Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 3.0 Upgrade from 2.0 - very very pleased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to pop in to say that if you have not received the 3.0 upgrade yet, it's worth the wait. Dash Cam and Sentry Mode downloads are fun gadgets to have, but the real win comes with the traffic signal awareness. So incredible.

Today, driving along on AP, tapped the accelerator to go through a green light, but the light changed to yellow shortly thereafter. Car recognized the change to yellow and slowed to a stop at the line. That was impressive.

Overall AP is smoother and definitely more natural, in addition to self park and summon behaving more naturally.

I was trying to explain to someone what this means as a car owner and all I could come up with is that the "vehicle" part of the car is basically like a computer peripheral. Every time you get a new computer you don't necessarily replace the mouse, keyboard and screen. This feels like an upgrade to a newer car without getting new windows, doors, seats, etc.

What version firmware did your 3.0 computer come with?

I had 2020.20.5 before the install and 2020.20.12 came with the new computer.

Shortly thereafter the car (December 2016 S) updated to and remains at 2020.20.17 which appears to be about 8 weeks older than the latest update.

Did you just upgrade the FSD computer? Or did you purchase MCU2 also?
My FSD computer upgrade has not been so positive. I did not upgrade the MCU (was not available). Not recognizing street lights or signs, severe lag before the backup camera starts, frequent Bluetooth reinitializing and dropping of my phone, routinely goes to the radio station on entering the car instead of my phone connection. I even lost my front right turn signal for a day. I(has since functioned normal.)
I have had the upgrade for several weeks now. Currently on software 2020.24.6.4 with a new download in progress (2020.24.6.11) that appears to be stuck for the past 3 days. Nov 2016 AP 2.0 vehicle.

My FSD computer upgrade has not been so positive. I did not upgrade the MCU (was not available). Not recognizing street lights or signs, severe lag before the backup camera starts, frequent Bluetooth reinitializing and dropping of my phone, routinely goes to the radio station on entering the car instead of my phone connection. I even lost my front right turn signal for a day. I(has since functioned normal.)
I have had the upgrade for several weeks now. Currently on software 2020.24.6.4 with a new download in progress (2020.24.6.11) that appears to be stuck for the past 3 days. Nov 2016 AP 2.0 vehicle.

Sounds like your MCU eMMC is on the fritz. For some reason the FSD computer seems to tax the MCU reads/writes substantially more, or just enough to really make the UI glitch out. I upgraded my eMMC and it's running decent again.

Sounds like your MCU eMMC is on the fritz. For some reason the FSD computer seems to tax the MCU reads/writes substantially more, or just enough to really make the UI glitch out. I upgraded my eMMC and it's running decent again.
The SC says my eMMC is fine after a remote evaluation of the logs and blamed it on my USB drive. After pulling the USB drive for Sentry/Dashcam, everything improved. The drive was full, but not corrupted. They also deleted my navigation data. I'm using a new High Endurance SD card with a USB 3.0 adapter. We'll see how long it takes problems to recur.

The SC says my eMMC is fine after a remote evaluation of the logs and blamed it on my USB drive. After pulling the USB drive for Sentry/Dashcam, everything improved. The drive was full, but not corrupted. They also deleted my navigation data. I'm using a new High Endurance SD card with a USB 3.0 adapter. We'll see how long it takes problems to recur.

Well, that improvement only lasted a couple of days. Temperature readings are again super low, -49F this morning. Which makes the AC blow hot air when its 80-90 degrees outside. That's not a comfortable experience! They offered me a loaner (Enterprise rental) after 4:00pm on Friday , but I didn't have time to get it after work.

Received notification last night that new software was downloading (2020.32.something) and got excited there might be a fix on the way. This morning my phone alerted that I had new software, but when I opened the app there was no hint of any new software. The car states software is current with the 2020.24.6.11 version. What a disappointment! :-(

Just the HW. Still on MCU 1 though I am considering the upgrade now to essentially bring the car to a much newer spec. I haven't fully researched everything else yet to see if an MCU upgrade would actually produce that result.