Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hvac Cold Air Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Congo Line

(not the dance)
Feb 2, 2013
East Coast
My wife's 2016 MX 90D has strange AC behavior lately. It puts out lukewarm air for anywhere from 4 to 15 minutes at the beginning of a drive, then something changes and it finally puts out cold air. Doesn't help to turn fan up to '11', nor does it help to put temp down to 'LO'.

I took it in for service and they checked the refrigerant pressure and said it was fine and not leaking. I tried rebooting the main screen and the heads-up screen, without any improvement. Not sure what's going on, but wondering if anyone else has encountered this behavior?

Reactions: spectrum
Yes I’ve had this problem too. Has it been vary humid where you live? It almost reminds me of a swamp cooler. I move from Vegas to Austin and in Vegas it didn’t do it to me as often unless my power was low but in Austin since it’s been very humid it seems to be doing it more. I’m not sure if that’s the reason or not. I would like to see more comments to confirm if it is.

My 2016 MX75D has been garaged in our Colorado home since April 1st, while we were in TX home. We just got back to Colorado and I download software 20.4.

Driving yesterday I thought my AC was broken getting intermittent cold air but mostly lukewarm. We are in the Mountains of the Vail Valley where the humidity is very low.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I'll try a reboot and hope for the best

The same thing happens to my 2018 X 100D. I have the 6 seat configuration. I don’t know what’s wrong with if, but it’s always been like this. It blows hot air for a while, and it’s annoying on short drives because the AC basically never gets cold during them.

Update to my original post: Took it to a different service center, they said it was a refrigerant temp sensor (if I recall correctly), had actually ordered it in advance of my appointment. Two hours later, got my car back and AC runs great now.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
Update for me also.

Took my vehicle into Littleton, CO SC last Friday, after 2 weeks of intermittent warm then cool air.

Problem diagnosis was System was overcharged causing Compressor to overheat and shutdown. They also removed 30ml of oil which was insulating hose causing higher pressure than recommended.

Yesterday I drove the 116 miles from SC to my home and so far so good.

That seems a little strange. Refrigerant leaks out - not into a system. If the car had been overcharged at the time of manufacture (which I assume was 2016) it would have manifested itself before now. Has the A/C been serviced in this car since delivery?

Yes 2016 delivery. I have had no issues with A/C prior to July 2019.

Service advisor saw that my X had routine yearly maintenance in Sept 2018 and may have been overcharged then.

I thought it seemed odd as well and will monitor A/C .