Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 3.0 Upgrade Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the car is on NOA the car is afraid of the cones and says want to "move away from the cones." Especially, closer to my exit ramp there are lot of cones due to construction and the NOA would want to switch to the adjacent inner lane. I have to disable it each time.

I have an appointment this Friday morning Jan 17 at the Rocklin CA SC to have HW3 installed in my Mar 15, 2018 Model S MCU2, AP2.5, VIN 24x,xxx. I was not contacted, but instead inquired in person. The SC checked my VIN against the availability list and it was available for upgrade so they scheduled the appointment.

VIN Range 5YJXCBE255JF122
Geographic Location:Richmond VA
HW version BEFORE upgrade: 2.5
Upgrade Process: While on 3 week vacation, route was planned to stop in Richmond for snow tires before continuing North. Service center stated car is flagged for upgrade. Gave us a loaner, drove around Richmond, later that afternoon, picked up car and continued our journey. Upgrade was conducted on December 23 2019. MCU stayed the same.
Any other useful information: Not really but you're welcome to watch out Grand tour video traveling over 5,000 miles on this trip.

VIN Range, excluding last 3 digits: 076
Geographic Location: Los Angeles, CA
HW version BEFORE upgrade: HW 2.5
MCU version BEFORE upgrade: MCU 2.0

Upgrade Process: Took my car in for MCU screen, and IC cluster. They said they would do HW3 + MCU but IC cluster is still in development. No notification was given. Infact most of my news comes from this forum in regards to my car. LOL..

Any other useful information:

Tesla.jpg

zSbhDpW

VIN Range, excluding last 3 digits: 58XXX
Geographic Location: Los Angeles, CA
HW version BEFORE upgrade: HW 2.5
MCU version BEFORE upgrade: MCU 2.0
When FSD was purchased: After delivery when they had a sale on March 2019.
Which Tesla Service Center: Pomona, CA

Upgrade Process: Sent a request for the HW3 retrofit late December which they approved and scheduled me for service. I took the car in yesterday and picked it up early this morning.

As someone who owns an AP2 car I see NO way that TESLA will honor the AP3 swap

One way would be for Tesla to buy back all AP2 cars that purchased FSD before a certain date.

Had we known it was really going to be 3+ years for FSD, we would've just leased instead of buying our cars outright. If they could change my purchased car over to a lease and then deduct a 'lease payment' for the past three years, I could return the 'leased' car to them. Tesla could then resell those cars, specifically stating FSD would no longer be possible on AP2 cars. The "residual" amount that we already paid would be enough (or nearly enough) to buy a new AP3 Long Range Model S, thanks to the huge price drops over the past 3 years.

The chances of this happening are pretty slim, but there are ways to 'swap' hardware...they just might need to swap the entire car.

This has NOTHING to do WITH MCU version, and EVERYTHING to do with AP version
AP2.5 is plug and play to AP3
AP2 has no hopes unless they build an AP3 unit for AP2 cars.

MCU revision is closely tied to AP version but not totally
MCU1 = AP2 and AP2.5
MCU2 = AP2.5 and AP3

As someone who owns an AP2 car I see NO way that TESLA will honor the AP3 swap

View attachment 501346 View attachment 501347

But then why are they only upgrading mcu2 ap 2.5 cars

I have an appointment this Friday morning Jan 17 at the Rocklin CA SC to have HW3 installed in my Mar 15, 2018 Model S MCU2, AP2.5, VIN 24x,xxx. I was not contacted, but instead inquired in person. The SC checked my VIN against the availability list and it was available for upgrade so they scheduled the appointment.

Scheduled appointment completed. 3 hours in and out. Excellent service experience. IC indicated it was calibrating for the first 10 miles and then everything worked as expected.

Reactions: quickstrike12
One way would be for Tesla to buy back all AP2 cars that purchased FSD before a certain date.

Had we known it was really going to be 3+ years for FSD, we would've just leased instead of buying our cars outright. If they could change my purchased car over to a lease and then deduct a 'lease payment' for the past three years, I could return the 'leased' car to them. Tesla could then resell those cars, specifically stating FSD would no longer be possible on AP2 cars. The "residual" amount that we already paid would be enough (or nearly enough) to buy a new AP3 Long Range Model S, thanks to the huge price drops over the past 3 years.

The chances of this happening are pretty slim, but there are ways to 'swap' hardware...they just might need to swap the entire car.

I have a 2017 HW1 car and they are still offering me FSD thru MyTesla. Hard to believe they’ve determined there is no upgrade path if they’re still selling FSD to 1.0 cars.

MS 100D, 11/18 build, VIN 289XXX, MCU 2, AP2.5 upgraded to HW3 today in Jacksonville, FL. FSD purchased when I took delivery in 3/19. I requested service through the Tesla app to address B pillar cameras/AP not working and voice commands not working. (firmware 2019.40.50.7) First told that a mobile service was scheduled then told that HW 3 was available and a service at Jacksonville scheduled. Installation took 60 minutes. Cameras had worked on the trip to Jacksonville so no repair needed. Voice control still problematic and must wait for OTA update.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
MS 100D, 11/18 build, VIN 289XXX, MCU 2, AP2.5 upgraded to HW3 today in Jacksonville, FL. FSD purchased when I took delivery in 3/19. I requested service through the Tesla app to address B pillar cameras/AP not working and voice commands not working. (firmware 2019.40.50.7) First told that a mobile service was scheduled then told that HW 3 was available and a service at Jacksonville scheduled. Installation took 60 minutes. Cameras had worked on the trip to Jacksonville so no repair needed. Voice control still problematic and must wait for OTA update.

Anyone seeing a common trend here? If you have S or X with MCU2 you can get the upgrade

This is some pretty terrible news hearing more and more about the realities of HW2 cars getting the upgrade.
I see the HW2 cars getting a modified HW3 computer best case scenario, and that having negatives that come with it. Perhaps never Hands Free level autonomy for example

This is some pretty terrible news hearing more and more about the realities of HW2 cars getting the upgrade.
I see the HW2 cars getting a modified HW3 computer best case scenario, and that having negatives that come with it. Perhaps never Hands Free level autonomy for example

Expect a lawsuit if thats the case. They have an obligation to make it work and not some torn down version. Or they could just keep us in Limbo for years.

Reactions: Bluejuice

I don't see any reports of HW2, just of S&X with HW2.5.
Do you have any specific examples of HW2?