Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
OK, again, why do we not have a section or two of this board dedicated to issues across the entire model lines? Like "Software" or "Interior" or "Repairs", when I post to the Tesla, Inc. section of the board I feel like it should be related to hiring or stocks or PR. Anyway:

Every car I have ever had has a Vent setting or an AC button that you can turn off so you have it set to cool, but you don't run the AC. OK, actually my Jeep has the button, but when you hit it off it turns right back on. I got in the car yesterday that was sitting in the sun and the HEAT came on. I changed it down a single degree and the AC kicked on. Both are very bad for the battery. So I *could* open the windows and turn off the climate controls with a touch, but I have a car that knows everything that's happening and that I am doing. SURELY it can figure out that it's 67° out and if the car is set for 73° it doesn't need to crank up the AC to cool it out.

Perhaps I need reassuring that the car actually ISN'T running the compressor all the time. Perhaps it does vent after the first few minutes, but it sure seems like the AC is running all the time. That is one thing I like about the Jeep, when the AC compressor goes off so does the light on the button. You know it's venting fresh air.

-Randy

OK, again, why do we not have a section or two of this board dedicated to issues across the entire model lines? Like "Software" or "Interior" or "Repairs", when I post to the Tesla, Inc. section of the board I feel like it should be related to hiring or stocks or PR. Anyway:

Every car I have ever had has a Vent setting or an AC button that you can turn off so you have it set to cool, but you don't run the AC. OK, actually my Jeep has the button, but when you hit it off it turns right back on. I got in the car yesterday that was sitting in the sun and the HEAT came on. I changed it down a single degree and the AC kicked on. Both are very bad for the battery. So I *could* open the windows and turn off the climate controls with a touch, but I have a car that knows everything that's happening and that I am doing. SURELY it can figure out that it's 67° out and if the car is set for 73° it doesn't need to crank up the AC to cool it out.

Perhaps I need reassuring that the car actually ISN'T running the compressor all the time. Perhaps it does vent after the first few minutes, but it sure seems like the AC is running all the time. That is one thing I like about the Jeep, when the AC compressor goes off so does the light on the button. You know it's venting fresh air.

-Randy
I've been hoping for years that Tesla would add a "heater off" button to the "AC off" button, which would allow the equivalent of vent. No luck so far. It is frustrating to have cool outside air and have no way to use it to cool off the inside without having the car run the heater. If my speed isn't too high I've found that cracking a front window on one side and a rear window on the other side gives good ventilation without too much noise. But, really, is a "vent" setting, as you suggest, all that hard to implement?

It's already there. Instead of setting A/C to AUTO touch either the A/C ON or A/C OFF button to control manually. Top of climate control menu.

Exactly this, Press the AC button to off, and then set the temperature to the lowest setting, this way it will only be direct air from outside without heat or cool on. Kinda a laborious way to accomplish this, but it is possible.

Oy! OK, apparently you didn't get my point.

If I turn off AC with that button you suggest the auto settings go away. Suddenly the fan is stuck where it was last. Now I am going to be fiddling with the climate controls every time I go around a corner. I am looking for a system that, as I mentioned, knows everything going on and uses that to keep the car temperate. Just don't do it with the AC if I turn that button off. In my Volvo, you can tell that the AC needs to be turned back on because the Auto setting is cranking the fans, trying to bring cool air in. So for most of spring and fall I turn off the AC and save energy, but I am still comfortable.

-Randy

Reactions: beachmiles
Oy! OK, apparently you didn't get my point.

If I turn off AC with that button you suggest the auto settings go away. Suddenly the fan is stuck where it was last. Now I am going to be fiddling with the climate controls every time I go around a corner. I am looking for a system that, as I mentioned, knows everything going on and uses that to keep the car temperate. Just don't do it with the AC if I turn that button off. In my Volvo, you can tell that the AC needs to be turned back on because the Auto setting is cranking the fans, trying to bring cool air in. So for most of spring and fall I turn off the AC and save energy, but I am still comfortable.

-Randy
Oh now I get ya. Yeah no way to have the fan speed auto, or adjust Anything about the current setting without the HVAC going back into "auto" mode as soon as you touch the center fan icon on the screen.

Yet another thread about the need for more HVAC controls. We need 2 temp setpoints like the Nest. My personal low setpoint would be 60F and my high would be 72F. In this range no heater or AC will come on, only the vent if I desire. Below or above these setpoints the heater or AC will come on automatically. Saving tons of energy and frustration in the process.
Trying sum up all the links here but may need to make a separate thread that lumps all the threads from all the tesla forums over the years for this feature request.
Don't want heater on damn it!

I am on another forum, with less traffic I admit, but those who manage the threads there are great with putting them together, so there are actually very few threads, and the messages get moved around so if you are reading one thread it will be all about that topic. Perhaps we need board software that had AI built in to take care of this function.

Probably doesn't help that this board is broken down by car model, yet most of the experiences are the same across all the cars. So a thread about supercharging a model 3 will have much the same traffic as one about a model x

Reactions: beachmiles