Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC issues during charging, again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gregd

Dec 31, 2014
CM98
Hi folks,

So last year's annual service resulted in an over-fill of the HVAC system, followed a few months later by an HVAC overtemp (alert 1463 in the logs) during a long drive on a hot day. Had the SC re-do the fill back to the 800g called for on the car's sticker, and all was fine.

Tab forward to this year, and they again drained and re-filled the HVAC system. Claimed it was a) a normal procedure every year (really?) and b) they only pumped out 670 (I think?) or so grams of stuff, so it was a little low. No leaks during the vacuum test, so they put 800 grams back in and put the car on the charger. They now own a CAN-SR, thanks Henry! Now the fun starts.

The car had been sitting out in the sun, and the battery was about 40C. They proceeded to charge at 70 amps. An hour later, the HVAC system overtemps. The charging eventually ended an hour or so after that. I forget if they reduced the charge amps or not. Next day there's another charging session, again with the battery really hot. Another 1463 overtemp. Reduced the amps, and it finished. They claim that it shouldn't have been charged in the sun, and that everything else is fine.

I'm not convinced.

I have the car back with the battery temp in the mid-30's, with no further work done on it, and it seems to be working ok. Charged when I got home, but I only charge at 24 amps, and the ESS temp came down and ended normally with an under-30C temp, so the car had its first peaceful night's sleep in nearly a week.

All this was bugging me, remembering back to the over-charge from last year, so yesterday I caught the car doing its daily top-off charge and looked at the HVAC screen. Details below.

My question: is this running correctly? 100% requested but a lot less received? RPMs different? Pressure different?

Observation is that the requested cooling is 100%, but the system was only supplying 74% when I saw it (it had been running for a minute or two by that time). And, the % Received and RPM kept dropping until it was well under 50%, at which time the cooling request was done (0% request and receive) and the charge finished a few minutes later.

Looking back at last year's numbers, the ambient was a lot hotter, but the "Prefrigerant" pressure was over 22 bar instead of between 17 and 18. The RPM numbers were also very different; a lot higher now than last year (4k-5k vs 2.3k last year). I just caught another session, with similar results. Received peaked at around 93%, then dropped into the 60% range before stopping. RPMs this time went from 5.6k down to 4.something K before stopping. I guess the % Received correlates to the RPM, but why is the RPM dropping with a constant 100% request?

Is this just a matter of the outside temps being much more pleasant this year, vs last? And under what circumstances is an overtemp during charging acceptable and to be expected? I'm still not convinced that I have a healthy car. Thoughts?

HVAC after 2019 service 1.jpg HVAC after 2019 service 2.jpg

Reference from last year:
Pressure after charge with 800g.jpg

Your car is not behaving the way it should. I admit I don't live in a hot climate but I've never heard of an overtemp warning from charging in the sun. A lot of people have charged in the sun in hot ambient temps on long trips without any HVAC over heat problems. PEM and motor overheat, yes, but not the HVAC system.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
An update...

Did a drive down the hill to the SC to schedule the PEM Fan connector repair. They overdid the DeOxit spraying, and ruined the rubber seal. Had to do it in person because they never answer their phone. I noticed that the PEM was running in the yellow. It's hot outside, maybe 100F, but it's been hotter and I've never seen the PEM that hot. Took the back-way up the hill (country roads, lower speed), and it hit power limit temps much of the way. I think the PEM fan ducting isn't properly connected to the PEM.

Anyway, the reason for this update is to say that with the higher ambient in the garage, it looks like the HVAC is probably doing ok. At least, the RPMs and pressure are about where they were last year, and more specifically, the Receiving is now at 100% as I figured it should. So by the numbers, the HVAC is fine. The compressor overtemp, I can't explain. The battery was at about 35c before charging, and ended at 31c, but pulled the logs and there are no new error events.

Any other thoughts, or just let it go for the year and see what happens? The theory about the SC's equipment being out of calibration is certainly one, but I presume the same rig is used for all the cars, so it would have shown itself to be a problem for others by now. I presume, but have no way to check, that they followed the correct procedure with respect to commanding the system to the right mode. They won't let us (the public) talk to the techs...

HVAC after 2019 service 3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190826_164402.jpg
    IMG_20190826_164402.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 61
yea, I would say overfill too, just but 22,3 BAR, does not look that high. I had overfill when 800g too, easy solution is to push HVAC vent for 1-2 secs and you should be allright. At worst you will know that overfilling was not the issue:)

But PEM overheating sound quite scary....

Yeah, totally agree about the PEM overheat. I think it will be safe enough to drive to the SC next week, since it's down hill and first thing in the morning. It seemed like the temps dropped a bit when the car was moving more rapidly, suggesting that the side air ducts were helping move air through the system. I'm going to spend some time today to see if I can see if the ducting has come loose, but I'd rather not try to disassemble anything in the process. Heading to the DIY PEM Cleaning thread next...

The HVAC sticker under the hood clearly says 800 grams, so unless the part it's attached to was replaced at some point (I'm the car's second owner), that's what it wants. It's definitely a 2.0 car, but has the 2.5 front and rear trim pieces. Per the "TEG Archive", the car wasn't sold that way, so the prior owner did a cosmetic upgrade at some point. There was no record of the car being in an accident, at least not that's been disclosed to me, so I have to assume it was for esthetics. And a non-totalling accident shouldn't have affected the sticker, since it's at the rear of the front area.

• Helpful
Reactions: LeoNordic
Does your PEM get hot charging as well?
Like proper hot into the yellow
No, though I think it's a bit warmer than usual. It's in the mid-50's C, charging at 24 amps. Seemed to run a few degrees cooler if I drop the charging to 12 or 16 amps. The fan was blowing like crazy, however.

But, yeah, good question. You can't see the VDS temps display when charging (and I haven't gone into the diag menu), so this is via OVMSv3. (Seriously, folks, if you don't have one of these, you're missing out on a lot of really important information!)

I wonder if they'd allow their main Roadster tech to be hog-tied and stuffed into the back of their mobile service van and carted to my house to do the fix?

No, though I think it's a bit warmer than usual. It's in the mid-50's C, charging at 24 amps. Seemed to run a few degrees cooler if I drop the charging to 12 or 16 amps. The fan was blowing like crazy, however.

But, yeah, good question. You can't see the VDS temps display when charging (and I haven't gone into the diag menu), so this is via OVMSv3. (Seriously, folks, if you don't have one of these, you're missing out on a lot of really important information!)

I wonder if they'd allow their main Roadster tech to be hog-tied and stuffed into the back of their mobile service van and carted to my house to do the fix?
Since the PEM temp issue is scattered among multiple threads (sorry!), a quick update. The issue is apparently that they never properly attached the plastic housing that connects the duct to the PEM. You can see it hanging to the side, between the PEM and battery. Picture and details in DIY: Roadster 2.5 PEM cleaning - step by step That explains everything, including my distrust in their overall staff's abilities.