Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 2.5 or HW 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received and installed the update today to 2019.32.1 53f03e4.. I got my M3 AWD FSD 2 weeks ago today (I know almost 1k already I just can‘t stop driving) I was checking the dash cam mode when I came across a YouTube video saying that if your dash am records in H.264 you have HW 2.5 and if does in H.265 you have HW 3. My car production date sticker says 8/2019 and the dash cam video recording on H.264.. what gives? Does that mean the FDS features won’t all be available? I though they switched to HW 3 back in April.

Attachments

• C3EBD67E-326B-4827-8AC1-B645D49D094E.jpeg
    C3EBD67E-326B-4827-8AC1-B645D49D094E.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 91
I received and installed the update today to 2019.32.1 53f03e4.. I got my M3 AWD FSD 2 weeks ago today (I know almost 1k already I just can‘t stop driving) I was checking the dash cam mode when I came across a YouTube video saying that if your dash am records in H.264 you have HW 2.5 and if does in H.265 you have HW 3. My car production date sticker says 8/2019 and the dash cam video recording on H.264.. what gives? Does that mean the FDS features won’t all be available? I though they switched to HW 3 back in April.

The H.265 encoder produced corrupted video files so Tesla changed that to H.264 for HW3 also. Mine is HW3 and used to write H.265 files (that were often glitchy).

Lots of confusion about this, and for good reason. With Firmware 2019.28, Tesla switched the HW3 cars to H264, so at this point the only way to tell is to take the dash apart and read the part number on the computer.

Most cars since April are HW3, but there are documented cases of HW2.5 in a few cases on cars that didn't order FSD initially (thought to be using up remaining supplies, but we don't know.)

Considering that it doesn't matter.....
Ironically it DOES matter and HW2.5 is BETTER for now. Code is written for HW2.5 and HW3 is likely emulating and not as good. Likely that there will not be any HW3 specific code until next year. So getting HW3 is a DOWNGRADED for now. There is NO reason to think HW3 is needed now and I have it.

And yes people need to stop worrying about it now and let Tesla take care of getting service resources up to the number of 3's n the road.

Last edited:
Ironically it DOES matter and HW2.5 is BETTER for now. Code is written for HW2.5 and HW3 is likely emulating and not as good. Likely that there will not be any HW3 specific code until next year. So getting HW3 is a DOWNGRADED for now. There is NO reason to think HW3 is needed now and I have it.

Yes that is my understanding as well but it's almost impossible to explain that something older is better so it seems pointless to try.

Reactions: JulienW