Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hv battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is trying to say my hv battery needs to be replaced because of dead cells in the battery. I had no sudden battery degradation. Charging worked fine. I got error codes about the 12v and my car would not go into drive but my battery stayed full. They took it in and said the coolant pump and 12v had to be replaced which sounds like that would work based off of what I’ve read. Does anyone know if the battery could fail and my car gave no signs of lost battery life or charging problems?

If your car is under warranty Tesla will replace it with a refurbished HV pack.

Also, Provide what are the errors you are getting so someone might be able to help you
If your car is under warranty Tesla will replace it with a refurbished HV pack.

Also, Provide what are the errors you are getting so someone might be able to help you
It’s 2013 out of warranty and has always worked fine with no problems regarding the battery and no drops in charge or bad charging. Can’t remember the codes now it’s been a month since they took it and they erased our conversations on the Tesla app. Basically low voltage and car may not restart.

Hold off on the main battery replacement and see how everything works after the 12 V and pump replacement are done. Ask them to fully restart the car and see if any messages come up. If they do, can you ask them to send pictures and then post those along with a portion of your VIN (you don't have to post the full VIN)? Which service center are you communicating with? If a main battery replacement is still needed, ask for a low cost option or see if you can hold off for the time being if the car is still driveable.

These third-party companies can help also, but the cost will likely be close to $5k for main battery repair services:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.com

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and Guvnah
Hold off on the main battery replacement and see how everything works after the 12 V and pump replacement are done. Ask them to fully restart the car and see if any messages come up. If they do, can you ask them to send pictures and then post those along with a portion of your VIN (you don't have to post the full VIN)? Which service center are you communicating with? If a main battery replacement is still needed, ask for a low cost option or see if you can hold off for the time being if the car is still driveable.

These third-party companies can help also, but the cost will likely be close to $5k for main battery repair services:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

I told them that. To replace the pump and 12v first and then see. But they replied with “if you do not have confidence in our techs you are welcome to have your car serviced anywhere else. We do not demand you get your car serviced here.” Then I got a message saying you accept the $14k estimate or we’re towing your car off of our property by the morning. I’m communicating with the Norwell, Massachusetts service center. The car just said “low voltage” “ car may not restart” I had no drop in range or any weird charging habits. So I was confused as to why they would replace the whole unit. They are very hostile.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

I also hit them up today because they finally agreed to put me on a call with their “lead tech” and I never got a call. They said today I made an inquiry into headquarters so they have to wait for an engineer to look at it before they’re allowed to talk to me. I never contacted headquarters and they said they didn’t either. Everything seems weird…

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
They just

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.cogot back time and said they won’t replace anything for me unless I pay the

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

they finally got back to me and said they won’t replace anything like the 12v or coolant pump until I pay $14k for battery.

They just

If I was you, I’d tow it out of there and possibly go to one of the third party shops that can replace the HV battery for cheaper or another Tesla Service Centre.

I know you probably don’t want the hassle. But from my experience, every time I let inconvenience allow me to do something my gut was against, it hasn’t worked out well. If they’re threatening you into doing a heavy repair and twisting it to imply you don’t trust them, get that car out of there.

They obviously make money on repairs, and it’s a shady business in some Tesla Service Centres. There’s one near my house that I wouldn’t touch either.

Yes please - any updates here in the meantime?
You americans can be happy as you are plessed with 3rd party options at all - in Germany it's Tesla SeC or nothing :(
EDIT: well at least we got strong consumer protection laws, but noone wants to deal with legal battles

You know that isn't too bad. On par with an engine replacement of a luxury gas vehicle I think.
What in the world would a person have to put a luxury gas vehicle through in order to need a complete engine replacement?
Engines are made of hundreds of parts, typically you just replace a part or two, not an entire engine. Unlike what Tesla does with their batteries where they refuse to replace dead modules and instead do the entire thing.

Geez I'm so sad to hear this. No matter how golden Elon may seem, competition and right to repair is always going to be needed.

May I ask what you ended up doing?
Asked them to replace the pump and 12v and make sure it was not dead (because it was low battery and stuck in a garage for a week and a half and not looked at for a month) and then see what the errors are. They refused to do anything I asked even though I offered to pay unless I approved the full $14k estimate. Finally got on a call with their lead tech and after me asking a question like "I was still driving my car when the windows and lights stopped working could the 12v be an issue. Not the whole hv battery" just kept getting single "no" answers and no explanation. Asked about the engineer that looked at it for a month and they had no idea what he did. Now I'm having my insurance company look at it but other then that nothing has happened. The service team has been horrible and hostile.

Tesla service centers are just like any franchised dealership service center - some are good and some are a nightmare. Try a different center. Tesla does not seem to care that some service centers are horrible and the ICE OEM‘s dealerships are now part of huge corporations ( Autonation, Sonic, United Auto Group, etc) so they have very little leverage over them. The end result is that you have to keep rolling the dice until you find a good place to get your car serviced no matter what brand.

Reactions: Yuki Feng