Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC went pop. Has DC/DC converter also failed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HVAC turned on via app, when I got in the car 10 mins later and put it in drive, loud electrical-type pop noise somewhere on driver's side (RHD). HVAC now blows cold air, no heating.

Other posts indicate HVAC failure may take out the DC/DC converter. In that case, I assume (?) 12v battery will go flat. Is there any way of assessing converter function and/or 12v battery status, other than waiting for a message of doom on the car screen?

One of those voltmeters that plugs into the power port will tell you a lot.
Voltage above 13 volts means the battery is being charged. Voltage below 12 volts means the battery is not being charged when it needs to be charged.
With a regular voltmeter open the hood, Pull the plastic that surrounds the windshield washer filler.
That gives access to the jump point. If the car was built before October 2014 pull the nose cone and the jump point is on the steel cross beam.

From other people here that have had this problem, I believe the air conditioner, heater, and charging on the 12V are different fuses.

Checking the 12V battery voltage at the cigarette lighter plug will tell you if it’s getting charge as posted above