Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC became inoperable today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car back from the service center yesterday and one of the items was to check on the crossed condenser lines. They checked the service bulletins and said that my VIN was not in the range. It is 001984 if someone is curious. I believe there are other cars near my range that are affected.

They also pulled the logs on the car and did not find issues and cooling effectiveness is pretty decent.

My car is still very loud when the AC kicks in and my energy usage driving back from the SC on a mix of freeway and local streets in 95 degree temps is about 390Wh/mile. High in my opinion.

Will have to keep monitoring this.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
My Vin is with in a few after yours 16xx. I was told the same story as you about three weeks ago. I took it in anyways as I was having a ghost obstruction on the driver FWD. took it in last Monday am with a appointment to replace the sensor. They checked the AC with out asking and now say they have to replace one on the lines and parts were needed. They said should be done on Monday. Still a great car!

I got my car back from the service center yesterday and one of the items was to check on the crossed condenser lines. They checked the service bulletins and said that my VIN was not in the range. It is 001984 if someone is curious. I believe there are other cars near my range that are affected.

They also pulled the logs on the car and did not find issues and cooling effectiveness is pretty decent.

My car is still very loud when the AC kicks in and my energy usage driving back from the SC on a mix of freeway and local streets in 95 degree temps is about 390Wh/mile. High in my opinion.

Will have to keep monitoring this.
Our white MX VIN is 1985!! Today did a 120mi drive round trip and had the similar efficiency. 20" wheels. Hot Socal day HVAC at 70. I did notice the fans run considerably less than they did before they swapped the lines.

I too have been having A/C issues, loud blowing from fans and also now a "thumping" noise like some motor or pump turning on and off whenever the A/C is on... Perhaps that's the compressor???

My VIN is 38xx so I'd be interested in what the affected range is as well. I've already contacted my SC who said they would speak to the techs and call me back. I was told about battery charging and high speed reducing A/C to cool battery pack etc... I knew all that but the last few days have only been in the low 80s here in Chicago and still no a/c... And that's just driving lightly on local streets and 70 on the tollways.

So I'll call tomorrow again and report the poor performance again with the recent lower temps.

Question, does anyone know where to look to check if the lines are switched? This is a long shot, but as a dyi guy, does a service manual exist for and tesla vehicles?

What was the issue? Did your AC stop working? Worried about a upcoming road trip. My AC is loud and I hear a rumble when the car idles or drives at a low speed
Short version:
Worked fine when the car was moving. Did not work when the car was stationary.

Longer version:
According to the tech at the SC, if the condenser can't dissipate the heat the pressure in the system builds up and the AC compressor shuts down. While moving the airflow was sufficient to cool the condenser coils. But when stationary, without the condenser fan moving air through the condenser coils, pressure would build up and the compressor would shut down.

Fix was a few days and would have been shorter if the weekend hadn't prevented the part from arriving. Works fine since.

Drove to work today, despite the door latch issue and now the A/C is completely dead, hot air (hotter that the outside) coming from the A/C still with loud fan. So I resorted to windows down again.

As a suggestion for those in the same situation... I turned A/C manually off, but with the fan on at full blast, so I could at least get some "cool" (87 degree) outside air on the expressway...

SC is booked until next Wed., will also address the door latch issue along with some door alignment issues leftover from delivery at this time. Will update later, hopefully I get a decent loaner, if not an X, hopefully an S at least rather than an ICE vehicle.

Drove to work today, despite the door latch issue and now the A/C is completely dead, hot air (hotter that the outside) coming from the A/C still with loud fan. So I resorted to windows down again.

As a suggestion for those in the same situation... I turned A/C manually off, but with the fan on at full blast, so I could at least get some "cool" (87 degree) outside air on the expressway...

SC is booked until next Wed., will also address the door latch issue along with some door alignment issues leftover from delivery at this time. Will update later, hopefully I get a decent loaner, if not an X, hopefully an S at least rather than an ICE vehicle.

That is horrible, what is your VIN? I have a road trip coming up and if the AC fails...I don't know what to say. Does the rear AC still work, since it is on a separate compressor?

I'd contact them ahead of time (a few times if necessary) and let them know this is your expectation. I'm sure they can make it happen (the S, not the X), but if you don't push it, they'll put you in an Enterprise rental if necessary.

Ohmman, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Cpt. Sunshade ;-) Thanks for reminding me that I still have to ask for my sunshade!
VIN 34xx, 90D with about 1200 miles on it.
The rear A/C also does not work... wife and young daughter complaining this past weekend confirmed that, doubt it's a separate compressor, I think the air is just ducted differently when the rear A/C is on. Initially, since it was partially working I thought maybe the condenser coil was getting iced up but now that it does not work at all, so maybe the refrigerant has just all leaked out. My main concern is if compressor is shot (maybe that's why I hear/feel the thumping noise). I tried recording the sound today but all you can hear is the fan, I can actually feel the thumping more than hear it.

I think you'll be fine if it is working ok now. My A/C has been declining over the past two weeks at least (when it has gotten over 90 here in the Chicago). So it didn't happen over night and from my searches on the forum, if you had the reversed coil issue, you would have likely complained with the summer weather already. I have no read that the A/C just died suddenly, so if you have no preliminary symptoms, your fine.

I got my X back after a week at Dublin for a FWD sensor issue. The AC lines were also replaced. Noticed the fans are a lot quieter now. Glad it's fixed after being told before that the loud noise was normal.

Sounds very similar to the problems I'm having (poorly functional AC and loud fans) and my VIN is much higher (8300s). Will report back after my service experience (being dropped off this Thursday).