Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC: Coolant Pump OverCurrent. ID1441

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0621.JPG
Thanks, very interesting!
How could we update that failure list?

Given that it's a Debug message, I don't think that this should concern you. My guess is that you're getting the message because of the spike of inrush current when the coolant pump starts. Maybe you should turn off the debug message display?

Given that it's a Debug message, I don't think that this should concern you. My guess is that you're getting the message because of the spike of inrush current when the coolant pump starts. Maybe you should turn off the debug message display?
That was my first thought, but then I wondered why the message was even there. It's telling you that something unusual is happening. If nothing else I'd have the Service folks take a look at it at some convenient time.

That was my first thought, but then I wondered why the message was even there. It's telling you that something unusual is happening. If nothing else I'd have the Service folks take a look at it at some convenient time.

Not necessarily. It is a debug message, after all. I don't think that Tesla has ever published a description of how debug messages should be interpreted. So, we're working blind here -- we can interpret this message in any number of ways. This isn't a message that would normally be displayed to an end user/owner -- it's only being displayed because a Tesla technician (or knowledgeable owner) went into the service menu and enabled debug messages to be displayed.

One way that this message could be interpreted is that it was triggered by the inrush current of the coolant pump motor starting, possibly at a normal amount of current. Triggering at a normal(ish) level would allow a tech to confirm that the current sensing system is operating, and is able to create a triggering event. Back when I wrote code, having debug messages that had this sort of behavior was something I did often.

Reactions: wiztecy
And whilst this may be a long shot, it is possible that the volume of gas in the HVAC circuit is low, I had a similar message combined with another error (I forget exactly which), which was due to under pressure in the primary cooling circuit; the decreased volume of gas, made the pump pull more current and subsequently kicked another error up. Easy to get a local garage to check the pressure of gas and it might be an easily fix. Alternatively worth again checking the volume of coolant, a low level would cause the pump to work harder, as would an air pocket.

I am not an expert but with my past experiences on roadsters. I would check the connector to the water pump for signs of coolant. The pumps fail and leak into the connector. The connectors can be sourced at any junk yard as they are the same as most Bosch fuel injectors. Or eBay for $5.00 or so. Regardless of the condition, the water pumps fail frequently and more often if the car has been charged on 120v a lot. On 120 the cars run the water pump for cooling 100% of the time. On 240v they run the AC system to control pack temperatures. BMW uses the pump for a lot of cars, so they are available online. I don't recall the part number but someone here has it.

Attachments

• Bosch.jpg
    Bosch.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Well, I visited the TSS here in Hamburg. Excellent people, friendly and knowledgeable.
The vehicle logs got scanned, nothing wrong. 1441 is a message which should not have come up. It did, because the touchscreen was still in "developer mode". That message will just be collected like many others to create a failure picture of a serious problem.
Thanks again for your help.
BTW, me and my wife just bought # 999 of the European Roadster. Sport, Arctic white, black inside with carbon interior. An excellent car!!!

Reactions: DaveD
It did, because the touchscreen was still in "developer mode". That message will just be collected like many others to create a failure picture of a serious problem.

BTW, me and my wife just bought # 999 of the European Roadster. Sport, Arctic white, black inside with carbon interior. An excellent car!!!

Its actually called "Debug Mode". The Roadster technicians use it as you mentioned to learn more information on the issue since the logs become more verbose. Congrats on your wife's new Roadster too! Sounds like a great household.