Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC smell after/during rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a bit of mold growth that can happen in any car, especially if you use the A/C a lot or are in a high-humidity area.

You might try and open the windows, run the fan on maximum, recirculation off, and then spray Lysol into the cabin air inlet for 15 seconds or so. Let the fan continue for a few minutes afterward. You might do the same process again after removing the filter, as it may block the Lysol from getting into the ducts.

Sounds like a bit of mold growth that can happen in any car, especially if you use the A/C a lot or are in a high-humidity area.

You might try and open the windows, run the fan on maximum, recirculation off, and then spray Lysol into the cabin air inlet for 15 seconds or so. Let the fan continue for a few minutes afterward. You might do the same process again after removing the filter, as it may block the Lysol from getting into the ducts.
Where exactly is the cabin air inlet on a 2021 plaid?
The smell I get after rain is like nail polish remover. Part of my job is working near small lithium batteries, and it reminds of the smell when they get punctured and start to vent. Slightly concerning to smell something similar in my car

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I have this issue as well. Every time it rains my car stinks. Tesla has replaced both my cabin air filter as well as used the Airco Clean but the smell persists. The smell was there the very next time and every time since when it rains.

Service center can't replicate the issue since I can't coordinate my service appointments with rainfall. Dumping a bucket of water on the windshield doesn't replicate the issue otherwise I would be able to reproduce the problem for the service folks.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Any luck with this issues? I noticed the same on 22 Plaid. Never had an issue before (14 momths) with rain but last two months after every wash i get the werid smell for few minutes before it is gone. I found that leaving the car outside in FL hot summer for a day helps before I park her back in the garage after each wash. Something is getting wet after rain and or car wash that causes that smell.

Okay, interesting find when replacing the HEPA filter (not the cabin filter...already did that)!

**I did this after it stopped raining today so I can see what was going on...

After removing the filter I saw standing water INSIDE the AC duck UNDER the AIRTIGHT HEPA FILTER????
IMG_4449.jpeg

IMG_4450.jpeg

No doubt this wasn't a good sign.... but HOW did water get in there??? A white rubber seal was pinched under the plastic and NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY.

BEFORE I FIXED IT:
IMG_4452.jpeg

AFTER I FIXED IT:
IMG_4453.jpeg

For comparison, here's what my 2023 Model Y looks like (All other images are from the 2022 Model Y that stinks):
IMG_4454.jpeg

The rubber gasket on the 2023 is noticeably bigger and installed correctly...

To wrap up, I replaced the HEPA filters, cleaned up the water and grime from within the AC duct, sprayed some antibacterial lysol in while air flow was moving, and ran the fan on high for 15 minutes, and fixed the rubber cover so it wasn’t wedged under the plastic.

I'll have to wait until it rains again to see if it really worked but the smell wasn't there when I closed everything up after I was done. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I got the kit from CPR Tesla repair - I did it twice (2 bottles of evaporator cleaner) it still smells very bad. I have another service appointment for Black Friday. wondering if I should have them replace the Bioweapon filter. Getting close to wanted to get rid of the car the smell is so bad. Water has to be getting in somewhere.

I’m having an appt this week for them to address the smell

I told them in the app to replace the hepa filter and they came mobile and replaced the cabin filter. Not sure a human even looked at the chat. Now I’m having to waste more time going into service center.

Not long after I got my Model Y earlier this year, I began to smell a sweet/chemical smell that reminded me a bit of latex paint. It seemed to occur more with high humidity, rain, or after washing the car and generally only occurred in mild/cool temperatures. When it was dry, hot, or cold, I didn't notice the odor as much or at all. At times, it could be so strong that it nearly burned my eyes and nose. I first noticed this when the car was only a few thousand miles old. I didn't take anything apart to inspect, but I had a "gut feeling" that it was the HEPA filter getting wet and I was smelling some of the chemicals used to manufacture the filter - it doesn't smell moldy or "bad" - just "chemical-like".

I saw the video in post #14 above and decided to try using Car Wash Mode while hand washing the car this weekend. To my surprise and delight, there was NO odor after this weekend's wash.

This is persistent problem with all Model Ys 3s and "Xs & Ss since 2021" with the latest evaporator units. Just had a technician replace my cabin filter, he also showed me how easy it was so it will be self maintenance now.

He told me Tesla has not and probably will not put anything in writing and that it is a 100% known issue by Tesla and they offer no fix / advice / help for it even to their technicians.

Really sucks when the mobile repair guy is one I have known since my first 2015 MS and now 4th S and a 2107 X and he said "this is the first Tesla you have had this issue with right?" Pretty crappy on Tesla's part doing nothing to help us!!

Being the family toter, every time it rains they complain of the "old we shoe smell" and rightfully so. 🤦‍♂️