TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HVAC warnings

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by BartJ, Feb 11, 2015.

1. BartJ

BartJ Member

During cooldown, I often get following warnings from the VMS

id : 1453
    hvac high pressure

id 1463
    hvac compressor over temp

do I need to worry ?

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I'd have it checked out, those are not normal messages from a healthy Roadster. And the HVAC is a very important part of the battery system. The overtemp message is the one I'd be concerned about and most likely why the pressure increased with the HVAC system.

You noted that your warranty is expiring in Apr '15 in another thread, so with that I'd make an appointment as soon as you can with Tesla.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I complained about continuous HVAC Compressor Over Temp messages during charging - multiple warnings every night - in the log for two years, and was told it was normal.

Then I had the HVAC upgrade, where they replace the front radiator assembly. They had to recharge my freon. The Ranger said that one of the gadgets tends to freeze up during the charge process, and he was worried it had happened. So he checked my logs remotely and came back that evening and did it again. This time it worked properly and not only did the air conditioner work MUCH better, I never saw another one of those messages in the log.

So, no it is NOT normal, even if they tell you it is. And they often under-charged the freon at the factory, no doubt due to the "gadget freezing up" problem (he didn't say what the gadget did).

4. BartJ

BartJ Member

My car was in the service center today to look at this issue :

diagnosis : to much refrigerant fluid in the circuits
    fix : empty the hvac , vacuum it , and refill.