Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3 which suffers from the HVAC smell issue which is resolved by the filter change and evaporator cleaning. But I don’t see many complaints about it with the Y? Since they share those parts I’m wondering what Tesla did to resolve this? Or is it still an issue and everyone just lives with it?

Uhh thanks ……I did look but there are no recent threads regarding any CHANGES to the system as it seems there are less complaints . Other than heat pump. My post was merged into the smell thread but that’s not what I asked. Next time just ignore my post and move on…..

My point is that there ARE several threads on HVAC filter odor with the MY. AFAIK, Tesla hasn't modified the system.
Tesla did redesign/modify the design of the cabin air filters. Tesla found that the cardboard frame of the cabin air filter, once wet, could provide a medium for mold and mildew to grow. I have not purchased replacement cabin air filters from Tesla, only from Basenor. The redesigned Tesla cabin air filter housing may be made of plastic. The Basenor filter, not a HEPA filter just a plain filter, has a paper/cardboard housing that appears to have a protective coating.

I started noticing an odor in the HVAC system in my 2020 Model Y after not quite 2 years. I changed the cabin air filters and cleaned the evaporator coil at about 25 months. Since changing the filters and cleaning the evaporator coil I have noticed a mold/mildew odor only a couple of times. This was after it had been raining and when entering the Model Y without first preconditioning for a few minutes. The odor did not linger.

Reactions: Pianewman
jcanoe: So, Tesla modified the filters, NOT the design of the HVAC system. That's good to know.

I'm wondering if annual cleaning of the coils will still be necessary? I'm also wondering if adding cut-to-fit HVAC filter media, in the gaping air intake under the plastic frunk shield, would help? I don't live in a forested, heavy leaf-fall area, but I periodically have to remove leaf material from the media I installed.