Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Replacement — What an I getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looking to purchase a used 2013 tesla. seller states that the battery was replaced by Tesla last year and they showed be service record. it states

ASY-HVBattery, S3, DM, Remanufactured, MDLS (1088905-01-B). no idea what any of this means, as im new to tesla. Cost $11,250 but tesla adjusted it down to $4,680. not sure why. appears it was replaced after the 8 year warranty expired.

12V battery was replaced, DCS33-UNCR MS--PRE

Drive Unit was replaced ATF, QUART (1031106-00-A) ASY, P-TRAIN RMN MDLS , Base, CMC, HD, FA2+ (10232576-00-Q).

Seller states that they replaced battery and drive unit comes with a 5 year warranty (of which 4 is now remaining). I searched on this forum and online and couldn't not confirm if this new battery would have a warranty?
There is no need to ask the same question multiple times in multiple different threads.

Your question has been answered in one of the others you posted:

Interesting. I actually already swapped the rear suspension parts on my own dime in December (but installed by an independent mechanic), so there's probably nothing they have to do related to the suspension. I'm still really curious about the impacts to Ludicrous -- I'm really hoping it's still available, even if it isn't quite as quick as it was with the 85 kWh 400V battery.

Yeah, when I set my supercharge to 100%, I know I can be away from the car for a long time haha! In reading the forums, it sounds like my charge speeds were probably limited at some point. I do recall nearly filling the battery in about 45MIN when I got the car 3.5 years ago, and recently it's been closer to 1HR 15MIN. So it would be nice to get back to faster charges again (altough I don't supercharge very often anyways).
I have 10 months left on my warranty so this piques my interest. Did you have any signs that your battery was failing? Or just one day... poof?!

I have 10 months left on my warranty so this piques my interest. Did you have any signs that your battery was failing? Or just one day... poof?!
Interestingly enough, I'd describe it more as a "poof!" -- there were no warning signs whatsoever. In fact, I thought it was impressive how little battery degradation I had over the 3.5 years that I owned the car (which I bought pre-owned from my neighbour). I guess having little battery degradation doesn't imply that your battery can't have a critical failure.

Interestingly enough, I'd describe it more as a "poof!" -- there were no warning signs whatsoever. In fact, I thought it was impressive how little battery degradation I had over the 3.5 years that I owned the car (which I bought pre-owned from my neighbour). I guess having little battery degradation doesn't imply that your battery can't have a critical failure.
This makes me very nervous...

Thanks everyone for your help throughout my battery replacement incident! As an update, here's a chronology of my experience to date for my in-warranty replacement in case it helps other people :) I was pleasantly shocked at how quickly Tesla was able to repair the vehicle!
  • 2023-01-18 -- 2015 Model S P85DL 85 kWh battery dies
  • 2023-01-18 -- Service Apointment booked in Tesla App
  • 2023-01-19 -- Tesla SC sends an estimate, which included a remanufactured 85 kWh battery (1088934-01-E)
  • 2023-01-19 -- Tesla SC asks me to use Tesla Roadside Assist to tow vehicle to the SC
  • 2023-01-20 -- Model S towed to Tesla
  • 2023-01-20 -- Tesla SC provides a free loaner Model 3
  • 2023-01-20 -- New battery (in crate) arrives at Tesla SC
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC swapped to a new battery (90 kWh 1014116-00-C) -- only took them 1HR 15MIN
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC changed the rear upper suspension links and miscelleous battery pieces
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC charged the new battery to 90% (407 kms / 254 mi)
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC sends me a new invoice, which now updated the battery to 90 kWh (1014116-00-C)
  • 2023-01-25 -- Tesla does a road test, then informs me my car is ready for pickup
At this point, I'm pretty happy that I got a new pack because:
  • I now have a brand-new pack, instead of a remanufactured
  • At 90% charge, my range seems to have improved from ~343 kms (214 mi) to 407 kms (254 mi)
  • The new range leads me to believe that my battery is currently unlocked
My questions that are still outstanding:
  • Do I still have Ludicrous power, even though the new pack is 350V (rather than 400V)?
  • Is my supercharging speed improved with the new battery?
  • While my pack is currently unlocked, it is possible that it will become locked to 85 kWh with the next software update?
  • No alignment is mentioned in the quote, but I thoguht it would be required if they replaced rear links?
  • Did Tesla put everything back together well? I'll have my independent Tesla mechanic check
Here's a copy of the relevant portion of the final invoice:

1674672480319.png

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 1674671769301.png
    1674671769301.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help throughout my battery replacement incident! As an update, here's a chronology of my experience to date for my in-warranty replacement in case it helps other people :) I was pleasantly shocked at how quickly Tesla was able to repair the vehicle!
  • 2023-01-18 -- 2015 Model S P85DL 85 kWh battery dies
  • 2023-01-18 -- Service Apointment booked in Tesla App
  • 2023-01-19 -- Tesla SC sends an estimate, which included a remanufactured 85 kWh battery (1088934-01-E)
  • 2023-01-19 -- Tesla SC asks me to use Tesla Roadside Assist to tow vehicle to the SC
  • 2023-01-20 -- Model S towed to Tesla
  • 2023-01-20 -- Tesla SC provides a free loaner Model 3
  • 2023-01-20 -- New battery (in crate) arrives at Tesla SC
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC swapped to a new battery (90 kWh 1014116-00-C) -- only took them 1HR 15MIN
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC changed the rear upper suspension links and miscelleous battery pieces
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC charged the new battery to 90% (407 kms / 254 mi)
  • 2023-01-24 -- Tesla SC sends me a new invoice, which now updated the battery to 90 kWh (1014116-00-C)
  • 2023-01-25 -- Tesla does a road test, then informs me my car is ready for pickup
At this point, I'm pretty happy that I got a new pack because:
  • I now have a brand-new pack, instead of a remanufactured
  • At 90% charge, my range seems to have improved from ~343 kms (214 mi) to 407 kms (254 mi)
  • The new range leads me to believe that my battery is currently unlocked
  • Do I still have Ludicrous power, even though the new pack is 350V (rather than 400V)?
  • While my pack is currently unlocked, it is possible that it will become locked to 85 kWh with the next software update?
  • No alignment is mentioned in the quote, but I thoguht it would be required if they replaced rear links?
  • Did Tesla put everything back together well? I'll have my independent Tesla mechanic check
Here's a copy of the relevant portion of the final invoice:

View attachment 899723

Thanks everyone!
Thx for the update. If you're comfortable, give me a call at 775.476.2916 to discuss your experience and share my sad story.

Reactions: VifferFun
From everything I have read not quite, but how often do you launch your car with Ludi power?
Oh yeah. I was getting a SOC+SC rate factor = 105-120 before, only up near 120 after the last update, now it is 140 if the battery is warm.
Possible, some have had it happen, but if your range was pretty good before like mine, perhaps not. Mine has not been nerfed.
No. The upper links are non-adjustable links that govern the amount of camber for the rear wheels. If anything with new bushings you have a few tenths of degrees less of negative camber, which is a good thing. If it was the toe links then yes. You can see in the picture below the toe links on the left have an eccentric washer (#11) which provides a limited amount of toe adjustment. The upper links (#16) have no such adjustment.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 4.38.41 AM.png

Note that the revised upper link no longer has triangular slots cut out of it, which I assume it less likely to break.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 4.46.44 AM.png

But I still don't know why they decided to replace them on your car: They said "we replace them if needed". Would you be able to ask? It must be a goodwill gesture, as they are not required for the pack, but because the bushings were toast or because of the strength of the newer version of the link?

Reactions: VifferFun
Thx for the update. If you're comfortable, give me a call at 775.476.2916 to discuss your experience and share my sad story.

Thanks for the offer, but being a Canadian our telecom rates for calling the US are beyond stupid haha! Hopefully your sad story has improved!

From everything I have read not quite, but how often do you launch your car with Ludi power?

Oh yeah. I was getting a SOC+SC rate factor = 105-120 before, only up near 120 after the last update, now it is 140 if the battery is warm.

Possible, some have had it happen, but if your range was pretty good before like mine, perhaps not. Mine has not been nerfed.

No. The upper links are non-adjustable links that govern the amount of camber for the rear wheels. If anything with new bushings you have a few tenths of degrees less of negative camber, which is a good thing. If it was the toe links then yes. You can see in the picture below the toe links on the left have an eccentric washer (#11) which provides a limited amount of toe adjustment. The upper links (#16) have no such adjustment.

View attachment 899964

Note that the revised upper link no longer has triangular slots cut out of it, which I assume it less likely to break.

View attachment 899965

But I still don't know why they decided to replace them on your car: They said "we replace them if needed". Would you be able to ask? It must be a goodwill gesture, as they are not required for the pack, but because the bushings were toast or because of the strength of the newer version of the link?

I rarely to a Ludi launch -- mainly when introducing someone to the car for the first time. But it's nice to know it's there when I want it :D But all things considered, losing a bit of the Ludi power is a fair tradeoff for all the other benefits of the 90 kWH pack.

I've never paid attention to my Supercharging speed in the past (since I don't use it often). But I'm pretty sure that 3.5 years ago I could charge from 0% to 100% in about 45MINS. More recently (and prior to the battery swap) I feel like that same charge would be at least 1HR 15MINS. It'll be interesting to see how the new battery does :)

I actually just got a software update today. The range (both in terms of kms and %) remained unchanged before and after the update, so I think I'm nerf free as well haha!

Thanks, that makes sense about the ailgnment! I actually replaced the upper links and the toe links through an independent Tesla mechanic (using genuine Tesla parts) just 1MO before my battery failed. I wish I waited, and they would've been replaced for free haha! I even took a pic of the parts I replaced back in Dec (below), which is identical to the design you shared. It's weird that Tesla still replaced the links, even though I already replaced with the exact same part number (1027426-00-C). They didn't give a straight answer when I asked about why the links get replaced -- they made it seem as if it was possble the existing links could be damaged during the swap, so they prefer to hand the new links on hand to replace them. But I've already read in the forums that the new design is required for the new style of battery pack.

1674769333563.png

Just out of interest, when a battery fails, is it obvious and is there any warning at all?
Are left stranded at the road side, or can you not charge, or not charge fast or above a certain amount?
Depends on the issue. In my case, I got the BMS_u029 error code (even started Facebook Group on it Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook) That error code limited charging range and requires pack replacement. There are other solutions offered that reset the error code are not recommended by @wk057 and @Recell Battery defect for IT brainstorming BMS_u029 - P85 MS 2013

20221016_114813.jpg

@Big Dunc Just wanted to share another story of dead battery. My car died 1.5 weeks ago. 2019 Model X Long Range. 70k miles. I had VERY good battery life, very little degradation. Around 290-295 range left on a full charge.

I was heading out in the morning after a normal 80% charge the evening prior. Started receiving several strange warnings about acceleration reduced and regenerative breaking not working- different than any errors I had seen before. I kept driving to my destination (about 10 miles). Put it in park. When it was time to leave 1.5 hours later, I had several more errors (screenshot attached) and couldn’t put the car in drive. Then everything powered off. I got in and out and tried several times- battery still showing 220ish range. AC would come on, everything good in cabin, just couldn’t put it in drive. Tried all different resets, even unplugged the 12v for 5 minutes. Never worked again. Had to get it towed the next morning (tried again to put it in drive the next morning too).

Tesla immediately recognized that it needed an HV battery replacement covered by warranty. It is just finishing up service now and I’m eager to get the invoice to see whether I got a remanufactured or a new battery!

(FYI before this, I drove a 2018 LR Model 3 for 5 years, 60k miles and never had any issues)

IMG_2920.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS