Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC UI design sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla-model-3-interior-air-vent-control.jpg

Yeah, it's all there.

Lol. I just found a similar picture, although not as big, showing the same thing. Thanks!!!

It looks like there are icons for each (defrost, vent and floor). It'll be interesting to see how you can use 2 or all 3 together at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK
You'd thinks so, right?

After all that's the "promise" of OTA software updates.

Reality is, they don't change clearly bad stuff after 3 years. ... and counting.

Stuff like this often never hits the radar, or falls off the bottom of "interested" pile, or whatever... just be prepared to never see better vent controls and be happy with what you see you're buying. However, there is no sure bet that things will stay this way and won't change for the worse.... Tesla sometimes makes "improvements" that ... aren't welcomed by many. Brace for poor vent controls getting even sloppier one day when nobody saw it coming.

Many of us think that the dudes don't design / think / develop / test this stuff in real cars until the beta is upon us.

You're hung up on the weakest point.

I suppose I don't have to adjust them while moving, but since the majority of my commute is freeway, I would have to exit and pull over to do so. So I do normally make the second adjustment while driving. I guess I am surprised others don't ever adjust their vents.

If the vents get tied to my profile, I could just make two profiles: one with the vents pointed at me, and one with them away. It would be even nicer if I could save vent profiles independently of my seat profile. All of which is possible with the vents controlled by the touchscreen.

I agree with you (and the Jalopnik article) - other than the ability to have the vents initial setting tied to a profile this seems like a step backwards almost across the board. Heck, I have the right thumb wheel on our Model S tied to the fan control (hopefully the Model 3 will allow the same).

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
I agree with you (and the Jalopnik article) - other than the ability to have the vents initial setting tied to a profile this seems like a step backwards almost across the board. Heck, I have the right thumb wheel on our Model S tied to the fan control (hopefully the Model 3 will allow the same).
I love how the tweet of the person, that actually used it in real life, said it was genius.
bill lee on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and tracksyde
This thread isn't talking about a touchscreen being more dangerous than physical buttons which I'm not sure it is. Even with physical buttons you have to look down and take your eyes off the road.

My comment was only addressing people who have big concerns about the way the AC is being controlled. If you're someone who adjusts the AC frequently and insist on having button, then the Model 3 isn't the right car for you. Just like the iPhone isn't the right phone for everyone.

Car dashboards that act like smart phones raise safety issues

From the above:

“You can’t be looking at a screen and be looking at the road at the same time,” said David Strayer, a professor of cognition and neural science at the University of Utah, who has written several studies on distracted driving. The screens “are enabling activities that take your eyes off the road for longer than most safety advocates would say is safe.”

From the above:

“You can’t be looking at a screen and be looking at the road at the same time,” said David Strayer, a professor of cognition and neural science at the University of Utah, who has written several studies on distracted driving. The screens “are enabling activities that take your eyes off the road for longer than most safety advocates would say is safe.”
Again this thread is about the controls for the HVAC system. The article you posted has a picture of a car with physical buttons to control the HVAC.

From the above:

It's not like you're reading a web browser while driving. You're actually taking your eyes off the road for less time than you would for physical vents as previously mentioned.

I mean if you were using the center screen to check Elon's twitter feed while driving down the road then that's pretty distracting.

The next paragraph from the article you cited says:
His research shows that reading the average text message—a function some of the screens support—takes four seconds, far longer than what he considers safe.

I can locate and put my fingers on some dots in front of me quicker than it takes me to look in a rearview mirror to try to recognize a cop car half a mile back.