Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to purchase a Model S 100D battery, and replace the 75 KWH that presently resides in my car. I have a firm that can make the swap and re-program the CPU. My concern is that the car will notify the "Mother Ship" of the swap and Tesla will disable my supercharging, or software updates or even worse, they brick the entire car.

Has anybody had such a swap performed and were there any consequences from Tesla?

Thanks you

Putting a 100 pack into a 75 is not going to be a straight swap. There are many wiring considerations from what I recall.

Someone on YouTube has a video about the process. Tesla obviously will not authorize the swap and I believe you need to cut the vehicle off from all future upgrades.

In short; it’s going to be cheaper/easier to just buy a new car.

When my 85 died. I asked to buy a 100. Tesla said it doesn't fit. And wiring challenge. Software problem.
Bottom line they said no. My car is actually a 2012, built in October. So they said no way. Not if any is true? But that is what they told me.

I want to purchase a Model S 100D battery, and replace the 75 KWH that presently resides in my car....
Did you ever do it? If so, how much did it cost, and how did it turn out?

I'm no expert, but this Gruber Motor Company video Tesla Model S | Battery Upgrades | Gruber Motors (view from time stamp 3:15 to 5:45) suggests you could upgrade to 90kwh, but that upgrading to 100kwh would be unsafe.

90 it's Not very good. Lots of problem on here. Personally. I'm a computer science teacher,. I think it's very possible. Just they don't want any modified cars. Remember when they upgraded 60 to 70 with a quick as patch??
I don't believe they had 4 different battery packs, 60,70,85,90 at the same time. I would bet a steak dinner it was all software controlled. The cost of four different types,sizes of battery packs would not be cost effective. My 85 went bad under warranty. They refused to give me a NEW one that went 265 miles. They gave remanufactured one that only went 225. Excuse, we don't make 85 anymore. That's why I wanted a 100.

I don't believe they had 4 different battery packs, 60,70,85,90 at the same time. I would bet a steak dinner it was all software controlled. The cost of four different types,sizes of battery packs would not be cost effective.
You crack me up, man.

The original 2012-2014 60kwh battery is 14 modules of 384 cells each.
Tesla also sold a "40kwh" version of this same battery that was software locked to the lower capacity.

The original 70kwh battery is 14 modules of 444 cells each.
The 75kwh battery is physically the same as the 70 but with newer, higher energy density cells.
Tesla also sold a "60kwh" version of the 70/75 batteries that was software locked to the lower capacity.

The original 85kwh battery is 16 modules of 444 cells each.
The original 90kwh battery is physically the same as the 85 but with newer, higher energy density cells.

The 100kwh battery is 16 modules of 516 cells each
Tesla now sells a replacement 90kwh pack which is 14 modules of 516 cells each.

There is ample evidence all over the internet to support this. They're not all the same pack. DM me for the address to send the steak... I prefer to cook it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and Rocky_H
My SC Guy said they were all physically the same, fit in same frame. He said 100 was bigger, but couldn't explain fitting in same frame. He said this is my pack in my S, and they all look the same. Realizing we all get different info from SC, but the pictures are better .

Attachments

• 2014-08-19-19.10.42-1280.jpg
    2014-08-19-19.10.42-1280.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
So 3rd party options are not as good or better than Tesla remanufacture?
No, not accurate. You are saying with absolute certainty that they "are not" as good. It's not certain. It's an unknown.

Battery on savage or parts car could be bad or damage
Not so damaged that they don't work. That's obvious. But this is always a question of cost versus warranty. Even Tesla's best price is about $12,000, which does come with I think another 4 years of warranty. Some of the 3rd party places who are getting these used and refurbished batteries to replace can do it for less than half of Tesla's price. Would you be interested in paying 5 or 6 thousand extra dollars to get Tesla's warranty for just 4 years? For most people, that's not really worth it.

I think a lot of people don't think this through. They are very stuck in a mindset of "MUST have warranty". But if you can get the cheaper used thing for a half or third of the cost, sure, it's more risk, but you can go through two of three of them without warranty if it's bad before you even catch up to how much you would have spent for the new thing.