Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 2.5 with EAP puddle avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After very heavy rains today was driving about 25 mph along curvy 2 lane road with puddles. The car edged about a foot to the left to avoid large puddles slightly over the right lane line. For a large puddle across the lane it braked almost to a stop before I took over. Version 24.6.9

After very heavy rains today was driving about 25 mph along curvy 2 lane road with puddles. The car edged about a foot to the left to avoid large puddles slightly over the right lane line. For a large puddle across the lane it braked almost to a stop before I took over. Version 24.6.9
That’s a new feature to prevent the rear bumper from falling off;)

QUESTION: The puddle comments remind me of a question. I do not have EAP or even AP but I have been curious about potholes and man-hole-covers. Does AP even try to avoid hitting them? Where I live the highway departments pay ZERO attention to leveling the man-hole-covers with the highway. Z E R O! I try assiduously to avoid damaging my tires and my undercarriage by missing them if at all possible. I'm about 90% successful. Anyway, I'd love to know if AP cares about missing potholes and man-hole-covers and even more curious about whether AP succeeds...and how.. Thanks.

QUESTION: The puddle comments remind me of a question. I do not have EAP or even AP but I have been curious about potholes and man-hole-covers. Does AP even try to avoid hitting them? Where I live the highway departments pay ZERO attention to leveling the man-hole-covers with the highway. Z E R O! I try assiduously to avoid damaging my tires and my undercarriage by missing them if at all possible. I'm about 90% successful. Anyway, I'd love to know if AP cares about missing potholes and man-hole-covers and even more curious about whether AP succeeds...and how.. Thanks.

No but the computer can see puddles on the ground for real.

Where it braked for the large puddle crossing the road it previously had passed it normally. There was only a center line. It saw it as a hazard. Over six months ago the car wouldn't cross a 3 ft. wide pothole about 3 inches deep during smart summon.
This car is seeing and understanding much more than most people think.

It’s easy to mistake a coincidentally correct action due to what is actually a mistake/other change as AP being more sophisticated than it actually is, but rest assured it doesn’t understand water pools or pot holes. The change in the appearance of the road caused a different response, sure, but it isn’t because the car’s programming deals with puddles at all. What AP does do, and this is well documented, is mistake any dark patch (most often shadows) as an obstacle to avoid.

Last edited: