Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC and Melted Part

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T_Jeves

Aug 31, 2021
Utah
I’m a new-used tesla owner and the 2016 Model s 60D I bought is having issues with the HVAC. The AC seems to not work while parked. The service center diagnosed the issue as:

"Found that there was an issue with the discharge pressure and temperature being too high from the A/C compressor. Was able to diagnose the issue as a burned out/melted relay assembly and harness......"

I was able to locate the melted assembly that was damaged and wondered if anyone help identify this part (see pics) so I could find one and swap it out rather than replace the whole front wiring harness for $2500? Thanks
Part.JPG
thumbnail_IMG_0087.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0088.jpg

I can't tell from the photo what melted, but I suspect there is more going wrong that caused the relay to fail. Perhaps:

1) The HVAC is weak (low coolant?) and is running far more than it should, causing the relay to fail.
2) The compressor is slowly going bad, drawing more current (but less than would blow the fuse).
3) The compressor is running at maximum power all the time.

Other factors are the vehicle's mileage and where it is being driven. While it should hold up in any environment, if you do a lot of high-speed driving in Death valley (120F+ temps), it may be too much for the HVAC that needs to run at maximum power all the time.