratulations

I'm definitely under warranty -- so far Telsa has been great with respect to the towing, providing me a loaner, and quickly confirming a warranty replacement :) I really hope it feels like I've "won the battery lottery" after getting my car back haha! I think that in order to "win the lottery", there would have to be no remanufactured 85 kWh batteries available so that I'd get a new 90 kWH pack software locked to 85 kWh. Is that what you meant? I hope it comes true! :)

The silver lining to this whole situation is that my battery failed at 7.4 years instead of after 8.0 years :D

Yes, that is what I mean.. doing ANY work on the suspension with a battery changeout means it's the new 350v battery
Thanks for the clarification :) The way it was explained to me, they order the suspension parts as a precaution, in case they're needed (but said that they might not absolutely be needed). I guess I have to wait and see haha!

Is 350V a newer design of a 90 kWh battery? Something that kind of scares me now is this thread where a user claims that the 350V battery might not be compatible with Ludicrous? :S Or maybe it's *almost* compatible, but not ideal? Or maybe the Version A (1014116-00-A) isn't compatible, but the most recent Version C (1014116-00-C) is? The thread gets quite technical and I don't understand it all haha! I guess I should probably just let Tesla do their thing, and then deal with any deficiecies later :p

The performance of the 350 V battery is
close to the original in terms of speed and discharge, however, it is tremendously better in terms of supercharging, speed and range and improved longevity. I wouldn’t hesitate to give up less than a 10th of a second for that.

Thanks! If it's close to Ludicrous, that would be fine by me as well! I just wan't sure if it would feel like it's downgraded to a regular P85D, or if it feels more like something inbetween a P85D and a P85DL. If it's something inbetween, I'd be OK wiht that as a tradeoff for all the other benefits you mention.

Did you actually go through this similar 400V --> 350V situation yourself? If you did, does Ludicrous still appear as a driving mode in your MCU? And does the car still feel like it has Ludicrous acceleration? Not that I launch the car all that often, but when I do, I really love it haha :D

Thanks for the clarification :) The way it was explained to me, they order the suspension parts as a precaution, in case they're needed (but said that they might not absolutely be needed). I guess I have to wait and see haha!

Is 350V a newer design of a 90 kWh battery? Something that kind of scares me now is this thread where a user claims that the 350V battery might not be compatible with Ludicrous? :S Or maybe it's *almost* compatible, but not ideal? Or maybe the Version A (1014116-00-A) isn't compatible, but the most recent Version C (1014116-00-C) is? The thread gets quite technical and I don't understand it all haha! I guess I should probably just let Tesla do their thing, and then deal with any deficiecies later :p
I received the 1014116-00-C pack in November and they did not touch any rear suspension parts. The 350V 90 pack is actually a little lighter than the original 85 pack.

The downside to the new pack is you are going to have to ask for the bill right after ordering, and eat faster than usual in order not to pay for idle fees when supercharging. ;)

I received the 1014116-00-C pack in November and they did not touch any rear suspension parts. The 350V 90 pack is actually a little lighter than the original 85 pack.

The downside to the new pack is you are going to have to ask for the bill right after ordering, and eat faster than usual in order not to pay for idle fees when supercharging. ;)

Interesting. I actually already swapped the rear suspension parts on my own dime in December (but installed by an independent mechanic), so there's probably nothing they have to do related to the suspension. I'm still really curious about the impacts to Ludicrous -- I'm really hoping it's still available, even if it isn't quite as quick as it was with the 85 kWh 400V battery.

Yeah, when I set my supercharge to 100%, I know I can be away from the car for a long time haha! In reading the forums, it sounds like my charge speeds were probably limited at some point. I do recall nearly filling the battery in about 45MIN when I got the car 3.5 years ago, and recently it's been closer to 1HR 15MIN. So it would be nice to get back to faster charges again (altough I don't supercharge very often anyways).

looking to purchase a used 2013 tesla. seller states that the battery was replaced by Tesla last year and they showed be service record. it states

ASY-HVBattery, S3, DM, Remanufactured, MDLS (1088905-01-B). no idea what any of this means, as im new to tesla. Cost $11,250 but tesla adjusted it down to $4,680. not sure why. appears it was replaced after the 8 year warranty expired.

12V battery was replaced, DCS33-UNCR MS--PRE

Drive Unit was replaced ATF, QUART (1031106-00-A) ASY, P-TRAIN RMN MDLS , Base, CMC, HD, FA2+ (10232576-00-Q).

Seller states that they replaced battery and drive unit comes with a 5 year warranty (of which 4 is now remaining). I searched on this forum and online and couldn't not confirm if this new battery would have a warranty?