Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC UI design sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You literally said "go and by [sic] the gen 2 volt." Lol
That comment was to a person who said the gen 2 volt was better received than the gen 1 volt because they went back to physical buttons. So yes, if he thinks the gen 2 volt is a solid car and he prefers the physical buttons than he should buy it. Why is that bad advice? Whether it's an inferior car or not is a personal opinion and depends on the intended use. If a primary concern is adjusting the AC and you don't like the touchscreen option wouldn't the gen 2 volt with physical buttons be superior?

Please don't tell me I have a poor understanding of the English language and then come out and use the wrong verb tense of bias.

The author is BIASED.

The author has a BIAS.
That's a typo. I'm sorry my auto correct offended you.

My comment that you're referencing was in regards to you using words like "dumb". An online forum really isn't a place to be putting on your grammar Nazi hat.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
The 2017+ Porsche Panamera has a touch screen UI for the center vents. Here is a pic/video for comparison:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: AssortedBread
I find it interesting that people care this much about the AC vents. Honestly, how many times have you adjusted it while you're driving? In my car I haven't touched it for years.

You serious? I have adjusted the airvents in any car I have ever driven almost on every drive. Sometimes I want the air in my face, sometimes above, sometimes below, sometimes to the left, and so on. It's not about the temperature, it's about the airflow. Of course I can pre-heat or -cool the cabin via the app, but during a drive the HVAC has to keep the temperature steady, which on very hot or cold days means it has to transmit quite a noticeable airflow.

About the Model 3 system, I will reserve judgement until I have experienced it firsthand - which will be quite a while...

Reactions: jsmay311
You serious? I have adjusted the airvents in any car I have ever driven almost on every drive. Sometimes I want the air in my face, sometimes above, sometimes below, sometimes to the left, and so on. It's not about the temperature, it's about the airflow. Of course I can pre-heat or -cool the cabin via the app, but during a drive the HVAC has to keep the temperature steady, which on very hot or cold days means it has to transmit quite a noticeable airflow.

About the Model 3 system, I will reserve judgement until I have experienced it firsthand - which will be quite a while...
The question in my comment was a serious question as I was curious if people really adjusted their vents. I'm am surprised that some people do adjust the vents as much as you are mentioning. But my bigger point still remains that the article is garbage because he hasn't even tried it and is given an opinion purely based off a 10 second video.

I've had my current vehicle for about four years, I've only adjusted the air vents a single time when I bought the car.
Based on the reaction to my comment I would say it's pretty even between people who don't really adjust their vents and those who adjusts it a lot. It will be interesting to get some feedback once the car is out from people who are in the 2nd camp on how they like the UI.
upload_2017-8-17_13-41-57.png

Reactions: JeffK
what the heck... that physical vent is right below the screen. I'm not sure what benefit that provides at all.
You can control not just the front center vent, but also the one in the back using the touchscreen, which is handy particularly if there are small kids sitting there. You can also switch the airflow between focused and diffused which is not possible with most mechanically operated vents (here too Tesla seems to have taken some "insipiration" from Porsche).

I agree with the author about the singular point control being the wrong way to depict airflow. It's confusing and misleading, especially after Elon's tweet about two intersecting planes of air. Why not depict two planes on the UI with a giant "plus" shape?

upload_2017-8-17_17-21-34.png

The question in my comment was a serious question as I was curious if people really adjusted their vents. .

I do.. I'm always adjusting them in the S maybe in some kind of weird hopeful way that if they're adjusted just right, maybe they'll blow harder or hotter in the winter...

Some cars if you adjust the thingy to the extreme left or right position, it closes the vent. So I'm obsessively checking that I haven't accidentally close the vent in the S.. by feeling for airflow. I don't even know if this "trick" is possible with the vent design in S...

I agree with the author about the singular point control being the wrong way to depict airflow. It's confusing and misleading, especially after Elon's tweet about two intersecting planes of air. Why not depict two planes on the UI with a giant "plus" shape?

View attachment 242200

You mean, more like this... what S does with audio balance.

balance.jpg

So here's a case in point about good / bad UI.

Here's a control that moves sound around the car. Suppose you know nothing about the proper way to set balance for car audio and suppose Tesla took a clean slate approach to sound balance...

When you see this audio control, the idea is you stick your finger the circle and move the crosshairs around. This will affect the amount of sound per speaker in those areas. OK easy enough to do.

Scenario: You're the only person in the car driving it.

Question: where should you locate the crosshairs in this scenario for best stereo effect?

Possible answers:
"Don't care" leave in the middle of the car, default, as shown. I never adjust balance since car was new.
"Position sound circle on my head in the driver's seat for best stereo effect in that spot."
"Position it to what is most pleasing to me that takes into consideration of my hearing impairments."
"Position it roughly in the left rear passenger seat floor area... you know, because intuitively that's what produces the best stereo effect for my head."

Which is the right answer for a brand new UI opportunity? What do you think Tesla chose to do?

Are you bound by apathy, legacy, practicality, intuition, ... it would influence what you do on this screen.

Sometimes designers get flashes of brilliance and turn the world on its head.. and might come up with: you move the circle to your head for best stereo sound there. The flash of brilliance did not go off in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: davedavedave
I see some people saying they have only adjusted their vents once in 4 years.... come on. I will just speak personally, living in Vegas where it gets to be 105+, plus having a wife and kids in the car, the vents go all over the place. First she's too hot, then too cold, then its too in her face, now her feet are cold, and I won't even start on the kids. And even for myself, I am adjusting them all the time. Outside of my keyfob concerns, this has now taken the #1 concern spot for someone who changes AC settings and directions on the fly constantly.

I really dislike people getting into my car and messing with the radio, changing the temp and air flow. It is rude. I have been known to pull over and tell them to quit or get out and then reset everything. I would love an option to lock all that stuff. We have a rule in our family that the driver controls the radio, etc. change drivers , change to their settings. Works for us.

Reactions: AceSkywalker