Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC turning on while car is parked and no scheduled departure (preconditioning) set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my car so apologies if this is a stupid question. I also did a search and did find some matching posts but they kind of tapered off without any solution; so hoping to find a solution.

A couple of days ago, I went to the app and set Scheduled departure at 6:30 am and turned preconditioning onON and when it was time to leave I saw the AC was on and thought to myself that’s great!

Now , moving forward the following day, I didn’t need the car at 6:30 am so I went to the app timo turn scheduled departure OFF but didn’t find that was an option so I just turned preconditioning OFF thinking that will be enough.
However, when I woke up I saw a notification saying that my car has reached desired temperature; so I opened the app and saw HVAC was still on.

I don’t get it, why would this be the case? Car is in an open parking spot and temperature outside was 39 so not that cold that car needed to warm itself. I also have overheat protection OFF not that it’s relevant here. Since, I woke upto this I don’t know what the state of charge was before the HVAC turned on.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I don’t want battery being used for Climate control when I don’t need to use the car.

You need to physically turn it off in your car.

"Scheduled Departure" is for human comfort so your HVAC will continue.

"Preconditioning" is for your battery.

2 different tasks.
Thank you for your reply. I posted a reply earlier to you but not sure what happened.

yeah, I figured out that they were separate things. But the app says “Set climate and preheat battery” and you can toggle it on/off

I’ve that turned off.

To clarify, when you said I need to turn it off in the car, did you mean there is a toggle for scheduled departure in the car that needs to be turned off?

Thank you for your reply. I posted a reply earlier to you but not sure what happened.

yeah, I figured out that they were separate things. But the app says “Set climate and preheat battery” and you can toggle it on/off

I’ve that turned off.

To clarify, when you said I need to turn it off in the car, did you mean there is a toggle for scheduled departure in the car that needs to be turned off?

It's not an actual on/off button but it's the button that says "Switch..." that you need to configure.

You want your car's screen to say:

"Scheduled Charge Start"
"Switch to Scheduled Departure"

If your car's screen says:

"Scheduled Departure"
"Switch to Scheduled Charging"

Then that's the wrong settings for what you want.