Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC became inoperable today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So long story short, our MX HVAC is inoperable. Went for a 2 hour drive here in LA, had it set to LO and the cabin never got colder than mid 80's. Outdoor Temp was Mid 80's.
I suspect our lines are crossed.
Unfortunately last week when I called the service center to have them check out the loud compressor sounds, they told me a loaner was a month away.
I REALLY hope they can resolve this before a month's time. My wife and 2 babies don't care much for the heat in the car.
I've sent an email to Local Service center, and ServicehelpNA. Anyone have any suggestions how I could get this escalated to have it resolved in less than a month?

After about an hour, I decided to turn off the HVAC, maybe the lines froze? After about 20 mins, turned it on again, still no cold air.

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 3.24.44 PM.png

I just had the same experience coming back from the Napa SC meetup. With the cabin temp set to 68 and an ambient temperature between 90 and 106F, even after 90 min, the cabin temp was 91F as reported by the Tesla app. I realize its hot outside, but after 90 min, the car should be able to pul the cabin temp down to something reasonable. When I got home, I used my IR thermometer to check the temp of the air coming out of the vents and it was in the 88F-90F range.

UPDATE
Just sent email to my SA with two concerns: 1) fixing the AC since my wife does not appreciate being baked in her own car 2) questioning if thermal management of the battery pack has been compromised. I'll report back on what he says.

Last edited:
Yep same here literally no cold
Air today. Tried for over an hour. Luckily I have a service appointment set up at the Torrance service center this Thursday for the already long list of problems the car had at delivery. Many many fit and finish issues.

Just took the MX out for a test: ambient temp 87F, AC set to 69F, air coming out of vents is ~65F, so the compressor is not completely dead.
I'm willing to bet I will have the same result. I will go check. The car never gets used for long trips, my wife typically drives less than an hour when she's running around.
I would bet it's either overcharged or the lines are swapped.
I will let you guys know as soon as it's resolved.

Edit: I went out and had a look. Vent air is 105 Degrees. Compressor sound is gnarly gurgling sound of death.
Here's what it sounds like before the fans spool up at about 25':
Dropbox - Tesla HVAC.m4a

Last edited:
So, chatted with the folks at Rocklin this morning as I just happened to be dropping my Model S off for its annual spa day. They are going to check the car out next week (had a previously scheduled service appointment) to see if there is anything not working correctly, but the initial response was the vehicle was probably behaving as intended: prioritizing cooling for the battery pack over cabin temp.

High 90s and low 100s are par for the course around here during the summer (and apparently going to get more common) and my Model S handles them with aplomb. I would consider it a design #fail if the Model X cannot do the same.

Reactions: ohmman
So, chatted with the folks at Rocklin this morning as I just happened to be dropping my Model S off for its annual spa day. They are going to check the car out next week (had a previously scheduled service appointment) to see if there is anything not working correctly, but the initial response was the vehicle was probably behaving as intended: prioritizing cooling for the battery pack over cabin temp.

High 90s and low 100s are par for the course around here during the summer (and apparently going to get more common) and my Model S handles them with aplomb. I would consider it a design #fail if the Model X cannot do the same.
Isn't that mandatory spa day expensive?

HVAC died for me on my way back from SFO to San Diego. The service tech on the phone had me turn the power off from the console, wait 2 minutes and then restart the car. HVAC turned back on. No problems since then.
That's not acceptable. Your car was probably over $70K. Do you have a service call scheduled?

I'm really trying my best to pull for Tesla, but this is not good.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Lex and Softwizard
I'm at the service center as I'm writing this. They suspect my compressor has failed based on the loud grinding sounds coming from it.
They say they have the parts to fix it. They hope to have it resolved today. If not tomorrow.
I will keep you all posted.
Luckily I have my MS but my wife isn't allowed to drive it. :)
If they don't have a loaner then she will be carless for a couple days at worst