Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Failure, Replacement, same issue again...Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we had a pretty decent snow fall here in Eugene, OR about 2 or 3 weeks ago. First day of 30 degree weather I noticed my 2019 Model 3 LR AWD wouldn't pre-heat from the app, it would turn on for about a minute and then turn off, and when I tried to turn the climate back on I received a "Climate failed to start" message. When I got in the car, the seat warmers worked but the heater never blew warm air. This happened for about 4 days in 30 degree weather so I contacted Tesla, they had me do a roadside request and they came and got the car on a flatbed, drove it up to Portland and replaced the PTC Heater and applied a urethane paste to the control arms (looks like this was an issue on a select range of vehicles).

I got the car back last monday and drove it back down to Eugene. The first thing I noticed was that the heater smelled weird, like a faint smell of burning pencil wood, and the heater never really gets "hot", its warm at best even if I kick it up to HI. I tried to preheat the car yesterday and got the same problem I had before, climate would turn on from the app for a minute, and then would turn off and I get the "Climate failed to start" message when I try to turn it back on. As of this morning the app preheat is working fine, but I am worried that this is going to turn into a problem if its not addressed and that the heater doesn't really function as I remember the old one did. Am I correct in remembering that if I put it on HI or even 80 before that it actually blew hot air? Has anyone had a similar issue and know what the fix was so I can direct Tesla at a solution?

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles