Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC broken already? (Security /Authentication error?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
Hopped into my AWD this morning, probably the 4th or 5th time I've driven it a week after delivery, and the AC won't work. Fan won't work. Heater won't work. It shows as turned on, but clearly no air is coming out. I tweaked all of the settings, reset the display (two thumb reset), powered off the car, then back on -- nothing. It was just fine yesterday.

I called support, and the rep said that he was seeing some sort of authentication error in the logs, and that I'd have to bring my car in for service. Knowing how backed up they are, I can't imagine that even though it's likely a software issue, that it'll be a quick one. What a massive disappointment. The only silver lining would be getting v9 out of it.

Has anyone else seen an issue like this?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I’ve had this twice now. I get in the car in the morning but the fan won’t turn on. I can’t defog my windows. I get drive in at 6am in 40 degree weather with the windows down so I can see. (Thank god for the seat heaters but it makes the lack of a heated steering wheel all the more accute)
I’ve tried rebooting but that doesn’t help. Already took it to service once but they were not able to reproduce it. Everything else seems to work, when I try changing the different air flow zones I hear mechanical ducts moving inside, just no fan.

Anyone else? How do I get this fixed if I can’t always reproduce this?

• Informative
They think mine is some kind of firmware issue that hasn’t been fixed yet.
If it’s a firmware issue though I’d expect more people to be experiencing this but I don’t see many people chiming in about experiencing this too so I’m not sure I trust the service center’s conclusion?

I’ve had this twice now. I get in the car in the morning but the fan won’t turn on. I can’t defog my windows. I get drive in at 6am in 40 degree weather with the windows down so I can see. (Thank god for the seat heaters but it makes the lack of a heated steering wheel all the more accute)
I’ve tried rebooting but that doesn’t help. Already took it to service once but they were not able to reproduce it. Everything else seems to work, when I try changing the different air flow zones I hear mechanical ducts moving inside, just no fan.

Anyone else? How do I get this fixed if I can’t always reproduce this?

I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple days ago. Cold morning, around 5am. On the app I set the car to 80 degrees expecting to get into a nice toasty car. When I got in the car realized the fans were not blowing at all no matter what setting i chose on the touchscreen. About a hour and half later returning to the vehicle, the fans worked, but no hot air in the front, only in the back. Tried all the reset methods. Later that day everything seems to be working, not really that hot air comes out the front. I scheduled a service appointment, but also worried that they won't be able to reproduce the problem. Have had the car since 9/29, first time this has happened. Was a couple days after updating to V9

• Informative
(I was just going to lurk on this forum, but I had to respond to this thread.)

I, too, have experienced this problem. The first time my fan did not function all day (3 different times driving the car), but magically started working again the next day. Despite that, I took it in to the service center where they inspected my car and the logs, and confirmed that there was nothing mechanically wrong with my vehicle, They returned my Model 3 to me and said this is a "known firmware issue" that *may* be fixed in 2018.40, which they could not send to my car at that time. The second time this occurred (today), my fan did not work for the first 2 drives of the day, but again started working on the 3rd drive.

(I was just going to lurk on this forum, but I had to respond to this thread.)

I, too, have experienced this problem. The first time my fan did not function all day (3 different times driving the car), but magically started working again the next day. Despite that, I took it in to the service center where they inspected my car and the logs, and confirmed that there was nothing mechanically wrong with my vehicle, They returned my Model 3 to me and said this is a "known firmware issue" that *may* be fixed in 2018.40, which they could not send to my car at that time. The second time this occurred (today), my fan did not work for the first 2 drives of the day, but again started working on the 3rd drive.

I wonder if it's still worth it for me to take into service. Do they always provide a loaner?

I wonder if it's still worth it for me to take into service. Do they always provide a loaner?

If you have the time, I’d personally recommend you take it in. Maybe they find it is a hardware issue for you, or maybe they can push the firmware with the fix.

I got a loaner, and I believe *most* service centers will provide a loaner if they have one available.

Hopped into my AWD this morning, probably the 4th or 5th time I've driven it a week after delivery, and the AC won't work. Fan won't work. Heater won't work. It shows as turned on, but clearly no air is coming out. I tweaked all of the settings, reset the display (two thumb reset), powered off the car, then back on -- nothing. It was just fine yesterday.

I called support, and the rep said that he was seeing some sort of authentication error in the logs, and that I'd have to bring my car in for service. Knowing how backed up they are, I can't imagine that even though it's likely a software issue, that it'll be a quick one. What a massive disappointment. The only silver lining would be getting v9 out of it.

Has anyone else seen an issue like this?
Why imagine? Make the appointment and see

If you have the time, I’d personally recommend you take it in. Maybe they find it is a hardware issue for you, or maybe they can push the firmware with the fix.

I got a loaner, and I believe *most* service centers will provide a loaner if they have one available.

Will definitely take it in. Fan stopped blowing again this morning.

Similar experience with HVAC today: no air flow but MCU seemingly taking HVAC control settings/changes via the touch screen. Drove in to Burbank, CA SC (crowded for sure) and w/in 10 minutes they diagnosed the issue (yes: it needs an eventual firmware fix but, yes, they can do a 12v reset) and w/in 30 minutes HVAC was working and I was on my way.

During this HVAC outage, I discovered that media player volume automatically increases as the HVAC fan speed is increased, and visa-versa.

As an aside, the actor Jack Black brought his red w/ white interior MX P100D (PtenaciousD perhaps?) in for service. He hung out in the model showroom talking about acting and music with a Tesla employee.

Are all you guys with this problem on v9 now? My car is in the Pop Up for due bill and my husband said he saw a notice that the car had an update so thinking when I get it back they will have already downloaded it. Mobile access is disabled right now so I can’t check the app to see what version it has on it. Sure hope I don’t get it returned with this issue as I usually run out in the early morning for coffee.

Are all you guys with this problem on v9 now? My car is in the Pop Up for due bill and my husband said he saw a notice that the car had an update so thinking when I get it back they will have already downloaded it. Mobile access is disabled right now so I can’t check the app to see what version it has on it. Sure hope I don’t get it returned with this issue as I usually run out in the early morning for coffee.

I am on V9, and the no fan thing happened again this morning. Seems to happen more often when it gets colder. Everytime we hit a new low temp, it seems to happen and then resets on its own and works for the week.