Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Feature Not Available on US Model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday I was watching one of TeslaBjorn's videos again and he was doing an efficiency test between the 2021 Model 3 SR vs the 2019 Hyundai Ioniq. Anyway in the video at 4:51 and 19:46, he shows and says that the Tesla can detect when you have one person in the car and only activate the blower for the driver.

I have a 2020 and don't have this feature. How come something like this is not in the US cars? Are there more software feature missing between the different countries?

Hmmm... I need to go try and put the climate in sync mode. Maybe that's it?

Yeah but then why not give this functionality to everyone? Why only 2021s?

Yeah but then why not give this functionality to everyone? Why only 2021s?

I said stronger airflow to driver as the "why" ... this would explain the "how" ...

It appears to me that in earlier revisions, the passenger side was just an air duct. Later revisions, it appears to be a slightly different module which would have an active damper. I'm basing this just on what I see in the parts catalog and logic - see there are two different parts listed for #2? Earlier rev "D" is listed as just a duct. Rev "F" is a vent assembly, much like the drivers' side.

F9FCBFDD-3E0A-46CF-AFD1-3857B5DD3055.jpeg

If there is a physical flapper door that controls the vent OFF position to the passenger when Not present, then why can't there be a exposed setting that allows the vent to be closed when the passenger is present?

If true, might that be able to be a setting/functionality that could be tapped into with tools like the sexy buttons or OBD2 interrupt hardware?

Reactions: DownshiftDre
If there is a physical flapper door that controls the vent OFF position to the passenger when Not present, then why can't there be a exposed setting that allows the vent to be closed when the passenger is present?

If true, might that be able to be a setting/functionality that could be tapped into with tools like the sexy buttons or OBD2 interrupt hardware?
I see your point but sometimes I also see the “tesla way” where they just have it automated based on occupancy detection and they left it at that. One less software button to program and try to fit within the HVAC screen.

A feature would be nice and MAYBE utilized but do you think you would use it often especially with a front passenger who wants the heat or cooling on them also?

An OBD2 setting could be possible though…

I see your point but sometimes I also see the “tesla way” where they just have it automated based on occupancy detection and they left it at that. One less software button to program and try to fit within the HVAC screen.

A feature would be nice and MAYBE utilized but do you think you would use it often especially with a front passenger who wants the heat or cooling on them also?

An OBD2 setting could be possible though…
Only spitballing here, as other than purely as a curiosity I was interested to ask as I have commonly seen complains about the lack of independent on/of per side.

But I trust they could come up with a reasonable way to do it fairly easily?
Maybe add a second fan icon, one on each side of the slider, and each side illuminated blue when active, and dark when off?

GUID-52603571-37D0-48A9-9B49-49C94C3EB05D-online-en-US.png