Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got an issue with my MS 70 HV battery and going to get it replaced under warranty. Decided to upgrade the pack to 90kwh but on my invoice they listed this battery part

BATTERY RANGE 1.00 UPGRADE, 70KWH TO
90KWH, MSX(1091845-
09-A)

From reading the forums, A revision is capped at 90kw charging speeds. I currently have a -C battery. After asking my SC about this they assured me I would be getting the most up to fare pack. Any thoughts?

I’ve also been waiting for the pack for over 3 weeks now, is this delay normal?

The delay is normal, yes. You probably have a good bit longer to wait.

You cannot compare A/B/C revisions between completely different part numbers. It doesn’t work that way. The only “A” revision pack that had peak supercharging rates limited to 90kw was the very first 85kwh pack delivered in the earliest Model S. There is no 90kwh part number with supercharging speeds limited in the way you describe.

Upvote 0
They charged me around 4100 including labor and Southern California tax. The cost of the battery upgrade was 3000 plus 220 diagnostic fee for the bms fault code. They also need to replace rear suspension components and other misc items. I asked if I could have the 100kwh battery pack but they said 90kwh was the biggest, likely due to the weight of the 100kwh.

Upvote 0
The first time I've heard this is even a possibility. Thanks for clarifying.

I wonder if they’re proactively “offering” this to people to see if they’ll pay for it because they know they don’t have any reman 70kwh batteries laying around and they’re gonna have to replace it with a new/bigger one anyway?

@jhuang out of curiosity did you request this or did they offer it?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I wonder if they’re proactively “offering” this to people to see if they’ll pay for it because they know they don’t have any reman 70kwh batteries laying around and they’re gonna have to replace it with a new/bigger one anyway?

@jhuang out of curiosity did you request this or did they offer it?
At first they offered the 70kwh, but then I asked out of curiosity and that’s when they offered to do the 90kwh battery pack. I was also a little skeptical if they would so I was pleasantly surprised.

Also the battery pack arrived yesterday so I was able to bring it into service. Total waiting time was 3 weeks on the dot. My rescheduled service was not for another week but they seemed to have no issue with me dropping it off early.

Upvote 0
Got the new 1014116-00-C battery installed. However, since my car used to have a 70kwh pack, the service team said they would need to submit the final invoice to Tesla and then my car will get updated in 1 business week for it to reflect the increase pack size. So it seems right now I have a software locked battery, with range of ~238 miles (expected of a new 70kwh battery if I'm not mistaken).

The interesting thing was during the time at the service center, I was occasionally monitoring the car and I did see the badging on the bottom of the app say 90 under Model S, and I calculated the range to be ~297 miles. But of course later it reverted back to 70kwh specs.

Also does anyone know if these packs also keep track of DC charging sessions and chargegate you after a certain number like the old packs?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Got the new 1014116-00-C battery installed. However, since my car used to have a 70kwh pack, the service team said they would need to submit the final invoice to Tesla and then my car will get updated in 1 business week for it to reflect the increase pack size. So it seems right now I have a software locked battery, with range of ~238 miles (expected of a new 70kwh battery if I'm not mistaken).

The interesting thing was during the time at the service center, I was occasionally monitoring the car and I did see the badging on the bottom of the app say 90 under Model S, and I calculated the range to be ~297 miles. But of course later it reverted back to 70kwh specs.

Also does anyone know if these packs also keep track of DC charging sessions and chargegate you after a certain number like the old packs?
@jhuang When you have done some SC charging with the new pack, please share what speeds you are getting.

Reactions: jhuang
Upvote 0

this is interesting, my service center told me 24-48 hours to be changed to 90d and i too saw them change it back and forth to 90d and 85d in the service center, i got my car back on friday and its still 85d. the guys said the "engineering team" (i think) wants to see the paid invoice before they change the car to take advantage of the larger pack, and that when they change it to a 90d it would be impossible for another service center to revert it back.
1 business week maybe makes more sense, and i am really hoping that they change some other things that unlock faster supercharging, my pack did not go above 115kw when supercharging, however it held a higher speed for much longer than usual, at 70% it was above 70kw, where as before 70% was 40kw if i was lucky... maybe i should make a video of it the way it is now vs later when it gets changed to see if theres any difference... because ive also seen someone else post a screen shot at 122kw @ 45%
since they told me 305 miles @ 285 wh/mi that leaves me to believe its capped at 90% total capacity right now at 275 miles 100% charged

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117_161351_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_161351_Tesla.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_20221117_205330_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_205330_Tesla.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20221118_152536.jpg
    20221118_152536.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is interesting, my service center told me 24-48 hours to be changed to 90d and i too saw them change it back and forth to 90d and 85d in the service center, i got my car back on friday and its still 85d. the guys said the "engineering team" (i think) wants to see the paid invoice before they change the car to take advantage of the larger pack, and that when they change it to a 90d it would be impossible for another service center to revert it back.
1 business week maybe makes more sense, and i am really hoping that they change some other things that unlock faster supercharging, my pack did not go above 115kw when supercharging, however it held a higher speed for much longer than usual, at 70% it was above 70kw, where as before 70% was 40kw if i was lucky... maybe i should make a video of it the way it is now vs later when it gets changed to see if theres any difference... because ive also seen someone else post a screen shot at 122kw @ 45%
since they told me 305 miles @ 285 wh/mi that leaves me to believe its capped at 90% total capacity right now at 275 miles 100% charged
haven’t taken the car supercharging yet but they ended up updating the car to 90 on 11/22. I left service on 11/17. My max range is around 297, you should be getting the same.

Upvote 0
haven’t taken the car supercharging yet but they ended up updating the car to 90 on 11/22. I left service on 11/17. My max range is around 297, you should be getting the same.
I'm super stoked it just got changed to a 90d today, at 158 miles it shows 51%
That makes 310 miles at 100%, but they told me to expect 305. At 156 it will probably show 51% also which would make it exactly 305. The dual motor cars were always rated for more range than the single motors.

Reactions: jhuang and kirkusss
Upvote 0
I'm super stoked it just got changed to a 90d today, at 158 miles it shows 51%
That makes 310 miles at 100%, but they told me to expect 305. At 156 it will probably show 51% also which would make it exactly 305. The dual motor cars were always rated for more range than the single motors.
Looking forward to hearing about your charge speeds.

Reactions: jhuang
Upvote 0
Held off posting this info since I was going to add on my charging stats, but seems like we'll get something from @Videomatic3 .

Just wanted to share some data points if anyone else is interested in this process. Before the swap I owned a 2015 MS 70 pack no. 1055893-00-C. Had around 190k miles on it with max SoC 210 miles, I was a very frequent SC visitor, but don't have the exact stats. Did many road trips from Bay <-> LA and Bay <-> Seattle. Charging speeds before the battery failed would max out at 100kw in ideal conditions for maybe 2 seconds, mostly hovered around 50-60kw, would dip to terribly slow rates like 10kw at 90% SOC.

Upvote 0
Held off posting this info since I was going to add on my charging stats, but seems like we'll get something from @Videomatic3 .

Just wanted to share some data points if anyone else is interested in this process. Before the swap I owned a 2015 MS 70 pack no. 1055893-00-C. Had around 190k miles on it with max SoC 210 miles, I was a very frequent SC visitor, but don't have the exact stats. Did many road trips from Bay <-> LA and Bay <-> Seattle. Charging speeds before the battery failed would max out at 100kw in ideal conditions for maybe 2 seconds, mostly hovered around 50-60kw, would dip to terribly slow rates like 10kw at 90% SOC.
Hover around 50-60kw even at something like 15% SOC. If so, that's very different than what I've experienced, but the10kW at 90% SOC is what I'd expect with my car.

Consistent formula for me is SOC + Power = 100-ish (can go up to 105 when below 50% SOC).

10% SOC and get 93kW.
40% SOC and get 60kW.

Example:

1669255618243.png

Upvote 0